240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Any upholstery kit on any seat frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Any upholstery kit on any seat frame?

I'm restoring my early 74 and will be reupholstering the seats. I would like to redo them with new foam inserts and new vinyl.

In shopping around, it looks like the foams are universal from 70 to 78, so I would "assume" that the vinyls are interchangeable.

The issue is that I want to use the early style vinyls because I can get them in red, while this color is not available for the later years.

Can anyone confirm that the vinyls are in fact interchangeable. In searching, I found one post where somebody said that they think they are, but no confirmation.

Car was originally Silver with Black interior, and I want to change the interior to Red. The seat stitching and button differences don't make a difference to me.

Last edited by Lazlo; 03-22-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM

A few more questions:

Any recommendations as to whether the MSA or VB/Black Dragon vinyl is better?

Does anyone else sell it?

Or is this one of those instances where one supplier sells to everybody and it is strictly a price issue?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM
I have a present for you...

Zcarsource sells them and an entire interior kit, even door skins.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM

For the most they are all compatible but you would probably be doing better to get the foam and cover kit from the same place. I bought a set of synthetic leather seat covers on Ebay and new set foam from Classic Datsun. The covers fit very tight and I fear that after a year or two of use they may start to rip. Looking back on it I wish I would have just bought the matching seat covers from Classic Datsun as many owners have reported great results with them. Below is a link to my DIY article I wrote. Might help you out in deciding.

DIY: How to Recover Your Z Seats - LOTS OF PICTURES
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
I have a present for you...

I think the synthetic leather is pvc. Ask the seller. I had a set of seats recovered for $400 with a real plush heavy vinyl. You can get real leather covers for $536 or $239 for the vinyl. They also carry the foam and strapping.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hardway
For the most they are all compatible but you would probably be doing better to get the foam and cover kit from the same place. I bought a set of synthetic leather seat covers on Ebay and new set foam from Classic Datsun. The covers fit very tight and I fear that after a year or two of use they may start to rip. Looking back on it I wish I would have just bought the matching seat covers from Classic Datsun as many owners have reported great results with them. Below is a link to my DIY article I wrote. Might help you out in deciding.

DIY: How to Recover Your Z Seats - LOTS OF PICTURES
Great write up! And thanks for the tip on same-sourcing the components.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by theramz
Zcarsource sells them and an entire interior kit, even door skins.
Thanks for the tip. I am guessing that you have bought from them? I have read several threads where people complained about the quality of different interior kits and ended up buying vinyl in bulk.