The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Hey Nismopick...SHE LIVES (KZ440 LTD)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Hey Nismopick...SHE LIVES (KZ440 LTD)

Check it out guys, I got her running....she needs some tweaking but I got her running!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Political n00b crusher

Allright!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Über User

throttle sticking?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
throttle sticking?
Not the throttle...something on the carbs is acting a fool...should have it sorted out directly.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 PM
The Good Twin

w00t!!!

They are twin carbs on the rear of the heads (like directly under the seat) right? My carbs are damn sticky too. Anything below 60 degrees it takes 5 minutes of cranking to get her started. Above 60 degress... starts right up. I haven't pulled the carbs tho because it looks like a biotch to do.

Lemme know how that goes...
Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
w00t!!!

They are twin carbs on the rear of the heads (like directly under the seat) right? My carbs are damn sticky too. Anything below 60 degrees it takes 5 minutes of cranking to get her started. Above 60 degress... starts right up. I haven't pulled the carbs tho because it looks like a biotch to do.

Lemme know how that goes...
I will let you know...it is actually not that hard to remove the carbs, yes they are twin carbs. If you can remove the rubber boots that go into the airbox, which is a pain but doable then you are golden...Remove those boots, disconnect the oil sensor connection if yours is on the right side...undo the clamps that hold the carbs (band clamps) disconnect the petcock hoses, disconnect the two overflow tubes on the bottom of the float bowls...shimmy and pull the carbs to the rear of the bike until they pop out and remove them through the right side of the bike slowly as you have to undo the throttle cable...it sounds like alot but takes about 4 minutes or less...I don't even remove the tank now...I just lift it up a little if I am bored.

I hate to say it but it is easier than the ZX's to work on...but I still like the ZX's. If you plan to do it...which I think you should if you haven't, get yourself two large spay cans of Valvoline Throttle Body and Carb cleaner...by by varnish...this stuff is super good at cleaning gum and varnish and is the main reason this bike is running after sitting for 2 years. If you need ANY help I will help you out...it is actually fun to take the carbs apart and they are a very simple design with few major parts. The only weird thing is the way my bike vibrates my sac....ALOT....but it's all good!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
West Coast!

Originally Posted by thxone
The only weird thing is the way my bike vibrates my sac....ALOT....but it's all good!
i wish my car vibrated my sac i bet it feels like a massage for your nuts!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by tonsoffun300zx
i wish my car vibrated my sac i bet it feels like a massage for your nuts!!!
A bit but I don't want them to turn blue...wait thats from something different all together....oooops!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 PM
West Coast!

haha but that would suck a massage plus the pain of blue ball.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Hey Nismo....check out what I did!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
The Good Twin

Now she lives! Sounds like it's running better.... and you cleaned her up.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Now she lives! Sounds like it's running better.... and you cleaned her up.
It is amazing how much different the bike was once I synced the carbs...night and day...the messed up thing is I was test riding it with a flat tire up front...that was a little messed up when I noticed it...after I rode her.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM

I rebuilt the starter today...all new brushes and O rings...now she starts the first time everytime. I thought it was going to be hard to rebuild the starter but it only took like 15min once I decided to do it. I made sure to clean the armature real good and used some emery cloth where the brushes contact the armature then cleaned out the grooves...sounds cool when I push the start button, no more humming, grinding, whistling or anything...kinda sounds like it is using compressed air to kick it over but it does start really fast now. Next, fork seals.

Last edited by thxone; 06-05-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by thxone
I thought it was going to be hard to rebuild the starter but it only took like 15min once I decided to do it.
ya, electric motors are super simple.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Über User

looks like you need to get yo motoz cycle legz back yoz! lol stickin the foot down on the left turn haha. lean bitch!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Nice man. Feels great to get on a motorcycle that you made run right.

I started reading this thread, and watched the first video. First thought was. Did he synch the carbs? Sticking vacuum operated slides?

But, you got that figured out.

Are your carbs fully cable operated? Or are they the CV type that uses vacuum to lift the slide primaries? Classic Japanese bikes are a hobby of mine, but I don't work on the Kwaks much. Although a KZ1000 would be fun.

Sounds much better in the second vid.

Get the safety stuff fixed before riding!!

No bad tires, brakes, chain, lights etc.

Keep the shiney side up.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ratfink
Nice man. Feels great to get on a motorcycle that you made run right.

I started reading this thread, and watched the first video. First thought was. Did he synch the carbs? Sticking vacuum operated slides?

But, you got that figured out.

Are your carbs fully cable operated? Or are they the CV type that uses vacuum to lift the slide primaries? Classic Japanese bikes are a hobby of mine, but I don't work on the Kwaks much. Although a KZ1000 would be fun.

Sounds much better in the second vid.

Get the safety stuff fixed before riding!!

No bad tires, brakes, chain, lights etc.

Keep the shiney side up.
Thanks for the comments. The carbs are twin Keihin CV36's and yeah I had to clean the hell out of them but it was worth it. They have a vacuum line running to the right carb from the petcock and the left carb has a vacuum cap on its port. I made a manometer and got the sync very close...the bike is only rough when cold but 10min later when it is warmed up she sits right at 1,200rpm and is smooth...I imagine that if I replace this 2 into 1 aftermarket exhaust and either put a 2 into 2 back on or another 2 into 1 on the bike it will run even better, I think ALL the packing in this muffle is gone and I know when I had it off alot of crap fell out the front and back...sounds cool though but probably not good for what I think are still stock jets. Thank god it still has the factory air box.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM

I put new fork seals in my Kawasaki today...the bike is nearly done now. I am apparently good at working on motorcycles but not on Z cars.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Big Poppa

cool, i was gonna say tune the carbs, but you did!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Got my front tire mounted properly...no more lump in the front tire and it is seated perfectly. Took her for a ride after the tire was fixed to see if the vibration was gone as before, as soon as I hit 50mph the lump in the tire caused the bikes front end to bounce a little and vibrate. I got her up to 65mph and it was perfect and smooth. I think I will try 70mph soon...since i have a good Shoei helmet...you know, the one Snw says is a waste cause my bike is an old crappy bike and not a race bike.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Über User

more money than necessary, at the very least, wrong style for that era bike, also, get a jacket if your going to be "testin" a bike out at those speeds that your unsure of lol.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Glad you got your tire fixed man. By the way I see you are STILL having sex with yourself................right now.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
more money than necessary, at the very least, wrong style for that era bike, also, get a jacket if your going to be "testin" a bike out at those speeds that your unsure of lol.
Yes mummy...I will get on that. lol I agree it is the wrong style but it makes my "crappy" bike look faster. I have found a Tourmaster jacket for a good price, CE certified elbow and shoulder armor and an articulated 3 piece back armor plates, all removable. $139. The jacket is leather and 600/1260 denier polyester mesh, is a race style, which I like and is black...also what I like. P.S. Do you have any sisters?

Originally Posted by JBs280Z
Glad you got your tire fixed man. By the way I see you are STILL having sex with yourself................right now.
Yes, yes I am and I am proud of it...cant catch the clap from myself

Last edited by thxone; 06-19-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Booyah!!!!! I got my Jacket in the mail today!!!!! Tell me I wont be visible with this setup...they should see me coming AND going.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Über User

dude, why dont people ever see bikes coming? its cause they are ignorant and shouldnt have a license and probably would pull out infront of a speeding elephant. goto out fit, now just get a bike more fitting for the sport bike rider look lol

Quick Reply: Hey Nismopick...SHE LIVES (KZ440 LTD)