ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   timing belt squealing (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/timing-belt-squealing-11241/)

gamemannn 01-01-2005 12:04 PM

timing belt squealing

when it's cold or even just a little cool outside my engine makes a squealing sound that everybody says is my timing belt. it gets pretty loud and embarrasing. the sound goes away after i drive it for a few minutes, but lately i've notice that if i sit at light for a while, the sound comes back when i hit the gas. if i put the car in park and rev the engine a little while waitng for the light, the sound doesn't come back. i think also if i let the engine warm up for a few minutes before driving, it helps stop the sound; i'm not sure about this though. any help???? is this my tiing belt? is this a serious problem?? is there something i can spray on to help fix this, like a lubricant or a cleanser??

b300z 01-01-2005 12:53 PM

whatever you do...dont spray WD-40 on the belts... :roflmao:

thats normal, tho

just let your car warm up a bit before you drive

lightspeed 01-01-2005 02:44 PM

Sounds like you need to adjust your alternator a bit, that's all. Mine started that when it got cold, just not as bad as you are reporting.

Let's just HOPE it's not a timing belt that is squeeling...that wouldn't be pretty. ;)

bardabe 01-01-2005 03:09 PM

Dude Pull up your sleeves and tension your betls. I had the exact same problem... and yes I did spray WD-40 :doh: [why you guy's clowning on me] anywho just tighten them. if it dosent go away time to replace your belts. i replaced mine like in 30 minutes and if even runds better. :thumbsup:

91zxtt 01-01-2005 08:48 PM

Can you please slap the person that said it was a timing belt. It's not. The timing belt rides over 5 sprockets that all have teeth on them, so it's impossible to slip and cause it to squeal there. There are two pulleys that the back side of the belt rides on that would be virtually impossible to make squeal. It's your accessory belts. They've probably stretched a little and that's what is squealing. Like Bardabe said, tighten them and it should go away.

bardabe 01-01-2005 10:38 PM

could not have said it better my self. timing belts don't squeak

gamemannn 01-01-2005 11:16 PM

yeah i talked to my godfather, an idepedent mechanic, and he said it's my fan belt more than likely. how hard is it to tighten the belts in a 300z? do i need to take out the radiator to reach all the belts?

bardabe 01-02-2005 12:58 AM

yeah I took it out I had teh radiatoradn fan outi was able to do it very confortable, fast and easy. :D

lightspeed 01-02-2005 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Can you please slap the person that said it was a timing belt. It's not.

Kinda the point I was trying to make. You, 91zxtt, did it much more eloquently. ;)

gamemannn 01-02-2005 08:35 PM

exactly what is the procedure for tightening a belt? take the belt off or just tighten a bolt? details please?

91zxtt 01-02-2005 09:07 PM

The easiest way is to do it from under the car. Remove the belly pan. There is one on the top/front side of the alternate. By loosening it, it will allow the alternator to pivot. There's another bolt that holds the belt adjustment in place. It's located on the underside/front of the alternator. Loosen it. Next you find the adjustment bolt. It will be attached to the opposite side of the bolt you just loosened on the adjustment bracket. Put a few turns into it and you should be fine. Make sure you tighten all of the bolts you loosened.

Riz Z Speed 01-03-2005 06:26 PM

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5645

old subject, same solution.

gamemannn 01-04-2005 09:54 AM

i took my car to firestone to get the belt tightened. they said it was fine and didn't need tightening and just put a little belt dressing on it. but guess what, it still squeals. so should i go back and tell that it does need to be tightened or should i find a jack and the right tools to do it myself???

b300z 01-04-2005 10:12 AM

its a diy project so that you know its done...right

91zxtt 01-04-2005 08:15 PM

I put belt dressing on my belts once and they squealed worse. You could have some oily residue on the belts which could cause it to squeal. I've had luck before with spraying simple green onto the belts. It could dry them out a bit, but it made mine stop squealing. You can tighten the belt a little too.

CanyonCarver 01-04-2005 08:31 PM

I've had luck before with spraying simple green onto the belts.

I use brake parts cleaner. It gives a good douche and leaves no residue.

91zxtt 01-04-2005 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
It gives a good douche and leaves no residue.

We are still talking about car parts, right? :p

gamemannn 01-05-2005 10:18 AM

I put belt dressing on my belts once and they squealed worse. You could have some oily residue on the belts which could cause it to squeal. I've had luck before with spraying simple green onto the belts. It could dry them out a bit, but it made mine stop squealing. You can tighten the belt a little too.

i think it is oily. i just sprayed all the belts with some degreaser and rinsed it off. hopefully this will fix the squeal.

gamemannn 01-05-2005 10:25 PM

the degreaser seems to have worked. thanx :hpydance:
now i can roll by hot chicks and not have to worry about the squealing......jk :burnout:

CanyonCarver 01-06-2005 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by gamemannn
i think it is oily. i just sprayed all the belts with some degreaser and rinsed it off. hopefully this will fix the squeal.

hmmmm :doh: ..... I wonder if this has to do with your oil leak in your other thread? Front oil seal?

gamemannn 01-06-2005 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
hmmmm :doh: ..... I wonder if this has to do with your oil leak in your other thread? Front oil seal?

my thoughts exactly. i really need to get that leak fixed :doh:

bardabe 01-06-2005 05:30 PM

LOL those where my worries when My belts squealed. it was badly. I would park next to a rel bucket car @ school so when I fired my Z up everyone thought it was the GEO next to me. iw as just like... "ohh [no] I better get outa here" btu now it's fixed and i need to tigten em again. they are finaly stretchigna little so I gotta go adjust them right. :D :thumbsup:

My Fairlady Z 01-06-2005 05:57 PM

Mines funny, it only squeals when I start up the car only once in awhile. Then once I shift to 2nd (doesn't matter what RPM) it goes away. Probably accessory belts.

lightspeed 01-06-2005 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by My Fairlady Z
Mines funny, it only squeals when I start up the car only once in awhile. Then once I shift to 2nd (doesn't matter what RPM) it goes away. Probably accessory belts.

Or maybe a small animal teathered to your rear bumper that can't keep up after first gear?

bardabe 01-06-2005 06:41 PM

could be. Mine squealed only when I fired it up then I reved it a cluple thousand times and it went away.it was funny tho. evryone stared nd pointed @ the geo. I was just chillin for a while. Hatchback civics wouldhit up the poor GEO.it was funny tho. :burnout: