ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   Z problem (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/z-problem-12984/)

ZNewbie 05-12-2005 01:52 PM

Z problem

I recently had a new engine put in. I have an NA and had an engine with lower miles put in. After starting it up, my engine sounded like the gas pedal was being stepped on, and when looking at the speedometer it read, 2000 rpm. Also when I tried giving it some gas, the pedal was really stiff. Then I tried checking in the engine. I removed the throttle cover and tried reving it from there, but it was stiff too. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it? :(

Fast240Z 05-12-2005 02:22 PM

I'm not too familiar with the Z32's, but do you have a manual idle adjustment? If so, try loosening that until it idles where you would like it to. This might make the pedal less stiff since the throttle cable will be loosened. A common problem with stiff throttle is the throttle spring that causes the throttle to back off when the pedal is released. The springs can sometimes become old and rusted, causing them to become stiff, or they might have just been stiff in the first place. Try getting another one from a wrecking yard and replace yours.

ZNewbie 05-12-2005 03:48 PM

After taking my Z for another drive, the stiffness is gone, feels likes its back to nromal, but the rpm is still at 2000 when idling...

bardabe 05-12-2005 06:23 PM

check for any possible Vacum leaks. if it all checks out fine then fondle teh Idle screw.

91zxtt 05-15-2005 05:02 PM

No, don't touch the idle screw. 99.9% sure that's not it.

Sounds like the throttle cable was binding up. That may be why the idle isn't dropping. Or, maybe the throttle cable is out of adjustment.

nismo613 05-15-2005 05:53 PM

It might be the AIC valve. They tend to get sticky and the engine tends to rev higher. Try cleaning it to unstick it, that might help. You could fool around with the idle screw. My engine had a very high idle as well, so i just replaced the AIC valve, and fooled with the idle until i got it where i wanted it. Now it idles perfectly.

91zxtt 05-15-2005 05:59 PM

By adjusting the idle screw you're likely masking another problem.

nismo613 05-15-2005 06:02 PM

Thats why I said to clean out the AIC first.

tt dan 05-19-2005 12:24 PM

hey eveyrone, long time, no talk....

it sounds like when they put the new motor in, the routed the throttle line the wrong way like 91 said.... its probbaly kinked somwhere, and pulling on the line a little....dont adjust the tps, b/c its likely that you will be masking up something else like 91 also said... anyway, good luck w/ it man.... 91, i saw the pics of your engine bay, it looks good dude... anything else big planned for the future??? i miss my z so much :( im buyin another one next year tho :D talk to u guys later.... oh yea.... i have a 2000 S4 now :) its pretty fun, but its still not a TT Z32

91zxtt 05-19-2005 04:08 PM

I'm not planning anything else big for a while. Knock on wood. :D