The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

homework

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah true that. but i've also read that it's vastly considered safe exept for a few scientists that just want to make a fuss about that little tiny possibility.

but any way, anyone know how to put that **** into scientific notation?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

As long as I've got a bag of marshmallows and a long stick, I'll roast the mallows and drink a beer and toast you all! HAHAHA!! Super Colliders FTW!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

you had the correct notation
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah it's correct, but how can i put it into the computer? the web site didn't accept that format
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
exactly ^^^^ so we got one thing in common ehhh... maybe my resentment for you will die haha... ahh who am i kidding, i can only hate truly ridiculous people

oh and they start that bitch up tomorrow i believe
=D. No hard feelings man, I'm over it lets be pals

And yeah they're firing it up at 7:30 (Not sure if it's am or pm) so it's like in 3 hours man if it's am

The good news is I think they're not doing any collisions till October 21st or something.

We can all be hopeful that theoretically it's not all gonna blow up and kill most of us haha
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Pr0n Addict

(2.45*10^2g)(44.7m/s)^2
over

my answer has to be g*m^2/s^2

don't know if i wrote it all right. but it's a dousey
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Über User

yup only one particle i believe is being sent out as a test run, i guess it cant fully power up by tommorow to do what they want to....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

i'm pretty sure one particle is enough for it to fulfil everyone's fears...
Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Über User

the point is its got nothing to collide with.....
Old 09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah i see that now. i read up on it real quick.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Sorry I got here late, ladies... didn't notice anyone needed help until now. You guys need to fix the ZLover4Life signal - I wasn't able to see it in the clouds.

First off, the LHC is not going to end the world neither tomorrow nor in a few months when they go full power with it.

Get to reading... there are occurrences in nature (on Earth) happening every second that are, overall, more powerful than the LHC could ever produce.
http://www.newscientist.com/blog/sho...calypse%20axed

Now, first question was answered satisfactorily, apparently; second wasn't answered but you moved on, so I'll start with that.

0.00047 = 4.7*10^-4 = 4.7*10^(-4) or perhaps 4.7E(-4) or 4.7E-4

Last question...

i.e. 244766.025gm^2/s^2

Maple 11 FTW!

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 09-10-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:22 AM
eff good grammar

i keep thinking theyre going to test the large hardon collider.

the way i see it is it cant make the economy any worse
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i keep thinking theyre going to test the large hardon collider.

the way i see it is it cant make the economy any worse
Test is finished. They fired one beam of protons clockwise - success. Five hours later, they fired one beam of protons counter clockwise - success.

Now they are prepared to actually have protons collide, to do what the machine was meant to do.

And again, that is not something to fear. Read the link I posted and do further research... this isn't a question of the world ending. It's a question of science finally disproving creationism and further advancing our understanding of M-Theory.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Pr0n Addict

right you are. i forgot about the E notation. i always write it as 10^6 or whatever. thanks man. you save the day again.

it seems i was making the second one a little more complicated then it needed to be. there were a lot like that, so i just needed to see it once i guess. thanks much.

interesting article. i have read similar things but this one was a lot more informed. stupid critics
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM

In my opinion (I read the article) they have a few problems with that comparison. Not that I'm against the LHC tests, just a little concerned.

Firstly, a controlled experiment where a proton is FORCED to collide DIRECTLY into another one, at equi-distant speed, is a lot different from radiation bombarding a heliosphere. Think of it like the difference of spraying two water guns at each other, 2 of them on "Shower" and then two of them on the small, narrow setting that has a lot more force. Just because there's more water in the "Shower" setting (Or energy in the cosmic rays) doesn't mean it's the same thing, or more destructive. Not to mention the heliosphere reflects, deflects, and lowers the intensity of everything it encounters. It's more like a soft glove than crashing into each other. Also, in space there is MUCH more room to expand and ease any sort of violent reaction that might occur.

Notice how there isn't constant nuclear explosions going on outside our atmosphere from atoms bombarding each-other with enough force to split a billion times? There is an amount of naturally occurring nuclear fission however with cosmic ray spallation yet it's not enough to cause a major destructive force. But it isn't like a calculated fission, like an a-bomb/h-bomb.

And above all else, lets not forget a few things.

A) This is all in theory, not one of the things people say "Oh it wont happen because of this" or "It will happen because of this" has ever occurred before, that's why the experiment is taking place... uh.. in.. the first.. place.

B) No one truly knows what will happen till it's had an actual collision.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, I'm just saying, there is no proof that nothing will happen. It's more than likely that the physicists know what they're doing. But I find it discourteous to compare 2 similar-yet-not-even-the-same things as proof that nothing bad will happen. If you've ever read the actual safety issue release they gave, you will find no proof, only speculation, that nothing bad will occur. They sure worded it cleverly though lol.

Edit: Damn we totally hijacked the thread.. I'm sorry man!

Last edited by Zachrates; 09-10-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Well that certainly is the critique - nobody knows, for sure, what will happen. Gotta help a calc student real quick, I'll come back and say more when I'm done.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I was never providing that link as "proof" that nothing bad would happen. But people who haven't studied this level of physics (i.e. the majority of people) don't understand that these kinds of events do happen in nature - they're not creating something that has never gone on before. You're right in that there is no absolute certainty that we'll be ok... but as a mathematician, I tend to rely on numbers.

For example, there is a chance that a meteorite could crash through my ceiling, puncture my head, and kill me as I type this. But the chance is so extremely low that I'm not at all afraid of it happening.

And the probability of something going catastrophically wrong with the LHC are likely very low as well, else the scientists themselves (who have exact minds like me) wouldn't risk doing the experiment. It's simply not worth destroying the world to prove the big bang, so if there were a reasonable risk of that, they probably wouldn't bother.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 09-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Über User

w/e im still hoping for some sweet dark matter. haha.

also, we still got the fear of the micro robots they want to make to clean up pollution and fix crap that are self replicating. lol grey goo theory....
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Ah yeah I know. I didn't mean to come off as like "You wrong!", sorry if I did. Wasn't my intent really, I was more or less, just elaborating my opinion.

I disagree though. This hasn't happened in nature, only something similar as I was saying, that's kind of why I'm hesitant about it and really hope they know better than me ^_^(And assuredly they do). If we were just simply doing what cosmic rays did already, I'd totally agree with you, but we're not. That article is a tad bit flawed in it's reasoning. Even hawkings himself mentioned that hawkings radiation has never been seen ever, and he doesn't know what it'll take to close a black hole. We're going to be going in uncharted territory soon - and there's a bit more of a chance than the meteorite analogy, it's more like "You're driving home today, you may have a traffic collision, but you're a safe driver so you will most likely be fine".

True, they wouldn't risk it. But there are variables, Pride as a scientist getting in the way, and ignorance/bias. But thinking numbers like you said, you're probably right. the probability of something going wrong catastrophically, is low, especially with our track record of venturing into unknown science. We've pretty much won a great deal more than we've lost (Although as typing this, I was lol'ing because Hindenburg came to mind haha =) )

I'm also a pretty big pessimist, and I'm just thinking of all the technologies that will come out after their research, and all the weapons. I think that scares me the most.

You know, as an off topic, I despise math mostly, I always have, but I have always loved physics, doesn't that suck? They go hand in hand and I never liked math =(.

Edit: Lol snw. Skynet goes online in 3...2...1...
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Über User

check out what this Indian girl did to celebrate LHC!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26641652/

lol thats ****in redi

also the sun sends out like photon's and is made of plasma no? so i dont see how it can send out things that would create the reaction of the LHC otherwise we would be able to just study that. also the LHC is supposed to be able to reach right near the speed of light i believe and according to Einstein that could me another possible problem
Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh yeah, breaking the light barrier lol.

i don't know how you could include an lol in your response to a girl killing herself over this. stupid as it was, it's still sad.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Über User

nope, not sad, no pity for the dumb.... sorry i have no shame when it comes to idiocy of that level. it def deserves a lol. plus i've been forced by my 19th century lit class to read alot of russian fiction from the late 1800's all of which the main character has died and one where he both died and killed people yet no one has pity for the person that dies not even when its their father or husband, crazy ruskies....
Old 09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Pr0n Addict

i would rather show remorse that that level of stupidity exists in this world rather then laugh at it.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM

LOL

No way. That's classic.

Remorse is something of a waste. It doesn't bring people back to life imo. Tragedy is the comedy relief of success
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Pr0n Addict

remorse may be a waste, but laughing at that girls ignorance isn't just as much of a waste? i don't know. it doesn't bother me too much. she was stupid, so no big loss, i guess i just have something against laughing about the death of someone i didn't know