Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Homemade Catch Can

Old 12-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Homemade Catch Can

For those who don't visit My350z.com or 350z-tech.com, I did a little write up...

I've been running this type of catch can on all of my cars for many years. All parts are available at Home Depot or Lowes (except the hose, which is available at any car parts store).

List of parts:

1)Husky air compressor water filter, part #HDA70400AV (Home Depot) or
Campbell Hausfeld air compressor water filter, part #IFA10600AV (Loews)

2) Two (2) A-293 3/8" to 1/4" MIP brass barbs. The bag should be white and yellow. (Both Home Depot and Loews sell Watts brand)

3) Teflon tape

4) About two (2) feet of 3/8" fuel hose

5) Two (2) 1/4" to 5/8" worm gear type hose clamps.

Instructions:

First thing you need to do is take apart the water filter and discard the white element inside (there may also be a plastic piece that looks like a gear. Discard it as well). Then reassemble the container.

Next, wrap some teflon tape around the threads of the barbs. It's important to wrap the tape in the proper direction so that it doesn't come off the threads when you screw the barbs in to the container.

Screw the barbs in to the container. Brass fittings are tapered on the treaded end, so don't overtighten them. You want them pretty tight, but if you go too far, you'll break the container.

Now figure out a good place to mount your catch can. I mounted mine to my APS strut bar.

Once you've figured out where to mount the can, cut your hose accordingly.

Attach the hose to the catch can using the worm gear clamps.

Now, remove the factory PCV hose from the passenger's side (US. Driver's side in AUS) valvecover and the front of the intake manifold. Discard the hose, but keep the clamps.

Now attach the catch can to the PCV valve and the intake manifold using the factory hose clamps.
IMPORTANT: Be sure the arrow on top of the catch can is pointing towards the intake manifold. This arrow indicates the direction of airflow.

That's it. You're done. Be sure to check the oil level in your catch can once a week until you know how long it takes to fill up.