300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

What is my motor worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:08 PM

What is my motor worth?

I pulled a 50th ae 84 vg30et complete with turbo out of an 84 300zx Turbo 50ae edition I found in a junk yard , I'm wanting to list it on ebay , and I know its gotta be worth quiet a bit because they only made 5,128 of these cars. I just need a general idea bottom dollar to take for it , I removed the fuel rail/injectors and Oil pan, exhaust manifolds , The crank turns over and internals look great. I just have no idea what to list it for , The car had 98,000 miles on odometer. Any information would be appreciated!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Get the VIN number from the '84 source car and run the CARFAX report to lock in the true mileage. Otherwise, nobody has to believe the low number - and they won't for a motor that old. It's a big deal for you. When you list it for sale, list the VIN too. Let 'em check it themselves. Put up clear complete photos, the more the better.

Car-part.com shows '84 turbo motors from $350 to $750 and up for non-special editions, the recyclers that list their price at least. Your mileage is really low so think the higher end of that range. Could get more if you find the right buyer and have most or all the essentials for the installation, i.e., you keep his custom fabrication work to a minimum.

Check the recycler where you got it and see if the rest of the car is still there - unless you already took the whole thing. Your buyer might want to buy the rest of it or at least the rest of the stuff under the hood. Maybe the recycler will hold off on the crusher for you. Good luck.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 03-21-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 PM

the car was crushed immediately after me pulling the motor , the reason I know this Is because my friend called me the day they were crushing it and I rushed down there to yank the motor out. But seeing as though the motor is from the 50th ae edition wouldn't that make it worth a lot more? I mean especially for someone wanting to do a real deal original restoration. I was thinking about pricing it at around a grand starting bid, does it cost money to run the vin on carfax? Also have the mounts to I believe.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM

The more parts you have the better. List them all in the ad. Ebay is big but somebody has to pick it up or pay trucking fee. That cuts your price. So advertise locally too. Craig's list is good.

So ask your $1,000 to start and allow Best Offers. If you auction it there, snipers have software that lets them bid in the last seconds so that depresses the bidding. Just have the Buy It Now price with Best Offers.

A single Carfax costs $40 I think, on-line.

Lots of great photos is important in your ads. Show all the details clearly, dirt, grime, grease and all. Hard to get much for an old motor, no matter how rare. Everyone will expect it needs a head gasket, maybe even rings, etc. The question always comes up... If it's so good, why did you swap it out? or not install it yourself? Could look suspicious even when it isn't.

I am wondering if the '84s had air-cooled turbos that were fairly easy to burn out... and a lot of guys did that. So Nissan switched to oil-cooled later on. Ask the Z31 pros here. They will have the facts on that. It could affect your sale price.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 03-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
The more parts you have the better. List them all in the ad. Ebay is big but somebody has to pick it up or pay trucking fee. That cuts your price. So advertise locally too. Craig's list is good.

So ask your $1,000 to start and allow Best Offers. If you auction it there, snipers have software that lets them bid in the last seconds so that depresses the bidding. Just have the Buy It Now price with Best Offers.

A single Carfax costs $40 I think, on-line.

Lots of great photos is important in your ads. Show all the details clearly, dirt, grime, grease and all. Hard to get much for an old motor, no matter how rare. Everyone will expect it needs a head gasket, maybe even rings, etc. The question always comes up... If it's so good, why did you swap it out? or not install it yourself? Could look suspicious even when it isn't.
lol , I pulled it with the intentions of using it for parts but then when I realized what it was , I decided to sell the engine , I used the oil pan and exhaust mani on the turbo conversion Im doing , I thought about rebuilding the motor as I am an automotive technician (I've already passed my ASE's , I just have to complete the program Im taking in order to get my last year needed to be certified), I just recently opened my own shop as well. Due to the steep cost of building a garage , and buying all the necessary equipment needed to get started , I have run out of funds for my project, So I figure sell this motor and get the parts I need to finish (I bought an aftermarket .63ar t3/t4 hybrid Turbonetics turbo kit ) , I'm planning on running 15lbs of boost on stock internals , So I need to get some z32 injectors ,and fuel pump , As well as some cosmetic pieces as well. I've owned this z off and on for like 4-6 years . This being my 3rd time owning it , I decided I'd actually build it. I have tons of experience buying/selling on ebay so , I know how to list products . I was just needing a round about price for this rare motor . Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM

The AE engines were the exact same as the non-ae. So I can't imagine it going for "a lot" more because of it. Maybe if you do find someone looking for a complete restore (such as me, but my engine is solid) then I'd speculate you'd get at least $500 to maybe $800.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM

Not rare

These are not exotic cars and an 84 anniversary really isn't any different than a standard turbo car, just a stripe and badge kit, and all you have is a partial motor with no injectors.
makes no difference that it came out an anniversary, for numbers matching you are talking engine trans and chassis, you have only engine, and a not running partially parted out already.
you can buy a complete ruster turbo for 800 or so that runs

Good luck trying to scam some Z owner
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM

I will buy....... I live in TN!!! and will pick it up.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 PM

But with out all of the other things I'm only in for 350ish....... cash in hand.. can get this weekend... if your local..