280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixin the radio!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Fixin the radio!

Sorry, stock radio. It's not that I don't love you anymore... It's just that, I need more from my audio components. I'll admit, when I first got you hooked up and it turned out you still worked after 30 years, I was shocked. You pulled through all the years of abuse and almost certain abandonment. But now, I think I need a radio that can offer me more, a younger, sexier radio. You'll always be in my heart, and I will always keep you close.

Now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, I have a total of three radio housings to play with, what I need now, is a way to build/create a stable faceplate to stick a single DIN stereo in, I was thinking of getting some aluminum, doubling it up, and cutting the proper sized hole to fit the stereo. I also wanted to secure the radio mounting cage, so that someone can't just get in my car and rip it out (I've noticed the 280zx, with the windows the way they are, is very easy to break into)

I've seen a few really good stereo setups, but no real writeups, only pictures.

I also want to do a rear deck box, or replace the drivers side rear cubby hole behind the strut tower with a sub box or something of that nature, I don't like having subs in hatchbacks, my Rx7 looked ghetto retarded.

Alpine/Polk equipment inbound
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM

Stereo

I did a custom stereo install on my 84, all polk component, and a Blaupunkt head unit. I made a custom sub box that filled in the area next to the hatch on the side, the 300zx is a bit different, but I'm pretty sure I can design a box to fill that space, I'm going to line the interior with a sound deadening material, like dyamat, or hushmat
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I don't want it to be a repeat of what I had in my first Z, I had the radio in the glove box and it just kind of slid around in there. I want to make it so you have to take the entire radio surround out just to get to the radio (theft paranoia)

So that's what I'll work on this week I guess.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM

OM goodness..thinking of all the stuff I did in my 280ZX years ago. I recently gave away my custom job from 24 years ago. I had a Bensi box and a carrying bag for the radio I'd pull out. I put in an equalizer, that was mounted underneath the radio. That stayed put in the car. What headache! The connections would always come loose or the box would not sit firmly in the compartment. Good ridden to those days!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

If you are worried about your radio getting stolen. Invest in an alarm, and keep the faceplate with you. Most people that see that blinking light will more than likely move on to another car without it. After my Neon got stolen back in 2010 every car I drive is armed. Good luck man...
Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
If you are worried about your radio getting stolen. Invest in an alarm, and keep the faceplate with you. Most people that see that blinking light will more than likely move on to another car without it. After my Neon got stolen back in 2010 every car I drive is armed. Good luck man...
Yeah, I was more than likely going to, because when I'm done and finished, the whole interior is going to be redone. It's going to be nice.

Viper any good? Has a ridiculous range for the remotes, and some even have smartphone capability (For like, $100 for 3 years or something)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM

WildmaN..you have got a NICE ride!! in 1988 I had an alarm with a beeper. That is, if the alarm was tripped I had a beeper. The antenna automatically went up and broadcast a signal to me. I went running out MAD of my apt once only to find the window broken by a thrown brick. I think my Z was broken into or attempted 3 times. Bad times back in the Bronx NY in the late 80's.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Yeah, I was more than likely going to, because when I'm done and finished, the whole interior is going to be redone. It's going to be nice.

Viper any good? Has a ridiculous range for the remotes, and some even have smartphone capability (For like, $100 for 3 years or something)
That is what I have is a Viper stage II I think. It has two remotes with one regular with the three buttons. And then another one with a digital screen that alerts you when the car is being tampered with or broken into. The alarm has a certain range that the remote can alert you. Maybe one to two miles. Not quite sure on that. Also there is a blinking blue light that really is noticeable at night.

Also want to note that you can adjust the sensitivity if they don't set it right when you get it installed. It was a black box that had a thing you could turn. Because mine was a little too sensitive, and I didn't feel like going back a second time after having it adjusted once before. I decided to figure it out on own, and it is right in the sweet spot. So it is not going off with a little wind or a leaf falling on it. lol
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Donn144
WildmaN..you have got a NICE ride!! in 1988 I had an alarm with a beeper. That is, if the alarm was tripped I had a beeper. The antenna automatically went up and broadcast a signal to me. I went running out MAD of my apt once only to find the window broken by a thrown brick. I think my Z was broken into or attempted 3 times. Bad times back in the Bronx NY in the late 80's.
Thanks man, appreciate it. I have put along of blood sweat and tears into it. And I drive it daily, and it is quite dependable. Really sorry to hear about your Z being wrecked, and somebody breaking your window in your other one. When you are ready to get another 280zx, there is a lot of information and people on here that will help you out. Good luck man...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Biggest deterent is the red flashing light. Better yet get a blue one 'cause that's what all the cool cars have...

Take your stock radio face plate and hack it up to fit over top of your new stereo system once you have it mounted, etc. Use magnets from an old hard drive to get it to attach. Glue the ***** to the front of the bezel, etc to make it look legit. No one will want to steel your old crappy "stock" stereo even though your new one is hiding behind the old faceplate
Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 PM

WildmaN, this Z is pure maximum sex.
Attached Thumbnails Fixin the radio!-026-3.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM

Wild man! My 280Zx was my only 280.I currently have 2 300Zx Z31 and my 88 was totaled..
I got to post some pix of how I got it moded before the dump truck sent it to Z heaven,
They are ion my phone. You'll freak! Give me a few minutes. promise you will not be disappointed!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Here she is\was

Fixin the radio!-dsc00407.jpg
Fixin the radio!-dsc00408.jpg
Fixin the radio!-dsc00409.jpg
Fixin the radio!-dsc00412.jpg
Fixin the radio!-dsc00413.jpg
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 PM

Installed mine where my heater controls once were. Shifted the fan **** to over the stock vents that were next to it with a simple deletion and a plate. Aso installed my alarm LED anda 12v plug in the plate. Left some room for switches if needed. Removed the radio housing thing under the dash in preparation for a Mojave Heater but haven't gotten around to spending the dough on one.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:47 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Verry nice man. That is a clean Z.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
WildmaN, this Z is pure maximum sex.
Thanks you are too kind. I still have a ways to go with it. And rebuilding an '83 off and on.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 AM

Wildman:

Was a clean Z..Taken out by a dump truck. But, as all good Z cars, it protected me and I did not get a scratch! A number of amazing stories with that car. I have read numerous accounts of Z's protecting their owners from harm..like a faithful dog protecting its owner. I had always felt a personal connection with the car and would pat her down and say "The Z protects!" She did till the end!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Donn144
Wildman:

Was a clean Z..Taken out by a dump truck. But, as all good Z cars, it protected me and I did not get a scratch! A number of amazing stories with that car. I have read numerous accounts of Z's protecting their owners from harm..like a faithful dog protecting its owner. I had always felt a personal connection with the car and would pat her down and say "The Z protects!" She did till the end!
What body kit was on the Z31?