240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Given a 1971 240Z to restore...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Given a 1971 240Z to restore...

Hey all,
I'll start my story off with some background. I am an auto mechanic by trade, fresh out of tech school and working for Firestone. My Grandfather bought a 1971 240Z new in 1972, and drove it for a few years before parking it in an open car port for the better part of 20 years. He then moved it to an enclosed storage facility, but not after the elements had done their work on the car. He decided to task me with restoring it as a side project when he found out I was looking at purchasing one, and plans to give it to me when I'm done.
After the ordeal of towing to my place, I began to inspect it as thoroughly as I could, knowing that these cars accumulate rust like hookers accumulate STD's. The car is a series 1 240z, with just over 56k original miles. The engine is in pristine condition, and aside from some cracked vacuum hoses, and SU's in need of rebuilding due to sitting so long, the engine appears pristine. According to my Grandfather, it started right up about 10 years ago with no issues. I plan to start it up but haven't purchased a battery yet, and the ignition cylinder is frozen and beyond repair according to a locksmith (so a new one is in order). Interior is beautiful, besides all the carpet and insulation that I tore out, and I have a mint condition 240z dash with no cracks waiting to replace the original. On to the bad though.
I am hoping to get your all's opinions regarding the feasibility of fixing this cars body. I am not on a budget, as my Grandfather, who is rather well off is willing to fund the restoration, within reason. No $15,000 restorations here. The only stipulation is that I perform the majority of the work. And before you condemn it, keep in mind I am on the East Coast, I want a 240Z (Not 260 or 280), and this car does have some sentimental value to both my Grandfather and I. I am not afraid to learn and stumble my way through welding the body back together and learning all the ins and outs of this car. I just need solid advise as to whether it is do-able and reasonable.

First we have rocker rust...I've seen worse and I figure this will be the least of my concerns. It's covered by a lot of bondo but looks to be just the outer rocker.
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-183.jpg

Next we have nasty nasty front rail and core support rust. Forming the patch seems simple enough (in my inexperienced but ambitious head), but it does go back past the swaybar mount, maybe 5 inches or so and really needs to be patched (or replaced) on all three sides. The only metal not rotting is the upper portion
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-176.jpg
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-166.jpg
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-160.jpg

My next main concern it where the a pillar meets the frame. I have an old timer body man that i know that swears he could fabricate what would be needed to replace this properly, but I am warry. I havent gotten the fenders off yet to see the extent, but the roof is like this on both sides. Just purely rusted through the a pillars to the frame. Is this even fixable!?!

Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-154.jpg
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-171.jpg

I also have a corner rotted out on my hood. If it is simple enough to fix i would like to, as it isn't easy finding a hood in my part of the country.

Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-158.jpg

I also have some roof rust that I am hoping can be fixed with patching once the headliner is removed. Or is that I bad idea. There are more spots on the roof than I took pictures of, and they are all near the edge, but dont seem to be too widespread.

Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-155.jpg
Given a 1971 240Z to restore...-10-3-2013-import-167.jpg

Anyways, if there is hope, any encouragement would be awesome. But if you believe it is hopeless, just be frank. It is a dream of mine to own an early series 1 240z. And this being my grandfather's (who is a former racecar driver, and current porsche instructor, and a little idol of mine), i really want to be able to share this with him, and let him enjoy it a little more before he is too old. So it's hard for me to just give up. Especially when money is not an issue (well as long as it doesnt turn into a money pit). Only experience, which will be gained through good 'ol elbow grease.

Thanks to anyone to takes the time to read this and help me.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM

So $15,000 is your max?

I just quickly browsed through a few items on zcarparts.com and it looks like if you start buying repair panels from there, you'll quickly pass $15,000... You might want to consider looking for a second car for body parts. You will probably end up paying a lot less money for it and still get a lot of stuff you will need.

I think that car needs to be dismantled. You'll want to identify every hidden problem area.

Anyways, I know nothing about body work so I'll let someone else weigh in, but I highly advise you to get input from a forum that's geared towards body work type stuff.

Oh, and if you look for a second car for parts, you may want to expand your search to dry climate areas; west Texas, Arizona, etc.

Yea, if I had my way, I would completely strip it down and sand blast everything.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 AM

240z

It is going to be a lot of work but stripping it down and sand blasting everything is a must. You should have one of the best years of the 240Z as far as carbs go. The bumpers on the 70-72s also sit closer to the body (I have a 73 and switching over to the 70-72 bumper mounts) Getting a doner car for the parts is a better idea if you don't want to spend all the money. The rockers, roof and underneath are repairable with some work. Make sure you get a reputable welder to do the work in those areas or you will see it in the finish. I would find another hood, fenders and any other parts that can be taken off and replaced easily. If you want all of the metal to be just this car then you are well over the $15000 for a finished car.

I know you said you wanted to restore it but I would suggest that if you plan on driving it a lot then switch out the 4 speed to a 5 speed. It won't change anything on the car, just make it more drivable.

I have some fenders and maybe a hood (I think they are off of a 71 240Z) but I am in Utah. Good luck with the build.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 AM

I don't condemn it. I think it's frickin awesome. I think any process where we learn anything is worth something. If it brings you closer to your grandfather and gives either of you the smallest bit of joy without costing anyone any pain (spending mortgage $$ on parts) then I think it is fricking awesome. I am also a big fan of NOT sending cars to the crusher. ESPECIALLY z's.

BUT I would maybe gently approach the idea with grandad of finding a z with less rust to drop all the awesome stuff into. That is A LOT of rust. It can definitely be fixed but I think most body guys in this day and age don't wanna do that kind of work. Most of them are working on peoples cars that have to go back on lease and need a few dents fixed and some quick easy 2 stage paint before the lease man rapes them again. We live in a disposable society and that's just part of the effects. I went through HELL trying to get someone to weld the floor pans in in my Z and that was 1999 or 2000 in the north east and I knew EVERY mechanic and body shop. It's gotta be harder by now. And what makes it worth if it was a 68 camaro or a 67 Mustang or whatever they'd be more likely to work on it I think.

Frame rails and that pillar is structural. The 71's were kinda lean on safety to begin with. If they're not fixed properly and you crash it's gonna be ugly. Make sure whoever does it understands structural systems. Its all well and good to do things on your own, but sometimes people think they're exceeding safety standards or improving strength and they make it worse. For example, an improperly installed roll cage can be more dangerous than no roll cage. Have someone who's done structural stuff help you if you do completely re fabricate this z's body. And while I don't like seeing Z's go to the crusher I don't like seeing young mechanics with an appreciation for Z's go the the hospital either. Cars structural and safety systems are important. It wouldnt take much to make a stock 71 more safe. Theyre pretty dangerous in crashes. But with all that rust its a real issue.
As far as hoods go if yours is that bad and you want a hood from a 78 (vent holes) with light rust I will give you one when you're ready for it. Free. It's in NY at my moms house. She'll be glad to see it go.
Finally (I've had my coffee this morning) post some GOOD pics. All I see is rust, but I read about a pristine interior and engine.. Lets see the good stuff!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM

That's pretty rough car, do they make repro patch panels, rockers/quarters, etc.?