ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (Off Topic) (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/)
-   -   Formal Introductions (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/formal-introductions-36603/)

Homeboyx 12-01-2012 12:44 PM

Formal Introductions

Hey everybody, just thought I would introduce myself to all of you. The name's Walter and I'm a Los Angeles, CA native. Been a fan all my life pretty much and just decided to do some research on them because my i6 rwd itch came back. Never owned one myself, but hopefully I will in the future. I never liked the 280zx to be honest, but looking at some 280zx's from here really changed that perspective.

Anyway in closing I would like to ask a somewhat obvious question which I probably already have the answer to but would like confirmation on.. While searching through this place I've read about alot of swapping parts from different cars, which I'm pretty sure would need some light to heavy modification to work. My question is, do these cars have any real aftermarket support? Or is 98% of all modifications for these cars custom made one off parts?

Tooquick260 12-01-2012 01:10 PM

Motorsportauto.com
Datsunpartsllc.com
Many more sites/shops offer other parts. I just got an old Z myself and figured out that theyre very much still alive

Mishimoto 12-03-2012 07:24 AM

Welcome to the forum Walter! You came to the right place for information. Is it the 280ZX you are only interested in?

Homeboyx 12-03-2012 09:12 AM

I'm interested in a s30 or a s130. I somewhat prefer a '75 and under model, but I'm open to any good working with minimal to no rust newer models. :D

Homeboyx 01-01-2013 09:35 PM

11 Attachment(s)
So I finally found one. haha

Back Story:

Scowering(?) through CL for a couple of months and researching different types of sporty vehicles in hopes of one day getting my hands on one but yet had no idea on what car specifically I ended up with a list. I was to get either a 240sx, a Cressida, a RX-7, a Celica Supra, a Miata, a S30Z, a S130Z, or an early model Z31.

For those of you still wondering what won...

Attachment 16943
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Car:

1976 Datsun 280z (1 year shy of being SMOG Exempt!! :'( )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Purchase:

I saw it last week on CL for a pretty small chunk of change and thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out. So I did.. and this is what I saw. ETA: 9am

Attachment 16944

Attachment 16945

Pretty good looking car for less than I paid for my GS right!? (Forgot to take pics of it without the car cover :ohgeez:)

The catch?

Attachment 16946

Now... the regular joe schmoe would've ran far, far away from it as soon as he laid his eyes upon that. But being the optimistic SOB that I am I went ahead and jacked up the car to scope out the damage underneath so I could kill all doubts I had about it. This is what I saw...

Driver's side.. looks ok..
Attachment 16947

That is NOT a lamp you're looking at :ohgeez:
Attachment 16948

Let there be light!
Attachment 16949

Hmm...
Attachment 16950

Let's look at the other side shall we..

Ehh... that's normal right?
Attachment 16951

Attachment 16952

Gnarly sway bar bolt bend..
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps9f436cd3.jpg

Strut rod tried to make a emergency U-turn, lower arm definitely took a crap..
Attachment 16953

So at this point I am looking all up and down the car for body damage. To my utter shock, everything else is A-OK!

- Full black interior [Check]
- Engine runs (Without hesitation!) [Check]
- Leaks (Minimal)
- Manual transmission [Check]

Homeboyx 01-01-2013 09:36 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Crappy picture, but nonetheless.. 4 TO THE FLOOR!
Attachment 16934

So I gamble my way to from his $400 to $325, and he bit the hook. So off I go to U-haul.. ETA: 10:30am

I spend 2-3 hours driving to countless U-hauls trying to find a damn car dolly so I can get this over with, and I finally do! ETA: 1:30pm

I get back to PO's house and pay the guy immediately and in return I received..

Few of the service records.. I wonder what's in the torn brown envelope. :D
Attachment 16935

And..
Attachment 16936

Along with the pink slip of course!

And then the question dawned upon me, HOW IN THE WORLD AM I GOING TO GET IT UP ON THE DOLLY!? :ohgeez:

After COUNTLESS hours (which seemed like days), countless curse words and ALOT of ingenuity, I managed to get 'er up there. ETA: 6:30pm

So after all of that, the PO forgot to sign the the pinkslip! So I waited 15 minutes for him to come back home (he had left), which turned to 20... which turned to 30... at this point I'm freezing my ass off, and filled with grease/dirt. He finally arrives an hour later gets it signed and off I go! ETA: 8:30pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her New Home:

The next day she is introduced to her fellow companion, a face to face introduction was in order...
Attachment 16937

Part of the damage.. (I liked the wheels too!! :( )
Attachment 16938

As she sits as of last week..

Attachment 16939

That'll buff right out right? ...RIGHT?!
Attachment 16940

Fun picture
Attachment 16941

Does anyone know who makes these wheels btw? Model? :D

Attachment 16942

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Plan? To fix the damage and get her back on the road! After that, who knows.. :fut:

NismoPick 01-01-2013 10:11 PM

First things first, get it on a frame rack at a body shop. With a whack like that, and a fairly weak frame, it's probably been tweaked. If you don't get the frame straight, you will be chasing body and suspension problems forever (I've been there, done that). It's best to get it checked for hopefully around $50, and $200-$500 if they need to pull it.

Then just grab all the suspension parts and put it back together.

As for the wheels, they look like Enkei's or knockoffs. Should have stamped id / info on the backside.

(Courtesy of PurePontiacKid's FB):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39267146_n.jpg

Homeboyx 01-01-2013 11:58 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I think they might be knock offs since there's no sort of stamping on the back. :(

And yea.. I might need to get the frame checked once I get some cash flow in. Hopefully it won't be that expensive.. *crosses fingers*

--------------------------------------------------------------
So I finally had the time to work on it..

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps5c531155.jpg

Attachment 16924

Top view..
Attachment 16925

Attachment 16926

Ehh...
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa2551e03.jpg

Strut rod got it good!
Attachment 16927

Half way done
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps8069aecf.jpg

Look ma', no shock tower damage!
Attachment 16928

Tie rod end being a bitch to take out..
Attachment 16929

Done.. (crappy cell pic)
Attachment 16930

Is it just me.. or is this supposed to be straight(er)?
Attachment 16931

Damage, FAST & FURIOUS STYLE yO!
Attachment 16932

Not bad eh? :D
Attachment 16933

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up..

I'll try to make a jy run tomorrow and see if I can find a good rack tomorrow since there is no inner tie rods on these. :(

Homeboyx 01-02-2013 12:00 AM

Is that rocker panel a removable part btw? As in no cutting required.

Mishimoto 01-02-2013 06:31 AM

Great update! Looks like you have a nice project ahead of you. How is the condition of the interior?

Homeboyx 01-02-2013 11:38 AM

Few cracks in the dash and a pair of rips between the bulges of the driver's seat, other than that it's all there. :D

Mishimoto 01-02-2013 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Homeboyx (Post 320056)
Few cracks in the dash and a pair of rips between the bulges of the driver's seat, other than that it's all there. :D

Normal wear and tear for a vehicle of that age. :biggrin:

FricFrac 01-02-2013 01:19 PM

Nice find. Just need a turbo L28 to throw in there after you get the suspension fixed ;P

Welcome to the club!

Homeboyx 01-02-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mishimoto (Post 320058)
Normal wear and tear for a vehicle of that age. :biggrin:

Exactly. :D

Originally Posted by FricFrac (Post 320062)
Nice find. Just need a turbo L28 to throw in there after you get the suspension fixed ;P

Welcome to the club!

Thanks! Would be nice to throw one or two in there, but with Smog and all.. I doubt it'll make it pass inspection. :(

Homeboyx 01-21-2013 09:02 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here.. we.. GO!

So I finally bring you some updates.

Got my hands on the last piece of the puzzle I needed, I think..

Thumbs up for a straight Inner tie rod! Woot! Woot!

Notice the gnarly purple (black?) bumps on my dumb from when I smashed just the tip of the finger with the BFH!
Attachment 16897

Gloves? AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT!
Purrty good I'd say...

Attachment 16898

Attachment 16899

MUCH better..

Attachment 16900

What's left to do..

Attachment 16901

And I have to install the front sway bar I brought from the JY along with the rear one I disconnected among some other misc. stuff.. :(

Now that I had the whole car uncovered I remember to take some pics of the interior! Finally.. :D

Durrty beast..

Attachment 16902

Attachment 16903

Attachment 16904

Not sure if I should install this or not..

Attachment 16905

Aaand I'm not sure I like this.. I hate that it's screwed in! :mad:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4e279e6a.jpg

And that's it for today folks!
It looks like tomorrow is the day the front wheels hit the ground finally. :D

Mishimoto 01-22-2013 06:31 AM

Interior looks very clean. Is that a roll bar I see?

Homeboyx 01-22-2013 10:57 AM

That is indeed a roll bar. :D

Mishimoto 01-22-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Homeboyx (Post 320623)
That is indeed a roll bar. :D

Excellent, keep up the good work and the updates. :icon_super:

Homeboyx 01-22-2013 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So... car is still not on the ground! :mad:

I managed to install the "new" front sway bar.. it was actually more difficult that it seemed, weird.

So I was trying to remove the tie rod end so I can screw on to the inner tie rod easier and whacked it a few times. Would not come out. So I said screw it and do it the slower way, wrench it in slowy but surely. After that I tightened the castle nut up nice and snugly, when installing the cotter pin I noticed that it wouldn't go through all the way! The castle nut was kinda smashed and wouldn't let it go through. So I thought to myself, "Ok, I'll just replace it with the old, good looking one and call it a day." Boy was I wrong.. Once I removed the beat up and crummy castle nut, the good castle nut wouldn't catch on the threads! :mad:

So after fiddling with it and nothing was happening, I decided re-thread it.. only to find out that I don't have a die big enough for that damn stud. So I had to buy a new tie rod after all... so I pretty much said "fukitol" and whipped out the MBFH and finally got it out. I called a couple of places to see where I can get it by today (part must be ordered :ohgeez:), and finally found a place. I get my ass over there and order it. Headed back home, waited an hour and a half and went back to pick up the part. At this time it's already 5:30pm. So I get there only to find out the guy didn't order the right one! When he found the right part it the price changed, instead of being $14 it was now $40! FOR A TIE ROD END?! Long story short I took my refund.. :ohgeez:

So now I'll have to wait until the weekend comes so I can lay my hands on the car again.. and I still have to order the part from somewhere else.. sigh*

Smashed castle nut

Attachment 16895

Left- JY tie rod
Right- Old bent tie rod

Attachment 16896

How it sits now.. SO CLOSE!

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps8afc3c98.jpg

So.. until the weekend it is.. :(

Mishimoto 01-23-2013 06:27 AM

That was not the news I wanted to hear. I am sure you can find that part a bit cheaper somewhere online, perhaps rockauto. Good luck :icon_super:

Homeboyx 01-23-2013 09:47 AM

I'm trying to get it down during this weekend. It'll take atleast a week if I order it online.. :(

Homeboyx 01-25-2013 07:16 PM

ARGH! So I finally got to ordering a new outer tie rod end from a local auto parts store. It'll be here on TUESDAY! My gawd.. seems like forever. :(

Mishimoto 01-28-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Homeboyx (Post 320745)
ARGH! So I finally got to ordering a new outer tie rod end from a local auto parts store. It'll be here on TUESDAY! My gawd.. seems like forever. :(

Yikes, that is quite a wait. Well at least it provides time to reflect on the project and plan for the next job to tackle. :icon_super:

Homeboyx 01-28-2013 11:33 AM

Yea, perfect time for my dd to break down... and break down it did. :disgust:

Originally Posted by Mishimoto (Post 320826)
Yikes, that is quite a wait. Well at least it provides time to reflect on the project and plan for the next job to tackle. :icon_super:

Mishimoto 01-28-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Homeboyx (Post 320838)
Yea, perfect time for my dd to break down... and break down it did. :disgust:

Bummer! What is wrong with it? What kind of car?