240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Engine running backwards?

Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by OlderThanMe
I have the problem where when I turn my engine off it deisels and runs backwards after a long time of running. When it happens I put in 4th and release the clutch to stall it. I think it has somthing to do with the advance. Try using regular (87 octane) gas and see if you still have the problem. I run my z on plus (90 grade fuel) and it deisels a little bit but not much. usually I can stall it before it starts running backwards.

My $.02
You might have a bad ecu or ignition module on the distributor is bad. You could hook up a timing light to each plug wire to see if you're getting fire on time. Check your coil and coil wire too.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:30 PM

On my L26 I have new ignition except for the base of the distributer. what is the ecu? plus I have dual SU carbs from a 240z. And performance stuff in the engine (I was told a it has a camshaft and "other equiptment inside the engine")
You say L26 so I assume your engine is a '74. You don't have an ECU or ECM. If your car is a '76 it has or did have an ECM. Starter fluid is to hot to fill the manifold when you are getting intermitent spark which is why it coughs flames. Check for spark at each of the plugs and work from there. Sounds like your car is a mix of years so it could be hard to find the problem without the right test equipment.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:28 PM

ahah

the z is a 74' 260z with several engine mods and 240z carbs. I dont think it is belching fire but it used to belch gasoline at the hood through the overflow on the bowls of the carbs. I made it deisel less by turning the left adjustment screw out and lower my idle to ~800 rpm (was at 1100) and now it shuts off fine
The over flow as you call it is a vent. There is a vacuum hose that goes from each carb bowl to the back of the air cleaner to prevent engine fires. If you are blowing gas then your carbs need some work, maybe only clean the seats in the bowls. It should never squirt gas. No properly tuned car will diesel. If your vacuum advance isn't working, the previous owner may have advanced the timing to get top end perfomance. This will make it ping at low end and diesel. It will also burn your valves. The left screw you turned is the front carb air flow balance linkage. This linkage is meant to even the air flow of both carbs at idle. The fuel mix ratio is adjusted with the thumb wheel under the carb.
Once you've got you timing correct it probably won't idle good. Next adjust the linkage (left screw) using an air flow gage, MSA sells them. Next, at idle turn the thumb screw (idle fuel mix) in until it starts to run rough, then back it out until it smoothes out, repeat on both carbs at least twice.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:30 PM

I set it up good where it won't spit gas anymore or deisel after shutoff, I had set the timing at about 14*btdc but it was at 6-7* btdc so I think I will go back to about 10-11*btdc to keep from burning anything up.
thanx
According to the manual the correct timing for the '70-'72 is 5* BTDC. '73-'74 is 7* BTDC @ 750 rpm with vacuum advance disconnected.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Dead

it sounds like your timing chain slipped.. This would cause the valve timing to be off and would cause backfires out the intake. If you haven't messed with anything, then your ignition timing is probably not off. That could be easily checked with a timing light, even though your car is not running. A timing chain usually slips when the engine is shut off.. It runs good then won't start the next time you what to drive it. It would be easy to check, by taking off your valve cover. Look at the chain and gear and check for excessive wear and looseness. Good luck!
-jeremy-
Old 08-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by zguy36
it sounds like your timing chain slipped.. This would cause the valve timing to be off and would cause backfires out the intake. If you haven't messed with anything, then your ignition timing is probably not off. That could be easily checked with a timing light, even though your car is not running. A timing chain usually slips when the engine is shut off.. It runs good then won't start the next time you what to drive it. It would be easy to check, by taking off your valve cover. Look at the chain and gear and check for excessive wear and looseness. Good luck!
-jeremy-
i concouer i belive zguy36 is on the right track for your problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:37 AM
The Evil Twin

Yes, I would say that too. Hopefully you haven't been stuck at your friend's house for the last 3 months!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Z Extreme Guy

dam my bad did not see date. sorry i hope you have got it fixed already.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM

join z club

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
dam my bad did not see date. sorry i hope you have got it fixed already.
I would like to get ahold of you about joining the reno club. Please call
328-1401 8 AM-3PM Ted Christianson
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 PM

I'm in!

C
Originally Posted by TEDS280Z
I would like to get ahold of you about joining the reno club. Please call
328-1401 8 AM-3PM Ted Christianson
Call you tomorrow!