ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/)
-   -   ZX electronic dizzy (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/zx-electronic-dizzy-5585/)

Spudz 05-08-2003 11:16 PM

ZX electronic dizzy

Hey All,
I am still running points type ignition on my car and would like to install and Electronic dizzy. Eventually I want to go to a stand alone ECU , so I want to keep the cost down on this dizzy. What are your thoughts on the zx dizzy swap ?
The car will normally be shifted below 6500 RPM.

Thanks !

preith 05-12-2003 01:49 PM

Maybe you can clear up this for myself and others, what the heck is a dizzy, and what is involved with the swap?

Spudz 05-12-2003 02:04 PM

Hey Preith,
a Dizzy is slang for distributor. For what I understand Nissan made two types of electronic distributors for the L6 one has a ignitor atttached to the side of the housing . This came on the ZX and the other has a module that mounts to the firewall. This might not be fact , but just what I understand were the differences.
I want to swap in the ZX type distributer this would eliminate my points.

tholt29 05-12-2003 04:05 PM

Either ditributor is a direct fit as I recall. I ran a ZX distributor for years before the mechanical advance turned to crap at which point I switched over to the Mallory Unilite I'm running now. Some people prefer the remote control module from the 280Z saying it is less sensitive to vibration, but I never had a problem with the ZX module. Either choice is a nice improvement over the points.

Tom

tholt29 05-12-2003 04:08 PM

One other thing... I did have to modify the adjustment bracket, at the base of the distributor, to get the orientation right.

Tom

Spudz 05-12-2003 05:08 PM

Tom,
You are second person to mention that the ZX bushings wear out and its start to miss above 6,000 rpm. The other guy said he switched to a unilite as well.

Thanks,
Mike

tholt29 05-12-2003 08:30 PM

My problem wasn't with the bushings, it was actually the vacuum advance plates. I wasn't using the vacuum advance, but the sanwiched plates and ball bearings shifted and seized causing the mechanical advance to go bad... Or something like that. That was a couple of years ago and I didn't spend much time trying to fix it, so I may have my facts off... Bottom line, a ZX distributor that was 15 years when I got it, went bad after 5 years of my abuse... I can't say that is bad! :)
Tom

preith 05-13-2003 06:51 AM

Hearing it called a dizzy is a first for me. Anyway I had similar problems with the stock one on my '77, it would cut out after about 5500. I took it apart and inspected it and found the same thing...the plastic sleve that held the ball bearings in was damadged and the advance didn't work. I beleive this was 20+ years old as well. Just got a replacement from Victoria British. I would think having an external module would be a little better, Less vibration and heat.

GTZilla 05-13-2003 10:57 AM

You might want to go ahead and get the Electromotive crank fire if you are going to an after market ECU. Most all the aftermarket ECU,s need a crank fire or at least a crank positioning sensor. I think SDI uses the stock dizzy, but not 100% sure. Yes the crank fire costs more. BTW all the FI z dizzys should work just fine. That is 75-83. I've never heard of one of the modules going bad. Even if they do the wrecking yards are filled with them.

Randy