ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Motorsports (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/)
-   -   11.5" Slicks on 10 " wheels (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/motorsports-14/11-5%22-slicks-10-%22-wheels-4560/)

Spudz 12-10-2002 09:53 PM

11.5" Slicks on 10 " wheels

Hey guys,
Any of you have experience using Hooiser 23.5 " X 11.5 " x 16 " slicks on the 16 " x 10 " wheels ? I have a GT racer that has a couple of sets of tale offs available.

The Hooiser databased showed the 10" wheel as an acceptable width. just wanted some other input.

Thanks,
Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by spudz on 12/10/02 10:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrittB 12-11-2002 06:23 AM

Re: 11.5" Slicks on 10 " wheels

I'm not sure about the size yet but how much are you asking and where would they ship from? I might be interested.

Britt Boyette,
Break Like the Wind Racing

tholt29 12-11-2002 07:48 AM

They will definitely work, you just have to be more careful of rubbing issues. Brian Taubman's wave car used to run them before Brian owned it. I know they won't fit under the flares on my car. If they did I would probably run them.

Tom

Spudz 12-11-2002 08:39 AM

Britt,
He hasn't replied with the price yet. He also will have a set of Goodyears available early next year. The guy is over in Seattle and also races at PIR, so getting them shouldn't be a problem. I will let you know the price when I get it .

Tom,
Will the large bond on IMSA flares that MSA sale work with the wider tires ? I guess the only way to know that is to try them [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BrittB 12-11-2002 06:07 PM

Put me down for a pair when you get them. I will need to know how much they are when you find out. Flairs won't be an issue as I'm making my own.

Britt Boyette,

Spudz 12-13-2002 08:03 AM

Britt,
He wants $100 for the set of 4. He said they would have plenty of rubber left on them for autocross and maybe a lap day . I was almost going to try and pick them up for me to use. Let me know what you think .

Mike

BrittB 12-13-2002 01:12 PM

I think that's not a bad deal at all. How about emailing me so we can put something together. Save me 4 of them puppies!

rcsubs@attbi.com

Britt Boyette,

Spudz 12-13-2002 03:27 PM

Britt,
I will send him your email addy tonight. He usually checks his mail once a day or so.

Mike

Spudz 03-20-2003 07:50 PM

Hey Guys,
I am upping these old posts so some of the newbies can see them.

Mike

mudge 03-21-2003 01:22 AM

Wow, I want to cry. $100 for 4 - 16x10" wheels? Congragulations, you just won the lottery :D I am looking at a pair of 16 pound, 16x9.5" wheels but a set of 4 will cost me about $860 + shipping. Then the flairs, coil overs, tires... oh boy.

BrittB 03-21-2003 08:59 AM

Sorry Mudge, that was for a set of tires only. Have you checked with Diamond Wheels. You can get a far better deal on 4, 16X10 wheels from them for around $650 shipped. I also have my coilovers from Ross/ MM now. Great looking product.

mudge 03-21-2003 10:01 AM

I'll try to look into that, I imagine Google will find them ;)

Spudz 03-21-2003 10:09 AM

Mudge ,
Here is the link to the Diamond web site :

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com

Diamond steel wheels are nice for the price , but when yous start getting into the large sizes the weights go way up there. I am currently using the 15 x 8's and they are pretty heavy.

You missed the set of 16 x 10's Circles that Dennis had for $400.

hades 03-24-2003 08:18 AM

Curiosity wise, did anyone read the BRE article in the latest Sport Z? Did you see where Peter Brock advocates skinnier tires? Is there anything to his theories, or have we pretty much discarded them because they are false?

-L.K.

tube80z 03-25-2003 10:30 AM

Originally posted by hades
Curiosity wise, did anyone read the BRE article in the latest Sport Z? Did you see where Peter Brock advocates skinnier tires? Is there anything to his theories, or have we pretty much discarded them because they are false?

-L.K.

You have to ask yourself if the first corner counts. If you think it does then a skinnier tire may make some sense. Look at Gary Milligan and Joe Cheng's phantom for the theory in practice.

tholt29 03-26-2003 09:12 AM

I finally read that article last night and came to the conclusion that in a very specific set of circumstances he COULD be correct. All he needs to make his skinny tires work is computer controlled aerodynamics. Umm... okay... Even if he did have that, his concept would still require significant speed and/or HUGE wings to generate enough down force to exceed the cornering limits of fat tires. If you were rolling along at 20 mph in heavy traffic and had to swerve to miss something in the road, you aren't going match the reaction possible with wider tires. I won't even bother getting into acceleration from a stop, where his views make no sense at all.

His ideas could very possibly hold promise on a roadcourse or other high speed track. All he has to do is get the governing bodies to remove all aerodynamic restrictions. To call the current technology "fashion" is pretty weak... I'll be keeping my fat tires as far into the future as I can see.

Tom

mudge 03-27-2003 12:29 PM

Are we talking a skinnier tire on a fat wheel? Or a small tire overall?

Going with small tires will not only allow for less initial grip in corners and stopping ability, but will overheat faster if used at the same road speeds as the larger tire, due to slip-heating.

hades 03-27-2003 04:20 PM

Is there a point where wider tires (all other things being equal - no fender rub/clearance issues, etc) start to become a detriment? I can a imagine a scenerio where a very light car competeing in solo II could have too much tire. The tire might not heat up enough during the run to provide appropriate traction, and the contact pressure per square inch might be low - Does this matter? E.g., if the car wieghs 1000 lbs and is perfectly balanced each tire will get a static 250 pounds if the contact patch is 25 Square inches - this would be 10 pounds per square inch; if the contact patch is doubled to 50 inches - this is 5 pound per sqare inch, but, twice the rubber surface area. If the compund is too hard, or other tire characteristics are such that the tire can no longer deform enough under this load does this lead to a detriment in traction? If yes, when does this happen? Or are the extremes where this occurs so far out there that for practicle purposes "wider is better" period? What about MOI (moment of inertia), and other weight issues?

(I'm just playing devils advocate here.... I've always put the widest thing on the rims that would fit under the fenders and into the rules - pardon how pedantic I'm being, I just haven't heard answers to these specific issues before.)

-Lukas