ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/)
-   -   Done for the year here (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/done-year-here-10958/)

jburge01 12-06-2004 07:16 PM

Done for the year here

Blew 2nd gear Sunday. I won't have time to look into it until January, so stick a fork in me.

Here's a 5.7 meg video one of the innocent bystanders sent me a few days ago of my car you can download if you have nothing better to do. It's my car, but even if it wasn't, I'd still like the sound.

Video

Spudz 12-06-2004 10:06 PM

Very cool video John :cheers:

Next year you need to come up with a in car video :woot:

zlalomz 12-07-2004 10:20 AM

Your carb growl is better than a Clapton power chord.

I have stockpiled transmissions for my autocross return next season, since I would go through at least 2 a year. I have a pile of stuck in gears 4 and 5 speeds and one bellhousing with a hole from an exploded clutch pressure plate. (I had watched rally on Speed the night before and tried popping the clutch in a tight corner that had bogged down the revs. ) :doh:

jburge01 12-07-2004 10:52 AM

This is the first real tranny problem for me. Second gear just disappeared. I mixed up a homemade batch of tire softener on Sat and treated my old hard R45 slicks that have about 200 runs on them, then blew the tranny at Sunday's autox. I was looking for an alternative to Formula V, because that seemed to make my tires more greasy than anything. The concoction seems to have worked pretty well. I guess I'll attribute the tranny problem to the increase in traction. ;)

tholt29 12-08-2004 11:06 AM

Which tranny were were you running John? I have a spare 4 speed if that would help.

Tom

jburge01 12-08-2004 11:27 AM

Tom, thanks, but I'm running an '83 ZX 5 speed like you. I had a 4 speed also, but those don't do us much good anymore. I cut the input shaft off of the 4 speed(horror!) so I could use it to align dual clutch disks, and then put the rest of it outside. My wife gets tired of my junk laying around and she had the yardman put it out on the street for trash pickup, and somebody took it before the the trash pickup came. Hopefully, there wasn't anything else useful in the 4 speed.

I was just searching some boards and saw where somebody paid a couple hundred bucks from the dealer just for a new 2nd gear in one of these 5 speeds so I think I'll be making a trip to pick 'n pull for another 5 speed first chance I get.

tholt29 12-09-2004 11:16 AM

>...so I think I'll be making a trip to pick 'n pull for another 5 speed first >chance I get.

If they have two at a good price I'll buy one from you!

Tom

jburge01 12-09-2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tholt29
>...so I think I'll be making a trip to pick 'n pull for another 5 speed first >chance I get.

If they have two at a good price I'll buy one from you!

Tom

Alright. I'll get in touch before I go. All the cars are up in the air already so its not too much effort to pull them unless you have to lie in a big mud puddle.