300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

reconditioning motor and turbos. plz help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 AM

reconditioning motor and turbos. plz help

Hey guys, its time i think for my zxtt to hav a full engine overhall. I want the turbos also done as well as new wiring harness and new pipes. I have $6000 and im not sure how to spend it in terms of what parts shld be aftermarket or nissan. Aswell as what shld be upgraded or what should be left standard. At the moment everything is stock. I would really appreciate any advise you may have! Thanks!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
caught the z fever

we need more info on your z. mileage, mods, certain problems, and what you want the outcome to be.

go thru rizz'z link page below to see all the vendors. to begin with, courtesyparts, z1motorsports, conceptzperformance, and importpartspro are good vendors with rebuilt engines
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM

well i got 6000 now to spend. 130000 miles. Want the turbos and engine redone. 400hp is enough for the meantime. No need to have anymore now. Done the exhaust, wana fit air intake, intercooler, and boost controller. thats that! now just need to know how to spend the cash. want my engine to be reliable! thats most important. those upgrades i talked about arent that necessary now as i can pretty much do it myself once the major stuff is done. Its the internals that i need to have done now along with the piping and wiring. Hope that explains it.

So cost break down as well as what shld be nissan or aftermarket and what shld be stock or upgraded? thanks bro!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

dunno if 6k is gonna be enough.
if you want internals done, depending on what exactly you mean, you could go thru all that cash just there.
if the engine is in good working order then just get the bolt ons you already mentioned. if it isn't, start there.
Start with repairs first, then upgrade. Search around for vendors if you want to get upgraded internals. there are various companies that make parts and you'll just have to choose who to go with. I'd worry more about who is going to do the work on your car as opposed to the parts. Labor is going to determine more of your cost and quality then the actual parts you choose to install.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by justmeeematt
well i got 6000 now to spend. 130000 miles. Want the turbos and engine redone. 400hp is enough for the meantime. No need to have anymore now. Done the exhaust, wana fit air intake, intercooler, and boost controller. thats that! now just need to know how to spend the cash. want my engine to be reliable! thats most important. those upgrades i talked about arent that necessary now as i can pretty much do it myself once the major stuff is done. Its the internals that i need to have done now along with the piping and wiring. Hope that explains it.

So cost break down as well as what shld be nissan or aftermarket and what shld be stock or upgraded? thanks bro!
-Tear block down to the main bone, have it hot tanked and resurfaced.
-have head hot tanked, resuarfaced and all valves reseated, new valve seals
-Crank knife edged, balanced and measured
-New OEM Bearings all arround
-New Oil Pump
-New Water pump
-New pistons, rings, and wrist pins(OEM)
-Cometic Multy Layer metal HG
-Extrude honed Intake and Exhaust manifolds
-HKS GT2530 or JWT Sport 550's
-Electronic Boost controler of your choice (I recomend Greddy Profec B Spec II)
-Nismo Motor and transmission mounts
-RPS Max Street clutch
-Z1 1 piece aluminum Driveshaft
-Griffin Radiator
-AshSpec Intercoolers and Hardpipes
-Doolz Intake
-AshSpec ECU rom tune
-Apexi Intake Filters
-Test pipes and Exhaust of your choice (I recomend HKS)
-SAFC II, Wideband, and a Dyno to fine tune.
and ofcourse the 120K mile timing belt kit should have the rest. i might have missed some stuff but this is off the top of my head. i think it's doable with 6K
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
caught the z fever

theres no way he can do all of that for 6k bard. 530s/2530s are $3000 themselves. hes only looking for 400hp anyways.

there is this tho
http://www.amzperformance.com/z32/pr...ucldtfd71ania4
and this
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...roducts_id=951

amz used to have a completely stock overhaul package, but i couldnt find it this time. try contacting them to see what kind options you could get. its probably $1k+ cheaper

go to courtesyparts.com for all of your hoses and such.

Last edited by b300z; 04-23-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Why are you rebuilding it now? Are you experiencing any problems, or are you just upgrading?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks guys for the advise uve given so far. Bardabe, thanks for that breakdown but like b300z said, i only have 6000 and im not looking for anything over 400hp at the moment. so i duno if you cld come back to me with that in mind?
91zxtt- Im havin loads of problems.. from oil pressure problems to major hesitation (No boost) so i just thought it was time to get everything fixed.

b300z- that amz page wont load.. On the Z1 page, must i send them my engine to recondition? That wouldnt be possible coz i live in africa.. Wld have been an option to order from them and have them send the package to me but not if i have to send them my motor.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Another thing, what would be cheaper, ordering a complete front clip from Z1 or buying all the pipes, wiring harness, pistons, bearings etc seperately? Im also worried to buy a front clip and get it not running well.. and then hav to do repairs and replace or recondition parts.. help!!??
Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Über User

you can buy long blocks from them pre-built adn then turbos adn install

and dude, africa. holy crap thats far. my meteorology teacher is from africa, he's cool, abeh humphrey is his name.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 PM

cld sumone maybe explain to me what the diff is between longblock short block and the stock blobk in my car??
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 AM
caught the z fever

b300z- that amz page wont load.. On the Z1 page, must i send them my engine to recondition? That wouldnt be possible coz i live in africa.. Wld have been an option to order from them and have them send the package to me but not if i have to send them my motor.

it worked for me..amz engine

concerning your engine, if you decide to get it rebuilt at a vendor in the US, you can pay a core fee. they build an engine of theirs first, then ship it to you. then you install the new one, and send the old one back to them. or you can find someone who is selling their engine for cheap, and have them send i to a vendor for the core charge

a shortblock is just the block, and internals. a longblock includes everything except intake, exhaust manifolds, all accessories(ie, ps pump, alternator, etc.) and turbos.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by bardabe
-Tear block down to the main bone, have it hot tanked and resurfaced. 60$
-have head hot tanked, resuarfaced and all valves reseated, new valve seals60$
-Crank knife edged, balanced and measured150$
-New OEM Bearings all arround 75$
-New Oil Pump about 200$
-New Water pump (included in 120K mile kit)
-New pistons, rings, and wrist pins(OEM) 150$
-Cometic Multy Layer metal HG 150$ for both
-Extrude honed Intake and Exhaust manifolds (don;t know)
-HKS GT2530 or JWT Sport 550's used U can get them (HKS) for like 400$ a piece.
-Electronic Boost controler of your choice (I recomend Greddy Profec B Spec II) 320$
-Nismo Motor and transmission mounts 200ish
-RPS Max Street clutch 450$ or so
-Z1 1 piece aluminum Driveshaft not sure
-Griffin Radiator about $400
-AshSpec Intercoolers and Hardpipes IC 800$ hardpipes not sure
-Doolz Intake 225$
-AshSpec ECU rom tune 250$
-Apexi Intake Filters 120$ for both
-Test pipes and Exhaust of your choice (I recomend HKS) arropund 800$
-SAFC II, Wideband, and a Dyno to fine tune. 250$ SAFC 300$ Wideband Dyno time you are on your own
and ofcourse the 120K mile timing belt kit should have the rest. (600ish) i might have missed some stuff but this is off the top of my head. i think it's doable with 6K
Prices added to how much it woudl cost me
Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
caught the z fever

Prices added to how much it woudl cost me
how do you plan on getting 6 new pistons and a piston ring set for $150?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by b300z
how do you plan on getting 6 new pistons and a piston ring set for $150?
Pison rings, not pistons. pistons are i believe arround 60$ a pop. so if U want all new pistons then ehhh add 360$ to that
Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 PM

If your planning on doing all of the work yourself, I would pull the engine and start taking it apart. Your oil pressure problem could be as simple as an oil pressure sending unit; which is very common. Have the heads rebuilt ($250 - $300). Replace the turbos with Z1 575s ($1k). Upgrade to 555 NISMO injectors ($925). ASH ECU ($300). JWT intake ($100). Catback exhaust ($1k). Upgraded clutch and flywheel ($750). New wiring harness, gaskets, and hoses. You could upgrade your intercoolers also.

With the setup, you could probably reach 400HP at only 13 psi. You could safely run up to 19 psi; which would be closer to 500HP.

If/when you tear it apart and you find that the cylinder walls and or pistons look bad, then scrap my idea.....rebuild with stock internals. Add an ecu, intake and exhaust and you're at 400HP. You should probably upgrade the injectors while you're at it.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys for the advise uve given so far. Bardabe, thanks for that breakdown but like b300z said, i only have 6000 and im not looking for anything over 400hp at the moment. so i duno if you cld come back to me with that in mind?
91zxtt- Im havin loads of problems.. from oil pressure problems to major hesitation (No boost) so i just thought it was time to get everything fixed.

Africa? Sweet! You can get the blaster system
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM

for 6k?

-Tear block down to the main bone, have it hot tanked and resurfaced.
-have head hot tanked, resuarfaced and all valves reseated, new valve seals
-Crank knife edged, balanced and measured
-New OEM Bearings all arround
-New Oil Pump
-New Water pump
-New pistons, rings, and wrist pins(OEM)
-Cometic Multy Layer metal HG
-Extrude honed Intake and Exhaust manifolds
-HKS GT2530 or JWT Sport 550's
-Electronic Boost controler of your choice (I recomend Greddy Profec B Spec II)
-Nismo Motor and transmission mounts
-RPS Max Street clutch
-Z1 1 piece aluminum Driveshaft
-Griffin Radiator
-AshSpec Intercoolers and Hardpipes
-Doolz Intake
-AshSpec ECU rom tune
-Apexi Intake Filters
-Test pipes and Exhaust of your choice (I recomend HKS)
-SAFC II, Wideband, and a Dyno to fine tune.
and ofcourse the 120K mile timing belt kit should have the rest. i might have missed some stuff but this is off the top of my head. i think it's doable with 6K
not for 6k! besides why do all the internal work for 400hp. a good engine can withstand 550-600rwhp on stock internals.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by derekinthez
not for 6k! besides why do all the internal work for 400hp. a good engine can withstand 550-600rwhp on stock internals.
because you have the money for it now, and because eventually you are going to want more and you don't wanna be stuck with a blown piston ring because you cheaped out and didn't do it right he first time.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 PM

because you have the money for it now, and because eventually you are going to want more and you don't wanna be stuck with a blown piston ring because you cheaped out and didn't do it right he first time.

I disagree....

A) He doesn't have the $ money now. Your estimate is grossly low.
B) Not all people want more than that.
C) Not all people need to push a car to it's limits.
D) Not all people would feel comfortable driving a car with that much power. E) Not all people are capable of maintaining a car with that much power.

There's more to life Bard.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I disagree....

A) He doesn't have the $ money now. Your estimate is grossly low.
B) Not all people want more than that.
C) Not all people need to push a car to it's limits.
D) Not all people would feel comfortable driving a car with that much power. E) Not all people are capable of maintaining a car with that much power.

There's more to life Bard.
Makes perfect sence. I gotta start thinking out of the box huh.... well I guess you are right. so yeah Listen to 91 he knows best.