300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

upper and lower Stillen intake plenums

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

upper and lower Stillen intake plenums

Well, my friend with TT is getting them and wants me to install them for him.
The upper i'm not worried about, i did that when we did his injectors.

The lower plenum on the other hand has me worried. How much more difficult you guys think that will be?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:35 PM
confuzed member

It shouldn't be too hard. There's not so much crap attached to it like the upper plenum. Just make sure you get the gasket on there right and torque it per FSM specs.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Z Extreme Guy

lower is just as easy emo is wirght make srue you use the tourq setings and new gaskets
Old 10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Jack Of All Trades

You might have your friend consider changing the det sensor while in there.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
lower is just as easy emo is wirght make srue you use the tourq setings and new gaskets

No, it's not. No way, no how. I know from experience. The EGR valve is a bitch, but if you lower the cross member, then it would be easier. The upper idler pulley for the timing belt is bolted to the lower plenum. You basically have to do a timing belt job to get this off. I know I talked about this in my mod update thread. The intake manifold to head gaskets for this are fairly expensive. $70+ each, if I remember correctly. It is not a fun or easy job at all.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

great, exactly what i didn't want to hear....

Is EGR accesible with upper plenum removed?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 PM

That depends.....do you have really small hands? How many wrists do you have on you left arm? You need a minimum of 3 to attempt this. I'm actually only partially joking. 3 wrists would've really helped. Seriously dude,...I don't know if I would do this for my brother (assuming I had one) let alone a friend. It'd have to be a really good friend with a really hot sister; who is willing to show you grateful she is for helping her brother.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

no he has an older brother that really isn't my type, him being male and all.

I guess i'll do what i can when i get to it, maybe if i removed the hood....

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 10-31-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
You might have your friend consider changing the det sensor while in there.
I agree. CC has wisdom beyond his years i dont think the EGR would give you that much trouble. if you were to remove the tranny, the ruber intercooler hoses, radiator hoses(you will have to re-time the engine) you can tilt the engine forward. if you were to drop the front subframe you would have to drop the exhaust, drivshaft, and the 5 spd stick shifter anyways...the tranny can be a biaatch but when you have practice like me you learn some tricks IMO my meathod is the eaasier of the two but if you want to avoid pulling the tranny...using the other meathod should work for ya no problem. after a few six packs you'll be done Best of luck whichever path you choose (^^)/
Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 AM

i suggest before you/he starts this small hurdle...to replace many other things. it would be perfect time to replace such things as the water pump, thermostat, (oil pump if you feel that motivated) head gaskets would only be 18 bolts away...but it depend how deep you/he wants to go and how deep the pockets are.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:48 AM

http://www.amzperformance.com/z32/?p...71713f8f0f84d& I wish AMZ had this package 8 months ago IMO this is the best value re-build kit you can find.

i forgot to say...something to think about

Last edited by Mousier158; 10-24-2005 at 02:49 AM. Reason: i forgot something
Old 10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Well, it's monday.
i'm done with being sore and tired.
We elected to only install the upper intake plenum. We didn't feel like talking half the car apart for the lower plenum. If the lower plenum didn't have the upper timing pulley, probably woulda done it. I really didn't wanna mess with the timing. He just wants to have a shop do it and i'm not gonna argue.
I think the sad part is that he took it to a dyno the following day and the car with a JWT ecu, 555injectors, intake, exhaust, and an extrude honed plenum got him less than 300 rwhp.
Needless to say I am really confused. He's about to cry from disappointment. It's real weird.
At first we had some coolant leaks, cuz guy that was helping forgot to attach the coolant line to the throttle body and the vacuum line behind there. Then we forgot a clamp on a coolant line behind the plenum. After those little bugs were fixed, the car pulls strong just couldn't idle well. Switched ECU's with another JWT ecu that owner had and car idled fine. He took it to the dyno. Didn't like the numbers, so he decided for some odd reason to swap out the stock plugs with bosch +4's. Dyno said he lost 50HP! So he bought a safc cuz dyno guy said he's running rich. I'm telling him he needs to put stock plugs back in and if he really wants he can go order the colder stock plugs.
Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 PM

How much boost is he running?

Yes, he should definitely go with the colder plugs.

BTW....Mousier....there's a difference between what you think and what I know. I've done this job. Yes, the EGR is that big of a pain.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
BTW....Mousier....there's a difference between what you think and what I know. I've done this job. Yes, the EGR is that big of a pain.
You think i havent...check my post with the link to my car page buddy.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 10-30-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

How much boost is he running?
The funny thing there is he has no boost controller so it should be stock.
I'm thinking he might be throwing some kind of code and running in safetly boost.
Unfortunately i haven't been able to check this since i haven't seen or heard from him for the past week.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:11 PM
confuzed member

He's doing all these mods and he hasn't even gone stage 3 yet??? He could also be using boost jets.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mousier158
You think i havent...check my post with the link to my car page buddy.

Yep,....saw your post....you have the engine out of the car; which makes the EGR replacement a snap.....any retard can do it. I'm talking about doing it with the engine in the car; which is considerably more difficult. If you think otherwise then you should take another look at it. If you still think it can be done, then apparently you need to look at it again. You will not be able to remove the EGR valve without either dropping the cross member and/or removing the tranny; unless you are the only person on the planet who is lucky enough to not have the EGR feed pipe virtually fuse to the EGR valve itself, not to mention the fact that the heater core inlet and outlet pipes get in the way.

Rizz....with you buddy running stock boost, he really won't see much gain out of the JWT ecu. He needs to install at least the boost jets. With added boost comes added HP's.

Last edited by 91zxtt; 10-31-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

He stopped by today but of course he choose the absolute wrong time to do so.
My car died in the middle of an intersection.
Very annoying, apparently it was just a bad battery. All it needed was a jump to get it home (was a block away) but there happened to be a cop nearby who wouldn't let a good samaritan give me a jump so i could be on my way. Made me tow it. I think the cops get a kickback or something from that cuz it was $130 bucks to go less than a mile!!!
ugh, wtf!?!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:04 AM
confuzed member

a lot of two companies do have deals with cops. I'm learning to hate cops more and more! That's a whole other off topic story, maybe I'll start a thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 AM

Yep,....saw your post....you have the engine out of the car; which makes the EGR replacement a snap.....any retard can do it. I'm talking about doing it with the engine in the car; which is considerably more difficult. If you think otherwise then you should take another look at it. If you still think it can be done, then apparently you need to look at it again. You will not be able to remove the EGR valve without either dropping the cross member and/or removing the tranny; unless you are the only person on the planet who is lucky enough to not have the EGR feed pipe virtually fuse to the EGR valve itself, not to mention the fact that the heater core inlet and outlet pipes get in the way.

Rizz....with you buddy running stock boost, he really won't see much gain out of the JWT ecu. He needs to install at least the boost jets. With added boost comes added HP's.
sorry guys i just wanted to clear my name...91 look further down at this thread, post #9 then come talk to me.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 PM

Um,...no.

When you say "I don't think the EGR would give you that much trouble.", does that mean that you haven't done this job and are guessing.

Here's the thing....the motor mounts on these cars are so stiff that you can't lean the engine forward. Or, if youc an, not nearly enough to gain access to the EGR.

You got any other bright ideas there sparky?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Um,...no.

When you say "I don't think the EGR would give you that much trouble.", does that mean that you haven't done this job and are guessing.

Here's the thing....the motor mounts on these cars are so stiff that you can't lean the engine forward. Or, if youc an, not nearly enough to gain access to the EGR.

You got any other bright ideas there sparky?
if you have never tried my method dont talk ****. instead give him ideas...thats part of the brainstorming process. then he can try a method which he thinks will work the best for him...i am giving him ideas. has it worked for me...yes. has it worked for you...no. enough said.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 11-19-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

ok ok
thanks for the ideas n stuff.
We didn't put it on anyways.
I really didn't want to mess with the timing and all the other problems he had with the car that was the least of my worries.
in the end he still hasn't installed it so i dunno what he's gonna do with it.
He bought a SAFC and had a local shop with a dyno tune it for him and he's making power again. The culprit turned out to be the New JWT ECU that was supposed to be tuned for the newer, larger injectors. It ended up costing him like 100hp when switching out the new one with the old one.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mousier158
if you have never tried my method dont talk ****. instead give him ideas...thats part of the brainstorming process. then he can try a method which he thinks will work the best for him...i am giving him ideas. has it worked for me...yes. has it worked for you...no. enough said.

Actually, I did try your way. It wasn't even close. I'm not talking sh*t. I'm just talking about my experiences.