ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (Off Topic) (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/)
-   -   eccentric bolt removal!!!! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/eccentric-bolt-removal-30460/)

snwbrderphat540 04-07-2010 11:01 PM

eccentric bolt removal!!!!

ok im trying to replace the lower toe control arms on my s2k and everyone is like bla bla bla need a special tool to drop the ball joint from the knuckle on the hub assembly, first off, NOPE! bitch fell right out. tool bags. however on the other end where it mounts to the body it is held in place with an eccentric bolt for adjusting the toe/camber.

welllllllllll, mine is siezed, and every writeup i found just says remove it, like the bitch just slides right out. lol. mine DOES NOT. there is a rubber bushing in between the arm and bolt so since pounding the end wont work i figure, hmmmmmm heat up the bolt head and it should release from the rubber, OH WAIT i forgot that there is a aluminum retaining sleeve on the inside of the bushing wich is what is seized to the bolt. FAWKIN A!!!! so i grab my cut off wheel, figure hell just go grad 8 bolt and nut since the new control arms are adjustable and the eccentric bolt will no longer be necessary, except the cut off wheel wont work since it wont fit in there. BALL SACK! sooooo, i am going to try and soak it now with penetrating lube tonight and then get a ball join press to try and press it out (if it fits) but wondering if anyone else has any ideas/dealed with anything like this? same thing happened on my buddies 96 civic. so it seems to be a common suspension design in honda overall. so should be typical. i just need to remove this bitch!!!!

hoov100 04-08-2010 12:58 AM

Use a big hammer, lots of PB, and lots of heat. if that doesnt work, don't you have a saws all and a short metal blade?

snwbrderphat540 04-08-2010 09:00 AM

ahhhhh never thought of the saws all... touchey.

i have used a big hammer and PB and heat though. especially heat. haha. im gonna try my ball joint press idea first, if no go, its getting cut. though i have a feeling the saws all will even have a hard time cutting this.

KasbeKZ 04-08-2010 09:21 AM

yeah between a sawzaw and a cutting wheel you can get to almost anything! i have a little tiny saws all air tool that picks up everything in between.

snwbrderphat540 04-08-2010 12:27 PM

well, triedthe press, no go. so istarted to saws all it but it was soooo slow, then i found a smaller cutting wheel! THAT thing wrkd great. and you can almost make out no differentiation between the bolt and bushing sleeve, ****ing honda prob doesn't grease those bushings for shit and since they aren't protect by any boot it probably welded together from friction over the years. ass hats. lol. good news is, another hour after school and i should be done with this and have a nice anti-bumpsteer kit installed with fully adjustable toe and camber on the rears.

DatsunKid 04-08-2010 04:33 PM

Pics or fail. And when are you boosting that bitch?

snwbrderphat540 04-08-2010 10:46 PM

pics? blah already got the wheels back on. haha, i can take pics of the old toe control arms. but for pics of the new ones, it'll have to wait for now. toe is finally fixed, need an alignment though. kinda bad.and boost is WAAAAAAAY down the line, this is my DD for now.

DatsunKid 04-09-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540 (Post 277976)
pics? blah already got the wheels back on. haha, i can take pics of the old toe control arms. but for pics of the new ones, it'll have to wait for now. toe is finally fixed, need an alignment though. kinda bad.and boost is WAAAAAAAY down the line, this is my DD for now.

Do a simple setup and run like only 8 psi. Huge power difference and you will still get good gas mileage.

snwbrderphat540 04-10-2010 11:32 PM

haha, dude, i know, the F20C is already cast iron sleeved, and i believe a more solid coolant passage unlike most hondas so no block guard needed, MLS HG stock, and forge internals stock balanced so perfectly. just ARP stud it up and rock out a 20psi tune for racing. It isn't the turbo idea itself or practicality of it even though its a high comp engine i know fully well what it is capable of, it is just that the proper turbo manifold and down pipe for these cars is almost 2k in itself, plus another grand on the turbo, 1700 for an AEM EMS, a grand on injectors, fuel pump, BOV and wastegate. and i can't even think off the top of my head right now what else i would want on there to do things right the first time around, we are talking about a 6k setup. i just don't have the money till i get a career haha. OH FMIC setup, lol, big one right there....

DatsunKid 04-11-2010 06:18 PM

Sell the Kawi lolz :D

snwbrderphat540 04-11-2010 08:55 PM

i am lol, that's how i am affording the s2k! i took a 5700 dollar loan out from the bank of myparents, and as soon as the kawi is gone, it goes straight to them. it freaking sucks, cause on my local craigslist is THE EXACT FREAKING TURBO SETUP I WANT with all the AEM goodies i want for 5k even... UGH!!!! lol. i could sell the bike for 5k this week and pick that thing up and boost all god damn day haha.

Bleach 04-11-2010 09:28 PM

or you could just drop in the L28et that is in your garage :)

snwbrderphat540 04-11-2010 09:30 PM

thats for the Z!

PurePontiacKid 04-14-2010 12:08 PM

put the F20C in the Z then?

snwbrderphat540 04-14-2010 10:41 PM

lol... totally!!!!