ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   rear diff. swap question (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/rear-diff-swap-question-7652/)

twinturboguy 11-19-2003 10:54 AM

rear diff. swap question

Just wanted to see if someone could double check with me, and make sure I have the method to replace the differential correctly. This is what I am thinking:

First, I just wanted to double check my procedure I am going to follow. All that is needed is pretty much drop the propeller shaft, then remove the axles, then remove the lower mounting bolts, place a jack under it, slightly jack it up, then remove the top mounting bolts. That sounds too easy. My main concern is removing the axles. It seems like you just remove the 4 or 5 bolts that hold them onto the differential, then just slightly pull them out, and thats it. Is that really all involved? Is there a gasket or seal between that needs to be replaced? And in the service manual, it says to support the suspension to keep it from twisting or breaking. What part of the suspension would need to be supported.

Thanks for any info. I am just trying to find out what I am going to be getting myself into tomorrow, and make sure this is a DIY procedure. Thanks.

Riz Z Speed 11-19-2003 08:51 PM

Here, this'll help.

Just be careful of the spline threads on the axles, you don't want to damage those. You'll also want to place the jack under the differential before you loosen any of the transmission mounts. You'll also be wanting to place some straps or chains around it to attach it to the jack so it doesn't decide to roll off of it. Don't forget to empty out the gear oil out of it or else you'll end up wearing it. This'll be a good time to go out and buy some synthetic gear oil for later.
I've included some diagrahms of the rear suspension that should give you a clearer idea of how everything goes together.

Riz Z Speed 11-19-2003 08:52 PM

Ok, my bad. That was the driveshaft...

Here's the rear suspension.

Riz Z Speed 11-21-2003 12:08 AM

Oh...BTW

Are you swapping out the TT diff for the N/A diff?
If that's what you're doing, are you doing it for drag reasons?
Or are you installing a different limited slip diff?

NISMO LMR 11-25-2003 06:42 PM

When we did this, we didnt support anything with the suspension... Mistake maybe??? o well, she runs straight, so im not worried about this. We didnt swap anything out, just bead blasting up all the underbody parts, and painting them black and Red, to match color scheme of car. Anyways, it looks good to me. peace:p

my choice is what I choose to do and if I'm causing no harm it shouldn't bother you your choice is who you choose to be and if your causin' no harm then you're alright with me

<b>if you don't like my fire then don't come around cause I'm gonna burn one down yes I'm gonna burn one down<b>
-Ben Harper