300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Turbo change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Turbo change.

Iv decided to change the turbos myself that way i can have more money for more mods. Only thing is the turbos on the car now are blown. Does that mean whatever went through there could be just waiting there till i finish to go right off in the engine and blow it, or will the factory intercoolers would of stopped it. Iv started the car a few times to let it idle so it wouldnt set up and it seemed ok, but i know that doesnt mean anything. How can i check to make sure everythings ok.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Über User

why would anything have had to "gone up there" w/e that means. turbo's just blow sometimes. seals go crape and fry them or they just age bearings fail and the shaft plays or mashes the blades or the bearings freeze. unless you started chucking the kitchen silverware into the intake i doubt you have something up there. the turbos usually fail internally on the shaft section so hard for something to get into the hot pipes. also if something did and could make it past the intercoolers it would have already. thats a weird question
Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Reason i am asking is cause the guy at z1 in performance and tech said that if the turbos blown with that low of miles then something for sure went through it sounds like. I had new head gaskets put on and the guy said i had bb's in my vaccuum lines. I didnt really get why he said that because when i took it there it didnt. Z1 said if i had bb's in the it could of passed throug the turbo, blown it and be in the intercooler waiting for the nest high pressure burst to go into the engine. I didnt know if he was lying to get me to bring it there to get my money or what. I just had to be sure. Thats whats weird though, i took it to get head gaskets put on, and when i picked it up after nearly a month the turbos were blown and were fine b4. Theres no smoke at all when it runs, so could it be something else like a blown turbo gasket.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Oh ans another ?. The cheaptest gt600 kit i could find was around $2500, but i found the turbos brand new at modacar for $850. For the pair the guy said he could get me a lil deal on it, mayb for $1500. The only thing the kit $2400 kit comes with is gaskets and oil lines. Why would it be that big of a difference. If i get those from modacar.com for $1500 and buy my own gaskets would it for sure fit. I know i gotta get different downpipes also. Heres the site http://www.modacar.com/products/Niss...induction.html