ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Australia (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/australia-21/)
-   -   Good Adelaide Body Shop? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/australia-21/good-adelaide-body-shop-2964/)

AlansZ 08-18-2002 01:49 AM

Good Adelaide Body Shop?

Hi guys, i posted this in the other forum, but i guess it is more at home here. Does anyone know a good body shop in Adelaide that can fix the rust in my frame rails? It's alot worse than I thought. I was poking my finger around in there, and About of handful of rust just poured out like dirt. Thanks guys, hey Ben, any new on the car club?

Alan, Australia

Ben 08-19-2002 12:25 AM

Re: Good Adelaide Body Shop?

Hey Alan,
Nah, not yet. It's really difficult - having the desire, but not the time...

I want to speak to Peter Hall about the possibility of a mass-joinup to the Nissan/Datsun Car Club. But there are a lot more potential opportunities for racing involvement (from official to competitor & all places in-between) if we join the Sporting Car Club (currently 1500 members). This is what the Adelaide 1600 Club is going to do. It's just too hard starting a small club & keeping the momentum going. They're the current options & we plan on conatacting all of the Z-Club members to get feedback.

Anyhow, I got my Zcar done by Quality Crash Repairs. They also re-sprayed my DR30 (which is now registered - yaay!). My Z project was a big deal (rotisserie, bare shell etc.), but you should go see them & get a quote - mention that I recommended you. They're located on O'Sullivans Beach Road @ Lonsdale & are open Sat. mornings. Just make sure you pay me a visit at the same time!

We also got new rails made up by a sheetmetal workshop (they're a very basic shape). We joined them onto the originals just after the firewall & extended them all the way to the back of the pan (a'la '75+ 260Z). We have the dimensions handy if you want a 'new' set of rails for next-to-nothing.

Ben
Adelaide
Sth Australia
IZCC#1902
240Z L31ETT
L28ET MR30 Skyline
FJ20DET DR30 Skyline RS-X

AlansZ 08-19-2002 02:46 AM

thanks, i think i'll go saturday before it gets too bad. I think i will have to get those dimensions off of you because it might come to that. Did the crash repairer do the frame rails for you? You'll have to give me your address. I think i'll get the rear spoiler taken off at the same time if it doesn't cost too much.

Alan, Australia

AlansZ 08-19-2002 02:47 AM

It will be good if the club does join the scca so we can compete in all the hill climbs etc

Alan, Australia

AlansZ 08-20-2002 03:32 AM

lonsdale is a long drive for me, I might go next saturday, and get another quote from a closer place as well. Thanks for the info

Alan, Australia

Ben 08-20-2002 04:55 AM

Don't be a sook,
It's only about 20 minutes from your place!

Ben
Adelaide
Sth Australia
IZCC#1902
240Z L31ETT
L28ET MR30 Skyline

AlansZ 08-21-2002 12:20 AM

okay, okay, not this saturday, next saturday, is that alright?

Alan, Australia

AlansZ 08-23-2002 04:35 AM

Yeah I think ben you need to get this club off the ground, I'm sure there will be enough interest

Alan, Australia

Ben 08-26-2002 03:50 AM

I know, I know, I'm working on it....

Can't help you with the plate tho Damian. My car was RZY427, my dad's RZE815.

Peter is racing a Z in historics, he runs the Lobethal Small Engine Service (mowers, saws, etc) but also runs Hall Racing Enterprises (Dattos). He will be entered in the Classic Adelaide this year (drove course closer last year). I'm up to his place tomorrow evening & will be discussing the re-forming of the Z Register (Happy Alan?).

In short - middle aged hoon [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ben
Adelaide
Sth Australia
IZCC#1902
240Z L31ETT
L28ET MR30 Skyline

AlansZ 08-26-2002 04:22 PM

bout time. ha ha just kidding. Today i'm taking the Zed to S.A chassis service to get a quote on the rust, and on staurday i'll take it to the place you reccomended to get a quote on the wing (i'll swing by if that's okay)

Alan, Australia

AlansZ 08-26-2002 07:03 PM

S.A chassis service are going to charge me $350 per side- that is taking off the old frame rail, removing all the rust, making a new frame rail out of galvanised zinc, putting that on, them coating with a bitumen spray. I think that sounds reasonable, what do you think?

Alan, Australia

rogersz 08-27-2002 03:10 AM

Price seem's fair , if you get the job done there let us know how it turns out, one of my rails has a dented/ crushed area that might need fixing , maybe a wheel alligner can tell if the chassis is out of whack. Good luck with yours.

Roger

AlansZ 09-06-2002 12:52 AM

the job looks pretty good, nice and solid. It looks new underneath with the tar, and the frame rails look pretty standard. I guess only time will tell if it is a godd job or not, but it looks okay. The car wouldn't start when I went to pick it up, the plugs were pretty fouled. Looks like it's time to tune, it's running very rich, costing me lots of petrol

Alan, Australia

AlansZ 09-14-2002 12:25 AM

Agghhh, I mised you today Ben, but I said hello to your dad. What are you planning on doing to that 240 on the rotary stand- big motor I hope. I also saw your dr30, looks very nice. I guess we'll have to meet another time. (he said you went to QCR about two minutes before I got to your place, so it looks like I just missed you, and you just missed me)

Alan, Australia

Ben 09-17-2002 07:28 AM

What a bastard eh?
If my damn mobile phone had a decent battery, I could've been contacted....

The 240Z on the stand is dads - an RB25DE & G-nose are in store for that one.
The DR is alllllmost done, bumpers are now on. Just need the skirts painted & she's ready for the Street Machine Show @ Mt Gambier on the long weekend.
Did you speak with Peter @ QCR re your car?

Ben
Adelaide
Sth Australia
IZCC#1902
240Z L31ETT
L28ET MR30 Skyline
FJ20ET DR30 Skyline RS-X

AlansZ 09-18-2002 02:21 AM

I'm not sure who I talked to, but he said it would be $1000 (scary), and that was just a stab in the dark. He said the best bet would be to remove it myself, patch up all the holes and then get them to paint it, and this is the route I think I might go. I might take it off this weekend. I got uni holidays all next two weeks, so I hope to do a fair bit of work to the car.

Alan, Australia