The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

New comer to zdriver

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 AM

New comer to zdriver

Hi all, this is my first post, and probably one of the few i will ever post, as i like to just read/SEARCH and learn. I will probobly get critisized a little(is my spelling bad? ) as i have done a v8 swap into my 1979 280zx. The stock motor was on its last leg and opportunity to do the conversion was about perfect as i found a doner with 350 and 700r4. i had to do a complete rebuild on the motor as it had i think 120k on it. I did most of it in high school auto shop 3 years ago.(project haulted right after i got the engine and tranny in-just now getting funds together to do more upgrades) I guess i figured it would be a peice of cake bolt in application. Dont get me wrong the kit that jtr makes worked awesome but jtr claims the v8 doesnt affect performance, but i could tell instantly that this car was no longer 50/50 as it now feels like an old school bus on the curves. but in the straights (on street, I havent taken it to the track yet) its all that neck snaping torque that makes it all worth it. the rear end slams down, the front end soars, and my camber is horrible in the rear...
// \\
BUT its fast
It still has stock suspension, all new urethane bushings and new shocks were a good start. I am debating which spring setup to purchase. i know with the v8 conversion i should go with the rear adjustables from modern...but 600+
Would the suspension technique 1" drop springs work ok? Ive read they have the stiffest replacement springs out of eibach and tokico.
my car has bad camber just sitting(horrible under accel) I have searched and read many posts and im thinking it(technique) should be fine for my intentions; street driving, and maybe...maybe the occasional 1/4mi visit. Im worried about my rear diff a little, and im kindof afraid to launch hard as i dont have the extra doe to replace that YET. I just dont want to keep replacing my tires as the insides wear down. I know that the 280zx were notorious for this as the springs would start to sag. I guess what im worried about is the 1" drop...if my car is anywhere near stock height(i believe its not) then the drop would only make camber issues worse right? IMHO i think or hope that the "drop" would actually raise it a little. also i imagine the springs are stiffer, but are they stiff enough to fight the camber under hard accel?
any and all feedback is welcome
Oh yea, My name is luke and i drive a 355 280zx in North Dakota.
I just wanted to introduce myself as i am new to zdriver, I have been mainly over at hybridz absorbing info to complete this swap. I can only access this site from work though(and not hybridz), and work has been slow at the gm dealership. I like the setup of this site a little better i think.
P.S.- anyone thinking about the v8 swap.....dont...Unless u want a poor handling z that hauls donkey...just throw that money towards your l28 and do a turbo swap...or supercharge it...its probly cheaper.
IMO, a stock zx would problably rape me on a road course(even with the extra straight line power)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Wow! You are obviously experienced. We usually tell the n00b's to search because they ask basic overkilled questions. So by all means, post away.

As for your Z, the 280zx w/ an inline 6 has almost a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Swapping in a V8 throws off the balance. That's why most Z'ers wanting to do a V8 swap stick to S30's (240z-280z). ST springs should work very well, but to adjust for power & balance I would suggest coil overs.

And lets see some pics!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Über User

second all of that^^^

now what motor should go in my 240Z.... hmmm...
Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
now what motor should go in my 240z.... Hmmm...
LS9 ftw....
Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM

no keep an inline 6...cummins! o yeah.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Pics may be a while as i am about 300 mi away from my car right now.(its at my parents place) I really havent driven the car too much as i also need to upgrade the radiator. To be perfectly honest, my dad actually funded 80% of the car, and i did about 80% of the work, so im acutally sorta buying the car from my dad if that makes any sense(even though its registered under my dad OR me) As soon as its in my complete possesion i will post many pics, along with issues with the swap and what ive done to overcome them to help others with the swap.

One thing we did but probably didnt have to do is run the exhaust headers upsidedown to avoid power steering issues(and because we got regular headers, not the shorty/ or ramhorn). they point forward and up, and the piping runs infront of the motor but behind the radiator and then under the engine and back to dual glasspacks, this allowed us to run dual 2.5" pipe all the way. athough ground clearance where the pipes go under the tranny mount is pretty tight. the pipes end right before the rear diff with turndowns. I eventually want to get ramhorns to eliminate the extra piping mess. but then again, twin turbos would be easy(with holes cut in the hood)... future dreams haha
Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Über User

that... sounds incredibly unnecessary haha. the exhaust that is. this i gotta see.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

I just brought/bought my datsun back from my dads on 6-7-09. It is now safely in my garage. i will post pics soon, but i must warn, the body is in ugly shape paint any ways. im not sure how much the pics will show it though. Ive taken it on a couple of drives around town now and it seems to be running fine besides a weird vibration from the trans tunnel, and needing to adjust the b&m shifter linkage.(could be related) I tried to put it on my lift at the dealership and the wheel base was too short to swing the lift arms under and i was in a hurry so i said *F* it. do it later. The engine i rebuilt now has about 400 miles, its time for another oil change. pics hopefully tonight.
Luke
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Pics are in photo gallery

finally got a few pics of my car as i had to find a memory card adapter for the camera, sorry for poor lighting/quality. hope you like