ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/)
-   -   Fiberglass parts for FP Z's (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/fiberglass-parts-fp-zs-4434/)

BrittB 11-29-2002 11:20 PM

Fiberglass parts for FP Z's

I was out in the shop a couple of minutes ago and I was looking at maybe trying make fiberglass copies of my fenders with the headlight buckets and headlight covers all molded as one peice and maybe I could add the fender flare to boot. It would make a nice, lightweight little package. It wouldn't be a hard thing for me to do as I work with fiberglass all the time and I've made many molds for other things in the past. I might just make the rear flares too as well as a hood. If I have to add weight back to the car, at least I can choose where it will go. Do you think it, would be worth my time?

Britt

tholt29 11-30-2002 06:44 AM

Re: Fiberglass parts for FP Z's

Britt,
Assuming you are planning to run the L28 motor you will definitely need to add weight to make the 2100 lb min. So, as you say you might as well add it back where you want it. My car has a fiberglass hood, but all other panels are steel. I did replace all of the windows with Lexan, and I have about 75 lbs of lead in the car plus about the largest standard sized car battery around. All of that weight had to go behind the rear axle to get the corner weights right The result is a 47%f/53%r weight balance. A little less steel on the car might help to move some of the weight forward.
On the downside... those cones can be pretty hard sometimes, so be prepared to do some occasional repair work on those fenders. Maybe you can reinforce the lower areas to make them stronger...

Tom
FP29

BrittB 11-30-2002 08:51 AM

The fenders would be made with E-glass but I could add a laminate of carbon fiber/ graphite in between one of the layers which would stiffen it up quite a bit. If your having to add weight already though, I wondering if it's necessary to do the fenders. I would still like to do the hood and maybe the rear hatch too. Lexan for the windows has always been on the "must do" list.

How much heavier is the L28 over the L26 if they are prepared the same? I running a 260Z which I think has a 2000# min. weight.

Britt

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by BrittB on 11/30/02 08:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spudz 11-30-2002 09:01 AM

Hi Britt,
I have a name and email address for a guy who makes carbon fiber Z hoods. I need to contact him and see what if he is making hatches as well. I also know that Doug Piner is trying to replicate the VR Engineering kit he has on the front of his car. He is running a E Production road race car . Here is the link http://www.piner.com/scca/scca.htm . He told me they should be ready around the first of the year. I am not sure if the air dam is the way to go as they tend to pick up cones [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] . From what Tom tells me and what Dr. Sideways says also the car can get under the 2100 pound minimum with steel. Dr. Sideways I think is using carbon fiber hood and hatch and glass doors , but then he can add balast where he needs it. Alan should be able to clear that up a bit.

Mike

tholt29 11-30-2002 06:36 PM

Hoods, fenders and hatches can be made of alternate materialsl, but doors can only be lightened and must remain steel. My car (a late 74) weighs just over 2100 with a only a glass hood and lexan windows as well the cage and 75 lbs of lead. My previous 73 needed 150 lbs of lead with the exact same configuration. So, depending on the year of your body and which engine you plan to run, that will determine how much work is needed to make weight. If you were planning to try and build an early 240 and run the L24 it would probably take a good bit of work to make it down to 1900 lbs. I've never seen a seriously built L26, but if you did that it's not too tough to get to 2000 with an earlier body.

Tom
FP29

Spudz 11-30-2002 06:52 PM

Tom,
My friend Allen brought up the L26 and the 2000 pound scenario the other day. I believe the L26 had the
crank and rods of the L28 and the bore of the L24 it would be interesting to see what power could be had by one.

It seems that the 1900 pounds is a tough number to hit and still be able to move weight around.

BTW are your running a lexan windshield as well ? Awhile back I saw a post from someone who was making
already formed Z lightweight windshields.

Mike

tholt29 12-01-2002 06:43 AM

yep, my windshield is lexan also. It's only 1/8" thick, but I have never had any problems with it even with no support braces. I've heard that road racing requires it be thicker (something like 3/16") which would be smart if you are planning to hit triple digits.
You don't need a preformed one, since lexan is very flexible and the windshield does not wrap around that much. I mounted mine using the stock gasket. That makes cutting out the shape pretty critical, but since my original car came with a lexan windshield I just use it as a template and could make a paper template if anybody wants one...
One MAJOR thing to avoid is letting the cat sleep on the roof of your car... That will put more scratches on the plastic in 6 months than 10 years of racing. Don't ask me how I know, but I now use a vinyl cover over my windshield when not in use. (Highly recommended)

Spudz 03-20-2003 07:55 PM

Hey Guys ,
I am upping this post as well.

An update on the glass work .

I spoke with Doug Piner the other day and his fiberglass stuff isn't done yet.

I also see that Reaction Research is making the VR stuff again.

Also there is a thread going in the 240
for sale forum about carbon fiber hoods.
I checked with Hiten Patel about two weeks ago on hiis carbon fiber hoods and
hatches, but he hasn't gotten back to me.

Mike