ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (Off Topic) (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/)
-   -   Close Calls (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic-219/close-calls-34321/)

PredatorZ 01-18-2012 06:47 PM

Close Calls

I'm starting this thread because I lost control of my car yesterday and it scared the crap out of me. I was just wondering if anyone else had any close calls to share.
I was on the way to work, I work night shift 6 pm to 6 am,it was about 5 pm and the roads were packed with people on the way home, as I approached the intersection in the left turn lane I sped up to make the light, going into the corner about 45 or so my front tires broke loose and I was sliding towards the curb / sidewalk, missing it by a foot maybe. I came to a compete stop sideways in the road. It felt like I hit oil or ice the way my front broke loose, but most likely it was just my tires, was hoping to get through the winter before replacing them, but now I don't trust them anymore. I would of had to kick my own ass if I had hurt my baby, thank goodness it was just a close call. Looking forward to your replys.
:eek:

NismoPick 01-19-2012 08:02 AM

Yup Yup... I've pulled some stupid freeway moves that left some black crayon zigzag marks on the pavement. :D I try not to do that anymore.

SportBikeMike 01-19-2012 08:20 AM

I had a "close call" with my 350Z a few years ago....I guess it was more than a close call.....hit a patch of ice, slid thru a ditch, sideswiped a redwood fence. The fence won.....$12K damage to the Z.:022:

PredatorZ 01-19-2012 05:10 PM

Black Ice

My 1st Z was a 77 280 na, I was in an albertsons parking lot late at might after a rain storm, it was a sheet of ice, so I wanted to mess around a bit, got it turned side ways and slid out of control for over 100 feet, the store had a big sign with a brick foundation base, I slid right up to it, I could barely slide my hand between the bricks and my door, I thought for sure I was gonna t-bone it hard. I'm on a lucky streak Id say !

the_journeyman 03-07-2012 08:26 AM

Not in a Z, but I had a close on my my Ducati Monster this summer. I was riding Blood Mtn GA, and a rather spirited pace. I took a corner that took about 99% of my lean, knee on the pavement and all of that. Then I see the pothole, no way able to dodge it at this speed & lean. I nail it hard, the front tire starts howling and is just grain of sand from letting go completely, the rear tire is spinning up & trying to come around, I managed to hold the line with the smidgen of traction from the front tire & using my legs & friction from my knee puck to keep the rear from coming around. I just KNEW I was going to lowside before I got the bike started back upright. I didn't, but it was very very close.

It left a nice black line where the rear was spinning & trying to come around. I also BROKE my knee puck in using it to keep the rear in line. My thighs/groin muscles ached from hanging on so hard.

JM

MurphyEF 03-07-2012 04:09 PM

The first day I had my Z I had a close call. Keep in mind, I had just traded a 1989 Civic 4 door for it. I was coming down a relatively steep hill by my house with my buddy in his truck behind me. I decided to show off a little and gun it around the 90 degree corner at the bottom of the hill. As luck would have it, there was some gravel on the road. This, combined with the torque that I wasn't used to let me break the back tires loose in a very, very easy fashion. I ended up facing him in his truck.

I was extremely pleased that his brakes had been professionally done two days before.

ThaPimpShrimp 03-07-2012 04:38 PM

Day to day I currently drive an older chevy s10 around. This happened back when I first got my license and just got the truck.

It was the first rain of the season, and I was headed to go pick up my date to homecoming dance (aww.. she's now my girlfriend of two years.. :042:). There is a left hand turn I have to take off of the highway. The turning lane is facing steeply downhill and I was going too fast into the corner. Of course at the time I the tires were also bald and I didn't realize how little traction a rear-wheel drive truck with no weight in the rear had. I overcorrected when I started sliding and barely avoided colliding with a stop sign at near 35mph. Luckily no one was with me but I sure learned my lesson that day!