ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Vegas 350Z Club (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/vegas-350z-club-253/)
-   -   Brake help (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/vegas-350z-club-253/brake-help-20961/)

Smittyz33 11-29-2006 03:48 AM

Brake help

Maybe something for the next tech session, but i'll ask the question.

My Wilwood kit is screaching...loud doesn't even begin to describe the noise. I tried different pads, that didn't work.
I tried shims and the system was so compacted the brakes were continuously engaged.
Nissan installed the kit and reevaluated it after the screaching started and they said it was the pads. I've tried two different compounds.
Most recently, I had my buddy remove the rotors and have them turned (they were slightly warped anyway) and ground.
With each step, I ensured I followed Wilwoods break in procedure.

Anyone have time to stop buy and try and diagnose before I have someone rip them off and toss them in a pulverizer?

SinCity350Z 11-29-2006 06:16 AM

The only thing I can think of is the pad compound. Track pads and things of that nature squeal like a pig when cold.

Yogi 11-29-2006 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Smittyz33
My Wilwood kit is screaching...loud doesn't even begin to describe the noise.

A school bus w/ bad brakes?

If that's your sound then Mikey hit the nail on the head. You'll have to try to find a street compound that fits and put a little antisqueal on the back of the pads.

Another option is to heat up the brakes enough until they don't make noise.

SinCity350Z 11-29-2006 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yogi

Ooooohhh, thats the worst noise on earth.

Nforce1 11-29-2006 09:03 AM

Funny, just as I read that line... a school bus with bad brakes was outside my window stopping. llol

i8acobra 11-29-2006 09:07 AM

put a little antisqueal on the back of the pads.

That's not a good idea with Wilwoods. The pistons don't have a dust seal, so the anti-squeal could get between the piston and the caliper.

The squealing is caused by the brake pad compound. The noise is caused by the pads gripping and releasing at a high frequency. Usually this means your pads aren't getting hot enough. Try a more street oriented compund. Most brake manufacturers make pads for Wilwood calipers. They don't have to be Wilwood pads. Try some EBC Greenstuff's or Hawk HPS's for the street.

SinCity350Z 11-29-2006 09:57 AM

Even the Hawk HPS squeal a little. I have them in the G.

Love2ridepow 11-29-2006 10:59 AM

My HPS have been squeeling since day 1, hell, even my OEM pads did, but not "school bus" style.

roneski 11-29-2006 12:32 PM

I've never had a problem with my HPS.

Smittyz33 11-29-2006 04:02 PM

Its so loud that its undriveable...i'll order some other pads. The ones i've tried are WW BP10 and BP20 compounds.