300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

1986 300ZX (Z31) starting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 PM

1986 300ZX (Z31) starting problems...

Ok guys and Nissan gals, no one seems to reply to any message I put up....?? So if someone cool enough, and intelligent in these matters, can help me out I am about ready to send a damn check to! So to the point, I am a proud owner of a beautiful 1986 Nissan 300ZX. This is a special car because it has the best of the 1985, and 1987 models. Not to mention it has a very special sentimental bond with me. Here is my issue. Sometimes the car fires up and runs great for anywhere between minutes, hours...and then die. Sometimes it will start right back up. Sometimes it needs to sit for a while then it will start back up and run normal again, until it acts up. When it acts up it almost seems like it looses all spark. I know it has nothing to do with the "theft" warning system. I know the fuel pump runs. I can hear it come on and pump up. The engine cranks over super strong. But nothing it just wont fire. I have been told by some of the Z friends I have that it sounds like a "crank angle sensor" but I cant determine whether the CAS is located in the distributor or on the front of the engine on my car.
I want anyone who reads this to understand this was my Uncles Car who meant the world to me. I inherited the car because he knew I loved this car from the day he bought it. It is a South Carolina car. Never seen salt, never seen snow. Is absolutely pristeen. I am losing my mind trying to get this car fixed and unfortunately there is not a good nissan/import mechanic within 100 miles of where I live. I usually perform all my own repairs. But this car has me totally lost at this point. I hope someone can help me out with some info here please. Thanks in advance! Greg
Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

get your starter checked. bad starter will pull volts down to where the electronics don't work. like I already said invest in new good like an Interstate battery and new cables,
get your fuel pressure not a guess. check for vacuum leaks the bane of the FI engine. change all the filters change all the fluids go synthetic engine, diffy and tranny. pay attention to the clutch hydraulics they tend to go bad at really awkward times. 40 bucks for the pair change slave and master.

z31s are pretty tough if it runs you just need to start eliminating problems. need fire air and fuel to run be sure you are getting all three.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 AM

Yep Im already on it. Im going to invest in a new battery. I work at a towing/collision shop so I will get the car down to the shop and start plugging away. I have your other message so I will buy some of the cleaning products you suggested as well. I know everyone post their problems, but not many people have answers so I want to thank you for your help. I sent you a private message. If you are interested write me back and let me know. I would like to communicate directly with you thru email or something. So I can show you photos of what has been done, what things look like etc. This is not some rusty crusty old car im trying to save RogerZ. And yes, uncle joe did take very good care of the car. Fluids, filters etc. Anyway thanks again buddy. I hope to hear from you.