ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   350Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/350z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-117/)
-   -   Tire Problems? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/350z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-117/tire-problems-8633/)

pete dexter 03-02-2004 09:55 AM

Tire Problems?

Well, after two sets of tires and several rotations in 14,000 miles, I'm finally ready to pursue legal action. I love my Z, but enough is enough. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I came across this site today: www.nissantireproblems.com Anyone know anything about it or had any luck using it? Can anyone point me to any other sites that might offer legal help? I've had enough!

emo236 03-02-2004 09:57 AM

The 350z has a problem with camber which in turn causes the tires to wear quickly. It's the camber that's doing it most likely.

91zxtt 03-02-2004 11:50 AM

Take it to the dealer. As mentioned by EMO, there is an issue with the camber on the 350z. The dealer should take care of it for you.

emo236 03-02-2004 02:29 PM

And if they don't, threaten to take legal action and then call up Nissan headquarters.

rosscoe 03-02-2004 03:47 PM

I had the same problem with tire wear and noise { a grwol when brakeing from 30 to 5 mph} .I did the rotate or tire flip once then told them that this was no good ,the tires were not going to wear back smooth once they are cupped. Called nissan corp once and had new tires the next week. I also realigned the car with a more traditional spec .cambers not so negative as set from factory and a positive toe set. good luck

rosscoe 03-02-2004 04:04 PM

Nissan Corp # 1-800-647-7261

pete dexter 03-04-2004 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by rosscoe
Nissan Corp # 1-800-647-7261

Thanks for the help. I'll give it one more shot.

rosscoe 03-05-2004 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by pete dexter
Thanks for the help. I'll give it one more shot.

Have you tryed realigning the car. The new factory toe set is .04 inches of total toe, I have tryed .10 toe to see what happens it made the sterring a little harder and not as tight feeling so im going back to the prev setting. The rear is fully adjustable too ,I'm going to play with that too let you know what happens

rosscoe 03-05-2004 06:39 PM

Got Pics ITS WORKING TODAY

91zxtt 03-08-2004 08:34 AM

By increasing the amount of toe you will reduce the life of the tires.

emo236 03-08-2004 10:49 AM

it will wear on the insides of your tires moreso. But, hey Roscoe, nice Z, it really makes lemans sunset look nice.

emo236 03-08-2004 10:50 AM

And whadya mean it's working?! not for me! bummer.

rosscoe 03-08-2004 06:53 PM

Toe will wear the tires,if it is too great,but my first set of tires were shot at 10k. The factory toe set along with the negitive camber ate the inside edges off the tires. Thats the problem with the Z33, The factory went to a positive setting of .04,I tryed .15 but it was too much so I went back to .04 this still is not enough toe to drag the tires . but does effect the sterring and handleing

91zxtt 03-09-2004 10:31 AM

Your 1st set of tires were shot after 10k because of the original toe and camber specs from the factory were incorrect. Too much negative camber will cause excessive wear on the inside edge of the tire. Excessive toe (in or out) will amplify this problem. The new setting of +.04, is that camber or toe? Either way, a positive setting just seems wrong. Generally, you will see factory specs with slightly negative camber and slight toe-in. Going to + .15 is excessive if the factory spec is .04. Where did you get that figure and why do you think it's a better setting? You say it's not enough to drag the tires, how do you know? It may not be dragging the tires, but it will cause them to wear faster than a .04 setting. You should go with what the corrected factory specs are. Unless you're on the track, it would be difficult to determine how much the handling has changed. You probably won't notice a difference betweem .04 and .15 unless you're a professional driver. What will notice is a dent in your bank account because you're going through tires faster than a Nextel Cup team. Here's a good rule for you...the greater the toe (in or out), the faster the tires will wear. If the toe is too great, then you'll notice "feathering" of the tires.

Little G 03-09-2004 12:46 PM

Speaking of Camber....

Hey Guys. I'm a newb to the site and was wondering if you could clarify some questions for me.

I just put some 19" Volk LE37 Rims with Toyo T1-S Proxies on my Z. To go along with the the tires and rims are Tein Coilovers. Just by looking at it, I know I'm going to have to purchase a camber kit and probably adjust the toe alignment. I'll probably have to do it very soon or the tires will be gone real fast.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a camber kit. I was looking at the Stillen one but don't know of any others. Also, I have no idea where to start when it comes to camber and toe alignment settings. Any information or help you can provide would be great.

Thanks

emo236 03-09-2004 02:14 PM

Noltec makes a great camber kit for the right price. The new design has strong, heavy duty welds. Don't buy the old kit though, get the new one. Sounds like you have a very nice setup by the way. And, I agree with 91, a negative camber is beneficial on the track and a camber setting of 0 is beneficial for the drag strip.

rosscoe 03-09-2004 05:08 PM

The toe set is .15, factory camber is -.07 degrees . I think originally nissan set the toe negitive,so with neg toe and neg camber the tires wore the in side edge.the new setting of .o4 inches isnt too far from .15 but you coiuld notice the difference in the way the car steered and felt, so I reset to .04. I work as a tech,have a rack to do the work myself 10 miniute job. : :cool:

91zxtt 03-10-2004 07:11 AM

The stuff Stillen sells is not of the highest quality and is generally more expensive than your alternatives. Check out www.sgpracing.com and www.z1motorsports.com. Good stuff at good prices.

So Roscoe, what your saying is that the new 350 specs are set at .04 degrees of toe-out. Isn't it typical to have slight toe-in? I know that slight toe-in in the rear end will help alleviate a loose condition.

rosscoe 03-10-2004 04:19 PM

The toe spec is positive .04, or toe in ,I thiink originally it had a 0 or slightly negitive front toe. The factory set for the rear is 1.7 degrees negitive camber and .15 inches of toe per side. This will give it that nice tight felling in cornering The original problem was the front of front the tires poitnng out and the top of the tires laying in towards the car ,making the car ride heavily on the inside edge, great for cornering but not tire life.

91zxtt 03-11-2004 09:42 AM

That makes sense. I thought you were saying the new front settings were for toe-out; which would cause abnormal/excessive wear when combined with negative camber. What rocket scientist at Nissan set it up that way. He's probably the janitor now.

04350Z 03-19-2004 09:06 AM

Problem on 04 too?

Just took delivery of my new Z (04 touring package silver). I was wondering if anyone knows if the camber/ suspension problem has been corrected in the 04 cars?

maron10 03-30-2004 01:41 PM

Tires issue

Guys -

I have an 03 superblack track and did not have the tire issues. I did two track session within the past couple of months and got 10K out of the tires before I replace my track rims with a new set that came with again the OEM tires. I replaced my rims because I bought a new set off of someone on ebay with tires that had 4k on them and included the TPS. I paid $1400 for 4 as good as new wheels and factory tires. I did notice teh tire rumbling noise that you're talking about but hey this is a high performance sport car and I typically change tires on my sport cars at about 9k just to make me feel confortable.

maron10 03-30-2004 01:47 PM

Tires issue part 2

and as I first time owner of a Z, I'm still having such a blast with the car despite the little minor issues. The car is just famtastic on and off the track.

Rico002 06-15-2004 06:48 AM

Tire and camber recall

Originally Posted by pete dexter
Well, after two sets of tires and several rotations in 14,000 miles, I'm finally ready to pursue legal action. I love my Z, but enough is enough. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I came across this site today: www.nissantireproblems.com Anyone know anything about it or had any luck using it? Can anyone point me to any other sites that might offer legal help? I've had enough!

There is a recall now for the tire growl you are talking about. I received and took in. Was told camber was set at .3 and needed to be .1. Factory specs where wrong. They reset camber, realighned front end and replaced tires. It was very noisy before and excessive wear to front tires on the inside. Seems to have done the trick because no tire growl now and drives great. Good luck with yours. Rico

michael_pro 05-07-2005 11:25 AM

Pete, Sounds like we share the same feelings. Nissantireproblems.com is a go !