240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

280z sitting for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Question 280z sitting for a long time

My grandmother has just given me a 280z that has been sitting for over 20 years and i would like to know what sort if internal problems could be caused by having sit that long. it has been sitting on jack stands in a garage and when I took a look at it there was no surface rust but the interior has been eaten by mice. my grandmother didnt know what year it was but it has the big ugly federal bumpers on it. I am planning on restoring it completely and i have already started saving my money since i am sure that it will be expensive. Anyways, if you could tell me any problems to look out for and give me any good advice that would be great.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

nasty, varnished gas!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM

will there be damage to the fuel tank if gas has been in it for that long?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

The gas can turn to sludge and cause problems. If there is old gas in the tank drop the tank clean it out with acetone or muriatic acid. If you use the acid be very careful. then put in new fuel lines since the tank is out. My injectors were plugged from old gas, I soaked them in acetone and gently scrubbed them with a nylon brush. put everything back together, new gas and start it up!

By the way... Welcome to ZDRIVER!!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 PM

thank you, and what about the cylinders, they must be frozen or have some serious problems
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Usually cylinders don't seize... Change the oil before you crank it over with the starter... That turn the motor over using the bolt on the crank pulley, and a 1/2" ratchet... If it turns all the way over they aren't seized... When you are ready to crank over the with the starter unplug the ignition coil and fuel pump relay an crank over the motor for 15 seconds... Let the starter cool down for 30 seconds than crank it over for another 15 seconds.. This builds up oil pressure and prevents the motor from starting before oil is in the top end of the engine... Put back the relay and hook the coil up fresh gas and fuel lines and see if it will start.. Good luck!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I have a present for you...

Mouse poop and urine can be hazardous to your health. Put on a dust mask and gloves to pull all the seats and carpet out. Vacuum it and clean as best you can. Check out all the wiring to avoid shorts. Don't bother trying to start it until you replace all the hoses or you will cause more problems. Good luck and welcome to Zdriver!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM

For very little money, these things will save you a lot of headache in the future.

For the year of the car, open the driver's side door and look at the plate on the column.

Find a Datsun Factory Service Manual. You can find a free one in PDF format online.

For your gas tank, I'd remove it from the car (very easy) and take it to a radiator shop. They will boil it out, making it look new (cost me $45). You'll have to repaint the outside and reseal the inside. The sealer can be found online for gas tanks. Sealing the inside doesn't have to be down right away.

While the tank is off, replace the rubber fuel lines.

Next, I'd blow air through the metal gas line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter to make sure the line is not clogged. Remove Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter before blowing air through the line. Buy a new fuel Filter. ($20)

Replace all the vacuum hoses on the engine. Do this one hose at a time to make sure they are connected properly. ($20 or less)

Inspect the front and back hoses on the Air Flow Meter. They are probably cracked and need to be replaced. Do not try to seal with tape. (1975 - 1978 z)

Replace the air filter. It maybe clogged with bugs that made it a home over the years. Air Flow Meter is just behind the air filter. (1975 - 1978 z)

When you put gas in the car, try to use non-ethanol gas, add some Sea Foam in the gas to help clean the fuel system. Non-ethanol gasoline will last longer in your tank without breaking down.

Change the oil and filter.

Flush the radiator.

Good Luck.

Jim