ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Polls (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/polls-250/)
-   -   syncros going out what to do? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/polls-250/syncros-going-out-what-do-27386/)

rtmorgan 12-12-2008 07:47 PM

syncros going out what to do?

ok my syncros are going out in 2nd and 4th what do i do?

KasbeKZ 12-12-2008 09:40 PM

i'm not even going to vote, cause it really depends on how much money you have. a used tranny would be the cheapest solution, rebuilding yours the second, and a turbo swap would jump from about $400 to $10,000.....

Zetto 12-12-2008 11:20 PM

ha! if you can afford it then i say go twin turbo!

rtmorgan 12-13-2008 07:09 AM

yeah i know kas.
i have lots of tuition reinbursment coming this sping:icon_super: :biggrin:

91zxtt 12-13-2008 11:14 AM

When you say the synchros are going out, Im guessing that is based on the fact that you're starting to hear some minor grinding noise when you shift into 2nd and 4th? If so, then there's nothing wrong with your tranny. It happens in nearly 100% of Z32s. It is normal wear and will likely go for another 100k + miles. The HKS 6 speed is ridiculously expensive and has actually been proven to make your Z slower, so that's a lame option. Pulling another tranny from a junk yard will likely have the same synchro issues....also a lame option. I've never seen anyone decide to do a swap because the tranny starting making this common synchro noise....another lame option.

My vote is for do nothing and enjoy your car the way it is. Maybe look into changing your tranny fluid. I opt for Redline.

snwbrderphat540 12-13-2008 11:20 AM

change the tranny fluid with redline and or BG synchroshift you can mix them 50/50. it will probably fix it for a while with any fluid change no matter what you use but those two will probably work best. so i guess i second what 91zxtt said.

rtmorgan 12-13-2008 01:58 PM

well in that case ill just change the fluid for now
i still want to do the swap though
and yeah yeah i know its cheaper to buy a tt but mine is a slicktop and they never came tt and i want a tt slicky

KasbeKZ 12-13-2008 08:07 PM

yeah that's a good deal there. keeping that tranny sounds fun! mine has had a tiny click in second, third and forth since i got it, but i shift very slow and softly 90% of the time, and it hasn't gotten any worse. it's really not noticeable if i shift slow enough.

Zetto 12-13-2008 11:19 PM

hell, cant you just get a JDM 6-speed? idk too much bout the Z32s so...just wondering.

snwbrderphat540 12-14-2008 12:24 PM

you guys should also re-bleed the whole system and see if you can adjust the clutch pedal as well it might not be pushing the throw out bearing 100% usually only second goes in these trannies mine did and never had a problem with any other gear... or was its 3rd? i dont remember now haha but one gear is prone to getting the grind. also, never heard of a JDM having a 6speed, i've heard of people using the 350Z 6 speed but honestly the Z32 tranny is a GREAT tranny geared very well and very strong if anything you can get the later JDM 5-speed that i think had revised synchros and are much much better

rtmorgan 12-14-2008 01:55 PM

yeah my plans on my next day off is to change the oil in the tranny and change the fluid in the clutch bleed adjust etc. and check all my electric steering components

Zetto 12-14-2008 04:59 PM

hm, weird. i thought all Z32s in japan were 6-speeds...my bad

KasbeKZ 12-14-2008 07:10 PM

it seems that i'm the only one that realizes this, no offense snw, but in most trannies with any miles on them, you can hear the front shaft turning when you let the clutch out. all i do to see if the clutch is always engaging all the way is put the clutch in at idle in neutral and see if the sound stops. so i'm always sure that the front shaft is free spinning while the clutch is in.

snwbrderphat540 12-14-2008 07:57 PM

thats not always 100% accurate clutches wear down and the pedal gets more play in it, all i am doing is giving some advise to help for a while in a cost effective way until he decides on what he wants or needs to do

KasbeKZ 12-14-2008 08:10 PM

oh yeah they wear. i know i'm just giving another piece of potentially cost effective advise. it's better to check for clutch functioning that way then to buy fluid and a cylinder then find out that it was working in the first place.

snwbrderphat540 12-15-2008 11:12 AM

i never ever said replace the cylinder retard. now i know why you failed college lol. jk im on a ton of drugs from the hospital... but all i said was ADJUST THE CLUTCH and bleed the system. i never said replace crap. where did you get that from?

KasbeKZ 12-15-2008 06:12 PM

well, that would be the remedy if the clutch wasn't fully dis engaging like your post implied that it might be. i'm just saying, that all the advise in your post can be found unhelpful in this situation by doing the quick test that i stated. i'm not saying you're wrong at all. no argument to be had. it's all good.

snwbrderphat540 12-15-2008 08:41 PM

you still are making no sense and im long off sedation.... so your saying, instead of trying out something that will more than likely be beneficial, just push the clutch in, if it isnt making noise any more than screw it and dont bother bleeding the system or adjusting the pedal/clutch? cause thats what it seems like. and seems like pretty terrible advise, not like im saying, oh dude go replace your MC or slave or something that actually costs money to do..... sometimes you confuse me

KasbeKZ 12-16-2008 07:23 PM

yes, that's what i'm saying. if it stops making niose, the clutch is fully dis engaged, and the entire clutch system is completely unrelated to the shifting problem.

snwbrderphat540 12-16-2008 08:42 PM

yeah you would think that. but normally if you have a good pilot bearing and tranny you might not hear the noise anyways its not that great of a method is what im saying so just bleed and adjust.... its free and a good precaution so shut up kid! ;) and on the other side if the throw out bearing is old it might make noise anyways when the pedal is pushed

KasbeKZ 12-16-2008 08:59 PM

all that says is that there are some problems that might make this method not work. if the front shaft is quiet and the throw out bearing is bad. it's always worked for me. all cars. even front wheel drive ones. if the noise didn't go away, i had to bleed the clutch.

snwbrderphat540 12-16-2008 09:16 PM

im going to beat your ass.....

KasbeKZ 12-16-2008 10:01 PM

bring it phat arse! ahhhh hahahaha! that was a good one!

91zxtt 12-24-2008 07:10 PM

All joking aside....both of you should be banned. Are you two really this retarded?

KasbeKZ 12-24-2008 07:19 PM

was that really "all joking aside"? what was wrong with my argument there? i assure you that i can support it.