ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   350Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/350z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-117/)
-   -   Tire noise 350 z (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/350z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-117/tire-noise-350-z-7766/)

rosscoe 12-01-2003 06:49 PM

Tire noise 350 z

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with tires yet.I have 10k on my 350,and have a tire cupping problem on the front tires. The dealer has a tsb on noise for this car,they say realign and flip front tires over. they must have set the front end up wrong a factory as they have new specs now. I will atempt the repairs this week and see what happens. Any feed back from Zpeople would be great.

Riz Z Speed 12-02-2003 11:14 AM

Thanks for the info.
That's the first I've heard of it but it's possible. Misalignment or off camber could quite easily come from the factory or from the loading/unloading of the car. At least you found the problem and were able to address it.:)

IZwutumean 01-16-2004 12:41 AM

This can be fixed

Yes. There is a TSB out on this. The "tire feathering" issue has been addressed, and if you have less than 12,000 miles, the dealer must replace your front tires.

Bleach 01-16-2004 10:46 AM

This issue is huge with the 350Z owners. Lots of them are mad. I guess at first Nissan was denying the problem existed and would not do anything to fix it. At least they have new alignment specs. I hope they work for you guys.

drknlvly 02-02-2005 07:12 AM

TSB Location

Originally Posted by IZwutumean
Yes. There is a TSB out on this. The "tire feathering" issue has been addressed, and if you have less than 12,000 miles, the dealer must replace your front tires.

Where is this 'feathering' TSB located?

jlrico 03-09-2005 08:19 AM

I have a 2004 350Z Roadster touring and I have 19K miles and just noticed the tire wear, I took it to the dealer and he told me there was an issue with the 2003 not the 2004 they changed the front end on the 2004. I was upset when he told me an alignment would not fix the problem, said the only thing I could do is to wait for the tires to wear out then buy 4 same size tires and rotate them.

I was not happy with his fix so I emailed nissan usa and they told me they were unable to help because there is no known issue with the front tires on the 2004 350Z. If you are having this problem please let nissan know, they need to fix this problem..

lunartick 03-09-2005 10:46 AM

Hi, I`am new on this forum, my Z has about 7000 miles and I noticed the tire or road noise is quite loud, no signs of tire feathering yet I `am hoping is the tires that came with the car which are Potenzas,see what happens.
:p

frankmusic 03-13-2005 07:17 PM

There's NO real solution yet!

Although many current buyers have decided to purchase a 350Z with the previous knowledge of the reported tire feathering issues, .....as time has passed, that list of the negatively affected owners still continues to grow. For Nissan, this very costly dilemma may eventually become the commonly accepted fact of ownership. Any Nissan executive should cringe at the very thought of that being whispered by the faithful. That type of officially acknowledged condition is NEVER a good thing for a major car company that is currently experiencing a recent successful repositioning in the market place. :o

We can agree when most new cars are introduced to the public, we find that few arrive without its list of minor design corrections. As they arrive in the driveways of John Q. Public to go through the rigorous every day testing, minor issues typically emerge.

As we have come to learn, it has been through some significant pressure from hundreds of unsatisfied irate 2003 350Z customers, that Nissan ultimately introduced a TSB (NTB03-006b -Tire Road Noise When Braking) allegedly designed to address this unusual problem. Unfortunately we also now know, that the original factory recommended method of swapping the left and right tires, was only designed to buy some time. It was not “the” fix. Many owners have reported a substantial amount of resistance by local dealership service or even the proper maintenance required by the factory to (temporarily) remedy the problem.

Nissan’s second attempt involved sending select owners documentation that recognizes a ‘potential problem’, but will only recognize the said tire feathering claims on a case by case submittal – all claims being processed within a window of the stated 2 years/24,000 miles, blah-blah, etc. Even this particular company sanctioned attempt, specifically addresses a tire replacement - ONLY. This again, is NOT really the fix. :eek:

So what IS the real fix for this problem? :confused:

As each year rolls by and yet another 350Z car year enters our roadway, what has Nissan done to eliminate this feathering issue? The pre-‘03s certainly had them. The later ‘03s were acknowledged for that lingering issue. The ‘04s (as miles the accumulate) are shouting the same woes. The ‘05s may possibly endure the same predicament. Why is this concern continuing to plague a car that is obviously loved by many?
If a “proper” front-end alignment hasn’t conclusively solved the problem for ALL owners, then what will? Could the problem be resolved forever by properly swapping out portions of the front-end suspension for adequately designed adjustable replacements? Would Nissan ever recommend this procedure? The likelihood of that costly fix occurring for the faithful diminishes with the many thousands of brand new 350Zs that drive out of the show room. (So, don’t hold your breath!) :rolleyes:

Clearly Nissan has been able to thwart a majority of criticisms by virtue of touting their number of unaffected 350Z owners as well as the feathering problem NOT being categorized as a genuine safety issue. This already two year old known (tire feathering) fact, is slowly becoming inclusive in their very fine Z heritage. For Nissan, this tire quandary may eventually become a widely accepted fact through various credible auto publications. Inevitably, many future 350Z sales will indeed become impacted as a consequence of this costly annoyance. Not doing the right thing for their present new/old customers, may wind up being a faux pas that will be hard to erase. I don’t believe Nissan can remain on this blatant denial path very much longer.

Hey Nissan, the competition is brutal out there. So fix that tire feathering problem, PRONTO! :mad:

michael_pro 05-07-2005 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by rosscoe
Just wanted to see if anyone has had a problem with tires yet.I have 10k on my 350,and have a tire cupping problem on the front tires. The dealer has a tsb on noise for this car,they say realign and flip front tires over. they must have set the front end up wrong a factory as they have new specs now. I will atempt the repairs this week and see what happens. Any feed back from Zpeople would be great.

Your problems have just begun. With six sets replaced and multiple alignments nothing has helped. Check out the class action suit against nissan @ www.nissantireproblems.com This is a common problem with 2003 and 2004 Z's to which the factory and dealershp will give you the run around until your warranty expires and then i'ts so long we never knew you. I have fought the battle for almost two years and have joined the suit against Nissan.
Good Luck !

michael_pro 05-07-2005 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by frankmusic
Although many current buyers have decided to purchase a 350Z with the previous knowledge of the reported tire feathering issues, .....as time has passed, that list of the negatively affected owners still continues to grow. For Nissan, this very costly dilemma may eventually become the commonly accepted fact of ownership. Any Nissan executive should cringe at the very thought of that being whispered by the faithful. That type of officially acknowledged condition is NEVER a good thing for a major car company that is currently experiencing a recent successful repositioning in the market place. :o

We can agree when most new cars are introduced to the public, we find that few arrive without its list of minor design corrections. As they arrive in the driveways of John Q. Public to go through the rigorous every day testing, minor issues typically emerge.

As we have come to learn, it has been through some significant pressure from hundreds of unsatisfied irate 2003 350Z customers, that Nissan ultimately introduced a TSB (NTB03-006b -Tire Road Noise When Braking) allegedly designed to address this unusual problem. Unfortunately we also now know, that the original factory recommended method of swapping the left and right tires, was only designed to buy some time. It was not “the” fix. Many owners have reported a substantial amount of resistance by local dealership service or even the proper maintenance required by the factory to (temporarily) remedy the problem.

Nissan’s second attempt involved sending select owners documentation that recognizes a ‘potential problem’, but will only recognize the said tire feathering claims on a case by case submittal – all claims being processed within a window of the stated 2 years/24,000 miles, blah-blah, etc. Even this particular company sanctioned attempt, specifically addresses a tire replacement - ONLY. This again, is NOT really the fix. :eek:

So what IS the real fix for this problem? :confused:

As each year rolls by and yet another 350Z car year enters our roadway, what has Nissan done to eliminate this feathering issue? The pre-‘03s certainly had them. The later ‘03s were acknowledged for that lingering issue. The ‘04s (as miles the accumulate) are shouting the same woes. The ‘05s may possibly endure the same predicament. Why is this concern continuing to plague a car that is obviously loved by many?
If a “proper” front-end alignment hasn’t conclusively solved the problem for ALL owners, then what will? Could the problem be resolved forever by properly swapping out portions of the front-end suspension for adequately designed adjustable replacements? Would Nissan ever recommend this procedure? The likelihood of that costly fix occurring for the faithful diminishes with the many thousands of brand new 350Zs that drive out of the show room. (So, don’t hold your breath!) :rolleyes:

Clearly Nissan has been able to thwart a majority of criticisms by virtue of touting their number of unaffected 350Z owners as well as the feathering problem NOT being categorized as a genuine safety issue. This already two year old known (tire feathering) fact, is slowly becoming inclusive in their very fine Z heritage. For Nissan, this tire quandary may eventually become a widely accepted fact through various credible auto publications. Inevitably, many future 350Z sales will indeed become impacted as a consequence of this costly annoyance. Not doing the right thing for their present new/old customers, may wind up being a faux pas that will be hard to erase. I don’t believe Nissan can remain on this blatant denial path very much longer.

Hey Nissan, the competition is brutal out there. So fix that tire feathering problem, PRONTO! :mad:

I applaud you !! You are right on.

michael_pro 05-07-2005 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by IZwutumean

Beg to differ. Can not be fixed ! I've been trying for two years :mad:

frankmusic 05-14-2005 12:31 PM

As Seen On Tv!

Originally Posted by michael_pro
I applaud you !! You are right on.

Thanks much!

Check out this CBS report featuring the ongoing tire feathering issue. :eek:

http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...Category_ID=48

350Z-FL 06-08-2005 02:11 PM

Tire Problem, Exists on 04 models too

I have a 04 Roadster and have experienced this problem. When taken to the dealer for the noise problem. I was told by the dealer that it needed to be taken to a body shop and the frame needed to be bent to correct the Alignment. This was in Sept of 04. The TSB was issued on April 12, 2004. No wander why people are upset with the dealers.

The Front end was aligned and the front tires were replaced with 11,000 miles. The car has 16,500 miles now and the roar is back. Now at a different dealership. They stated that it does need a 4 wheel alignment and that the TSB ONLY applies to 03 models. So, the alignement is $70.00 of course.

I'll take the issue up with NISSAN and see what happens. To date... NISSAN has covered nothing. not the replacement tires... alignment because this is an 04 Model.

No wander why customers are upset with NISSIN.

TW

ayperric 06-27-2005 08:02 PM

Ditto for me, I own a 2003 Brickyard and my wife owns a 2004 Roadster, both cars have the tire/wheel alignment issue. Nissan replaced my tires, but refuse to do anything about my wife's tire problem. I had the alignment done at my expense on her car, and bought new tires at 16K miles. I joined the class action suit and suggest anyone with the problem to do so. :mad:

350Z-FL 07-01-2005 07:27 AM

I also have this problem with my 350 Roadster. Orgional tires replaced at 11k and alignment at my expense. Re-alignment again at 17k. Nissan says it doesn't exist on the 04 models.... NOT SO.