ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Upstate Z Club (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/upstate-z-club-251/)
-   -   Elec Trickel Pro Blems (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/upstate-z-club-251/elec-trickel-pro-blems-29102/)

rb250zx 08-02-2009 08:29 AM

Elec Trickel Pro Blems

Ok so heres the latest! I had an altornator that wasn't putting out more than 11v, I got a Used Altornator from england that is installed and it is putting out 16.9v and the battery is holding 12v no problem. The car starts and runs fine, a bit of a ruff idle but nothing major its been sitting almost a month now, Ok with all that said.

The problem is the when its running my Volt gage reads only 11v and the little red light in it is on, my FUEL, DOOR and BREAK lights in the dash will not turn off when the car is started, and when driving if I punch the gas the Car almost stops firing.

So does a 1982 280zx have a external Voltage regulator that Im just not seeing, Also for those of your who enjoy trouble shooting Keep in mind I have a RB25DET Swap.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rb250zx 08-02-2009 12:41 PM

Latest findings

ok So this is the latest findings.

I pulled the 3rd from the bottom on the far left colum of fuses, I dont know what this fuse does exactly I dont have the pannel for it Heh. but it turned off the fuel and door light, and the break light now goes off when the hand break is lowered, How ever I still am having a voltage problem At the battery when the car is runing it should read the same Voltage as the altornator and Im only getting batty voltage.

The main power post is reading 17v at the alt. the wire that attaches to this post runs up to the ACC fusable link located by the batt. on the fender wall, I think this is were my problem is... If this wire is Directly ran from a 17v post to this ACC fusable link, Why at the Link does it only read 12v this link then travels to the Fuse box on the inside of the car, to supply power to the ACC harness. There As well only 12v, soo im asuming that some were along this wire I have some resistance.

as far as my car not accelerating corectly, im assuming when I punch it the engine is drawing more power than it is getting with this voltage problem because if I just steadly step on the gas its will go fine, only when I punch it does it Bog out.

If anyone has a 1982 280zx NA fuse box layout It would really help.

rb250zx 08-03-2009 02:05 PM

got it

Ok so me and my multi-meter now have extreemly swore backs but I got he problem fixed.

The problem started with the Positive wire from the Altornator, the Ring clamp that was put toegether in 1982 was coming apart under its plastic coating causing some arch and resistance... After reparing that I then had Atornator voltage at my battery, the car then Ran great taking any power I through at it all boost eveything was fine, Then I came back poped the hood and was looking at my Wiring harness that was still wide open from me rapairing this wire. Well the wire that comes out of the Fuseable ling box witch then goes down to the fuse box on th einside of the car, The ACC Power wire was smoking at its conection, so I pulled that out and to my suprise noticed the it was about 1000000000 degrees Heh!! When I cut open the wire It was nice and rotted al the way till about 5 inches from the fuse box, So now Im on the hunt for a 6mm high temp wire. In germany this is something of a rare Item how ever, Ive been to 2 auto stores and nothing so hopfully BOSCH can help me tomorrow.

Well after this is solved my beast will be back on the road.