240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

First time brake job

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 06:11 PM

First time brake job

Ok folks,
my lovely 78 needs new rotors and pads. I bought new rotors and pads from MSA, but I have never attempted this before. Chiltons makes it sound fairly easy, but I have never done brakes before. I know I need to bleed the lines after I have installed the rotors & pads. Any helpful hints for a first timer?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Just follow the directions in repair manual--stay in the shade--and take your time--and double check all bolts and connections. Oh when you take things apart try to lay them out in a manner in which they came apart, just like you would see in a exploded view drawing. Engineer coming out--sorry.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:34 PM

Talking

First of all , you don't need to bleed the brakes if you don't involve the cylinders in the replacement of the pads or shoes . I replaced the rotors and pads and the shoes on the drums and never disconnected the brake lines . I believe it is a good practice to bleed the fluid every year if the car is driven hard on street use. But it is not manditory .If used on the track , after each race. Brake fluid absorbes moisture and this causes rust and pitting of the brake cylinders . The moisture is from the heating and cooling of the brake cylinders while in use . This causes moisture to condence in the fluid. If the wheel cylinders are not leaking fluid I dont change them but I do bleed the systime and flush out the old fluid . When replacing the pads and or shoes , just do one wheel at a time and watch and keep track how each part was assembled and reassemble in the same manner. read your manual and pay attention and you wont have trouble.