240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

CAMbiar mi CAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:38 AM

CAMbiar mi CAM

I have a used performance cam and I'm thinking about using it. I know when going with a new cam, you need rocker arms / rocker guides, will putting new rockers / guides on a used came work out OK? What about springs? I've also heard to only use Nissan rockers. These aren't cheap. Anyone have any leads on good prices / good alternatives / suggestions?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 AM

If your new-to-that-head cam is at all more "aggressive" than the stock cam (greater lift and/or duration), then you run the risk of valve float at higher rpms if you use your stock springs. And of course on an interference engine like the S30 L series, that could mean damaged valvesHow much risk depends of course on how radical the cam is and what the current springs are like. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd get a full valve job, new rockers, lash pads and springs. The MSA kit is about $550. While they're sometimes more expensive than some other suppliers, that's still relatively cheap compared to repairs if you have a cam install go wrong. Of course, that's the start of the "while you're at it" road, which means porting and polishing, too . I don't know about having to use Nissan only rockers, but I've not used anyone else's. Anybody else here have some info on that?
good luck,
Dave
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks Dave - just thinking a bit here this morning and wondering if it would be worth the trouble to go with the hot cam. I had heard that the Nissan rockers are about the best and that in some of my reading others have had problems with other brands??? Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by ZChief
Thanks Dave - just thinking a bit here this morning and wondering if it would be worth the trouble to go with the hot cam. I had heard that the Nissan rockers are about the best and that in some of my reading others have had problems with other brands??? Thanks for the info!!
I would only use Nissan rockers. I've seen too many 'aftermarket' rocker arms with pads that looked like the surface of the moon after only a few thousand miles. Pot metal is what comes to mind.

These will grind down your cam in a heartbeat. literally.

The pad metal on the Nissan rocker arms is high quality.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 AM

yep - that's exactly what I read "the aftermarket rockers are porus / wear down.