240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Door window glass

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 AM

Door window glass

The passenger side door window would'nt roll up and down on the 77 280z I'm fixing up, so I pulled the door panel and the glass is not attached to the regulator. It appears to not even fit at all. The glass has been busted at some time or the other because broken glass is scattered around inside the door.
I pulled the part that the window is supposed to attach to and there is no way it will work right. Is it possible that someone tried to use one out of a 280ZX or something? The glass looks the same but it just don't fit at the attachment points.
Anybody know what's going on?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:30 AM

There were a couple of variations on door window glass attachment over the course of the S30 span of years. On my '78, which should be the same as yours, the glass has two holes molded into it, through which a couple of bolts pass, along with an army of washers and rubber and such, which hold it to a really large zinc-plated sheet of metal. That metal has the guide points bolted to it (platic glider-type things), to ride in the window guide channels that are bolted into the door shell. The regulator attaches via two smaller screws to about the middle, bottom portion of that piece of metal that mounts the glass.
The earlier designs used a full frame (that chrome piece with the felt in it) that went clear down into the door, had a stabilizing roller or two, etc. It sounds like someone might have an early style piece of glass and/or mount in your later style door with it's guide channels and different mount hardware. My guess is they bought the piece, figured out that the mount was different, but that the glass was the same shape, and figured they could live with it in perma-position. Salvage yard is your best bet, but you could get new pieces from MSA or Vic Brit or some of the other on-line suppliers if you just want to make one call and be done with it.
good luck,
Dave
Old 11-16-2005, 02:04 PM

The window that I've got has seven holes in it. I'm definitly gonna have to find the right one. Thats for the info.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 PM

Seven? Wow, very different than mine. I suppose I could be remembering it incorrectly. I reassembled my doors about 6 weeks ago, but I don't even remember yesterday happening at all. All day today, I thought it was Tuesday. Just to be sure I'll re-check mine tonight and post a note tomorrow. 7 sure does sound vastly different, though.
Dave