ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/)
-   -   F Prepared tripple carb sizes (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/f-prepared-tripple-carb-sizes-4426/)

Spudz 11-29-2002 08:28 AM

F Prepared tripple carb sizes

Hi Guys,
Here is another question for you. If I remember right the rule book limits you to three 45mm carbs, or injection with weight penalities. I have noticed that Tom and Alan are using the 44
Mikuni's. Advantages and dissadvantages of using 40's Mikuni's or 40 and or Weber 45's . It appears with a well prepped L28 the 44's aren't to large. What is your carb set up ? I realize altitude and othe factors effect the set up , but what is a good starting point for the 44 Mikuni's ?

Mike

tholt29 12-01-2002 06:49 AM

Re: F Prepared triple carb sizes

Crap... another perfectly good FP car sucked over to the dark side of road racing... ;) If you ever feel crazy you ought to try and make it to Nationals at least once. It's a real blast to find that level of competitiion.

Someday we'll meet!

Tom
FP29

Spudz 12-01-2002 08:23 PM

Tom,
I emailed Brian to join us in here , and I think a guy in San Francisco
area has a competitive F Prepared Z. I will try and track him down.

Mike

nocones 12-01-2002 10:10 PM

Hi Mike, Alan, Tom, everyone. Not sure who you are refering to in the SF bay area but I run an 1970 FP 240Z (not sure about the competitive part) based in Santa Rosa, but competing in San Francisco Region and Sacramento Region. Alan, I had some limited email contact with you last year regarding suspension choices. Tom I've followed your site for a few years.
I have done substantial work to the car over the last few years while in school, but now that I am working full time again I can continue developing the car and especially the driver.
The only other FP Z drivers around here is Steve Parmlay (Sacramento region) and my uncle, Steve Mannion (also Sac. region). I only got the car out one weekend this year for a shakedown and was encouraged to be only a few tenths off Chris Cox times in his very fast M3. I have high hopes for the project and intend to go to the Nationals in the next few years.
Glad to have the Z autoXers coming together!

Michael Mannion

Spudz 12-01-2002 10:27 PM

Michael,
I am not sure who the person was. I just remember reviewing the results from some where in
California and saw a Z. There is also a guy in the Central Coast of California with a pretty stock
looking Prepared Z. I also would like to get a hold of Dennis Thoney . I think he is up in Mckinnleyville.
He ran the Open Track Challenge last year with his 240. I also think that I emailed a guy in LA that runs
an old GT2 converted 240. If you guys know of any others let them know we are here.

Mike

nocones 12-02-2002 06:48 AM

Oh yeah, there is also an FP Z running out of Fresno, Steve and Ian are the drivers (don't recall the last names).
As for the original question in the thread...
I also run the 44 Mikunis, mainly because they are what I have and they work.

Michael

tholt29 12-02-2002 08:33 AM

Steve Parmley... that's the guy! He sent me some video of my old black car when it was owned by Andy Craig... I still need to capture put that up on my website...
I also contacted a few other guys to try and get them on board here... We'll see if they show up.

Tom
FP29

Spudz 12-02-2002 08:53 AM

Tom,
I think I will post on the team.net mailing list today about the board , and try and locate
Steve Parmley's an a few others email addresses.

Thanks guys for participating in the board. I think this thing is going to take off this Winter.

Mike

Spudz 12-02-2002 10:15 AM

Michael,
I found two guys on the Fresno web site that look like they are sharing a car.
The guys name is Steve Carlson , and the other one is Ian Lewis. We also have
a guy over in Missoula , Montana that is running one. I will try and get his email address
as well.

nocones 12-02-2002 05:49 PM

Yep those are the guys. I met Steve and Ian last spring, nice guys. This is a very cool thing getting some of the FP Z guys together online.

Michael

Spudz 12-03-2002 10:46 PM

Michael,
You think you can get an emaill address for them ? I would like to invite them to join us in here.

Thanks,
Mike

ZLishous 12-04-2002 09:24 AM

Michael Mannion, Hey how are you? My name is Paul and i am just getting staarted in prepairing a car for Autox. Now bear in mind i am not greatly inclined in the mechanical world, but, i am learning on the fly. I am also in Santa Rosa and would love to help and be helped to increase my learning curve greatly! Please e-mail me at Fuzzyyellowball@msn.com if have time to b.s sometime. Would love to pick your brain, need someone who has "been" where i am. Whatever happened to the AutoX in this area (Santa Rosa), I thought there was one in Petaluma but iheard it got banned or something. Anyway, i have blabbed long enough, look forward to hearing from you, good luck to all!
Thanks, Paul
p.s. got my first taste of AutoX a couple weeks ago at a NASA event at Sears Point, they had a Cobra event there and had a AutoX track set up down by turn 7-what a blast! Got one of the better times of the day! See ya round.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by spudz on 12/04/02 09:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

21691-MVC-013S.JPG

zlalomz 12-06-2002 12:37 PM

Hello, Alan Giles alerted me to this thread. I am currently working on converting my autocross car to open track. Since this is a slow and painful process, I put the motor ,suspension, and slicks on my former street Z to autocross when I can. I put some pics up in the ride section under '73 zlalomz. I will add some motor pics soon. Steve Parmley

zlalomz

Spudz 12-06-2002 01:33 PM

Steve,
Very nice looking project. What fiberglass is that you are using ? Are you planning on running at Thunderhill ?

Mike

zlalomz 12-06-2002 02:23 PM

Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow are the tracks I will drive with my brother. The fenders are NLA but could come back in production. If you go to www.hybridz.org and look in the Body Kit forum there are some threads and pictures of this kit. Here is a picture of this kit done right. Steve

http://zdatsun.com/Image35.jpg

zlalomz<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Spudz on 12/06/02 02:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

21799-280 YZ leads nother pack.jpg

zlalomz 12-06-2002 02:26 PM

Oops. Sorry for my poor computer skills. I will add a pic in my 'rides' section

zlalomz

Spudz 12-06-2002 02:29 PM

The attachement worked fine for me !! I have seen that picture before . It looks like a VR Engineering body kit .

I added a direct link to the picture on the Innovator Z web site .

Thanks,
Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Spudz on 12/06/02 02:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spudz 03-17-2003 11:45 PM

it Looks like Reaction Reasearch is back in business with these body kits. Now all he needs is people to buy them :)

FPguy 03-18-2003 11:58 PM

Newbie to this site

Hey Guys,
I just discovered this site and found my race partner and I have been mentioned. We're Steve and Ian - running the 71 FP car out of Fresno.
Missed our first event (Ian and his wife had a baby that day) but our next one is April 13th at Castle Airbase. Hope some of you can make it.
Attached is a photo of the car at Castle.
Steve

Spudz 03-19-2003 09:13 AM

Hey, Is this the ZF Racing adjustable control arm car ?? I have seen pictures of this car before :)

Welcome to the Z Racing forums Steve !

I think there is a few guys down in your area .

FPguy 03-19-2003 09:21 AM

Adjustable A-arms

Yes - both front and rear arms are adjustable (ZF Racing parts). It allows an amazing range of alignment settings - all done very quickly. Much superior to anything done at the top of the strut.

Anyone going to the Z Car Nats in Southern CA next month? We plan to take the car to run the autocross.

Steve

tholt29 03-19-2003 10:55 AM

Okay... I'll bite... Where does one get a look at ZF Racing adjustable control arms? How much do they cost, etc... Judginf by the big ZF on the hood, I assume you guys are affiliated with them?

Tom

FPguy 03-19-2003 05:59 PM

ZF Racing

Contact Mike Kelly dat74z@yahoo.com

We have nothing to do with the manufacturing but we've been experimenting with them since Mike started production. Try his e-mail - he responds pretty quickly. The last I heard he was talking about going pretty high tech with the materials. Ours is the "first generation" stuff but still very high quality.

Our alignment settings are pretty unusual for a Z car - and it can only be done with this type of set up.

As a result of this set up it stuck really well but leaned too much (you can see it in the photo) - to correct that we've changed everything (lowered the car - stiffer springs - change pick up points) this year. It's essentially a new car - we'll see how it works.

Steve