ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   Australia (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/australia-21/)
-   -   260z auto to manual conversion (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/australia-21/260z-auto-manual-conversion-4340/)

adamjoh 11-22-2002 10:20 PM

260z auto to manual conversion

hello
i was considering buying an auto 260z, because they are much, much cheaper than a manual 260z coupe, and i was wondering whats involved in changing from the auto gearbox, to the 5x manual one, how do i do it!!??
could you please send me any and all details, everything will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
thanks, adam!

Ben 11-23-2002 05:24 PM

Re: 260z auto to manual conversion

Hi Adam,
The 'S30' shells are the same for both types of transmission. This makes things relatively easy. You will need:

Clutch pedal (or maual pedal box)
Master cylinder
Flywheel
Clutch
Gearbox (any 'long' 5-speed will do, including Z, ZX, 200B, Bluebird).
(The above 4 items can probably all come from the same donor car)
You also need to remove the additional panel on floor adjacent shifter hole (a couple of spot-welds)
Gearbox insulator (mount)
Shifter boot.

The tailshaft & crossmember are the same for both setups. But make sure you use the correct speedo drive in the gearbox (swap them over from the auto to the manual).

That should get you started!

Ben
Adelaide
Sth Australia
IZCC#1902
240Z L31ETT
L28ET MR30 Skyline
FJ20ET DR30 Skyline RS-X

adamjoh 11-23-2002 06:22 PM

ok, thats got me started!!
and speaking of 280zx's, could i use all the parts off that, except the flywheel?
can the 280zx's 5speed gear bolt on to the 260z motor?
ie, take off the auto stuff, attach the 280zx parts, and it would all work?
also, is there any special mountings ill need? or does the auto have everything i need?
thanks again!!

zerath 11-24-2002 09:23 PM

The gearbox should fit, as my manual gear box busted and now a 280zx gearbox is on there. But I have a manual to begin with so I dont know if the mounts are any differant.

Reece,
Currently, Black 77 260z with a L28 EFI
Details at: www.thezgarage.com
Adelaide S.A.

whale 03-24-2003 08:04 PM

Auto to Manual Conversion

Let me get this straight.....

The 5 speed manual, clutch etc out of the old 81 bluebird dad (my brother found a tree stump) has out the back can be used as a parts car for my 82zx?

So the gearbox and clutch assembly can be used, what about other parts like the power steering (if it has it) as mine is almost shot?

Bluebird parts would be cheaper too as they are more common.
Is there a difference in the machinery? ie the bluebird was designed from the start to be powered by a 4 cyclinder where as the zx has the L28.

Cheers,

Pete
:D

Ben 03-24-2003 10:37 PM

That should be fine - if you are concerned about the clutch not being big enough, you could always just get a new heavy-duy unit (for the $250AUD it costs, you should get the clutch replaced & the flywheel surfaced anyway).

I don't think that the Aussie 910's had power-steering fitted (only the top-spec LX Turbo's in Japan did).

Also, the PS hydraulic pressure could be completely different. I'd be checking an SDS before swapping over components like that.