The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Camcorder advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Camcorder advice

Zdriver Expert Opinions please.

I've never bought nor used a camcorder... ever... so which would u dudes or dudettes recommend?
I prefer new so it has a warranty, also prefer to keep it under $1,000... heh, maybe $500 but flexible up to 1k.

Don't hurt my head with too much details... want something that'll still be usable for years to come...!

Any recommendations or links?
I've been browsing this site:
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camcorders/
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Über User

well unless your gonna get a pro style cam thats use for 1k like nismo did an i want that will do great sound and video, then get a new sony SR series HD cam it will do great picture and good sound but doesnt have a profesional style lense nor a profesional microphone but has amazing image capabilities especially since its recorded in digital format on an HDD setup and in HD (high def) format. however HD will only be so use-full.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Be specific please... Pick a model... is the higher priced ones really better than some of the lower priced ones?

In ur opinions, which is the "best" of the $500 camcorders or the best of the ones over $500-$750-1,000?

The reviews confuse me 'cause higher priced ones can get lower ratings.

I'm thinking I should get DVD rather than MiniDV tape?
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...d_ratings.html

Panasonic HDC-SX5 gets A- at $490

Canon HR10 gets B+ at $800

Big difference in price!

Last edited by 280gty; 03-17-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Über User

boom this guy right here
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...1_reviews.html
i love sony for consumer style cam corders they are simply amazing and have the best features ever. im still considering getting this camcorder over the cannon XL-1 just because im getting less and less serious about real movie making and more into just something with good format and high memory and for how much i love sony. i used to have a handy cam back in 06 i think and it was amazing, did great recording had tons of features the carl ziess lense's are great and also, came with night vision and i think all higher end sony camcorders have come with night vision for a while now. and its a great feature. it not only does the night where it switches to a green/black format for just very low light situations, it actually has infra-red built in for pitch black recording ( great for sneaking a sex vid )
Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
That 'corder got a C rating at $1,149.99?

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...teSearch=false

Thanx, pricey... need to evaluate more options... before I'd go that high!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Über User

buy used. lol. if it lasted in someone elses hands this long its gonna keep going and make the warranty not worth it.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Über User

dude that site is bullshit. they gave a flip video an A- and claim it in the same category
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...b_reviews.html

i think you need to do your research else where as that site doesnt know WTF is going on.

also there is this, for the price, recording format and ratings and my own research this seems to be a good viable option as well

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...0_reviews.html

idk why that site is so biased towards sony being crap though. i loved mine to bits

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 03-17-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
dude that site is bullshit. they gave a flip video an A- and claim it in the same category
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/camc...b_reviews.html

i think you need to do your research else where as that site doesnt know WTF is going on.
I think that's A- compared with other flips?
Not sure but that would make more sense?

Well, That Sony sounds good, just would be my last option because of the price.
Anyway, List away... I'll checkup on any camcorders you guys list... and hopefully decide by the end of the week.

If more of u guys pick the same one, I'll probably order it.

Last edited by 280gty; 03-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Über User

i edited the post abouve that lists another camcorder option. the sony has the features no one can match, and no they compare the camcorders in groups of either brand, HD or SD, recording format. and the ****ing flip beat everything in the standard definition and the HDD recording format. so thats where i lost all respect for that site cause thats flippin rediculous. but cannon is a good company and though it doesnt have any where near the same features it does have the profesional ratings to back it up. and the price to kick some ***
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
The Good Twin

280gty... What are you going to record? How often? How good of quality picture and sound do you want? Are you willing to spend $1k for editing hardware / software?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Über User

LOL ^^^^

who buys editing software? i got 2 dvd's one with power iso for opening DAA files (which is what the follwing are compressed with) and adobe after effects (unfortunatly t seems to not be pro because it doesnt have image tracking) and the other has adobe premiere the finest editing software ive played with sofar a total of nearly 2k in software. only problem is after the 30 days is up of not registering you have to take it off and re-install and re-set your computer clock, OR you can register it by phone in a manner that they cant track (no internet connection required and bum a buddies phone) and vuwala its registered for life just save that numer tehy give you with the CD so you never have to call again. i know, i fawkin rock.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 PM
The Good Twin

I don't buy software either... I'm just sayin.

I've got Premiere 6 & Pro 2... I honestly don't dig Premiere anymore. It's cool for doing basic stuff & has a lot of options, but Final Cut Pro is where it's at.

Tho I've been using After Effects CS3... THAT ROCKS!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Über User

after effects CS3 does rock. we were making a movie and i gave my buddy the program and he did a good blood splatter with it for the trailer for it but he didnt add the muzzle flashes or to many gun sounds, and to much like nonsense clips. but its not CS2 pro so like i said it doesnt do image tracking so you cant apply a gun shot wound to a person with out going frame by frame with the image tracking it will automatically keep it in place as the person falls.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
The Good Twin

Dude... all the serial #'s & activation codes I use don't work for Pro 2. Wanna share yours?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Über User

dont work either. they work enough to say that its been used to many times and to call blah blah blah number to get it registered. i dont remember if after effects gives me the same BS or not. the people on the torents said they confirmed it over the phone with no problems but im just to laze to actually do it. plus im saving space on my laptop. lol. not much to spare until i get an external hard drive to put all my crap on.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
ok, boyzzz.....when you are all done arguing over wha tis the best and all that bs----please pm me what i need to put thew photoshop expwerience back into my lappy---i like gimp and all, but my machine tries to open everything in photoshop.....like it used to.......once upon a time.....
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by z-hag
ok, boyzzz.....when you are all done arguing over wha tis the best and all that bs----please pm me what i need to put thew photoshop expwerience back into my lappy---i like gimp and all, but my machine tries to open everything in photoshop.....like it used to.......once upon a time.....
Do you use torrent software? You can find tons of cool programs that way. Also... you don't want photoshop to open your media files? You can right click on a file & choose a diff program to open it. I use Windows Picture & Fax Viewer for pics because it loads right away (right click... properties... general... change program).
Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
280gty... What are you going to record? How often? How good of quality picture and sound do you want? Are you willing to spend $1k for editing hardware / software?
Just getting my feet wet... probably just recording daily events and downloading onto youtube, online.

I want something that'll be around for awhile since tech goes obsolete so quickly... if you guys can agree on a particular "cheaper" model and a "higher-end" one, I'd read up more about them and buy one.

Of course, I'd be biased towards the cheaper one but might be swayed towards the more expensive one if it seems like a really good long-term investment.

If it makes any difference, I use a MAC computer.

Last edited by 280gty; 03-18-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
The Good Twin

It's all up to you bro. There's about 4.2 trillion web site that talk about the "do's & don'ts" and the "what to look for" of video camera shopping. It's just like shopping for a car, a house, or anything else... just do some research.

The basics:

Digital zoom is crap. a 500x or 800x zoom sounds awesome... it looks like absolute shiz (grainy & hella shakey @ 800x). You'd never use 800x zoom anyway. Check out the optical zoom (most good cameras will have 10-20x optical zoom).

The processing chip is important too. 3CCD has been the quality standard for years now w/ CMOS coming in a close second. HD... not worth your $$$ unless you will be making long pro movie clips.

If you are using a Mac, you have firewire right? DV cameras use USB and/or Firewire to xfer video onto the comp. Make sure you have the ability to connect it to your comp.

Lastly, stick to the name brand cameras... JVC, Sony, Canon, etc.

This is the camera I was thinking about before I got my Canon XL1. It's a JVC Everio. You can find them for a score on ebay (and it's even HD).

Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Über User

i havent heard much good on JVC and panasonic though. cannon and sony is where its at even though that site seems to be sony haters. lol.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
The Good Twin

Good point... JVC makes a lot of crappy low end cameras. Their JY line is nice, but overpriced and under equipped for their competition. Panasonic is okay for stereos... not cameras.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
The Good Twin

Wrong thread Bozo de clownz.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Über User

THERE"S MY POST! and its been moved
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Seriously?

Newegg

Specifically this section:

Internal HDD Camcorders

This would be my choice:

Camcorder

I like Sony products but unless you have a everything Sony it might not be worth it. I only pick certain Sony products like headphones or car audio cd players...though many Sony camcorders offer a Carl Ziess lenses the complicated menus and Sony only compatibility issues that some of their products have to me isn't worth the hassle. I say read some reviews from the links I have posted and go from there. An internal Hard Disk Drive should be the first choice...saves money. In the end you have to make your own choice.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
The Good Twin

So 280gty... you get a camera?

Quick Reply: Camcorder advice