ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   push button ignition (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/push-button-ignition-16713/)

justinmy300z 01-27-2006 12:44 AM

push button ignition

yes i just keep coming with the questions!
I am putting in a push button ignition and wanted to know if anybody else has ever done this. I am MECP certified and have years of experience with this kind of stuff, but i have never done any actual work on this car. I can/will fiqure it out, but wondered if any of you guys had any ideas.
I am not worried about the actual push button start, my concern is with the ACC wiring. I want to eliminate the key switch all together and route it all to a single toggle switch. I know i can do it, i just dont know the amperage. can a single 30 amp relay and 30 amp switch do it? or do i need dual realys and dual switches?

RPS13_GZ32 01-27-2006 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by justinmy300z
yes i just keep coming with the questions!
I am putting in a push button ignition and wanted to know if anybody else has ever done this. I am MECP certified and have years of experience with this kind of stuff, but i have never done any actual work on this car. I can/will fiqure it out, but wondered if any of you guys had any ideas.
I am not worried about the actual push button start, my concern is with the ACC wiring. I want to eliminate the key switch all together and route it all to a single toggle switch. I know i can do it, i just dont know the amperage. can a single 30 amp relay and 30 amp switch do it? or do i need dual realys and dual switches?

I (w/ the help of a friend) did this to a CRX I had, all we did was wire up a switch to the power lead on the ignition (the one that turns on the accessories)(the ignition was already removed, so it made it easy), and then wired up a push button to the starter to turn on the car. It worked great every time, I wish I could give you pictures, or a diagram or something, but that is all it really took and wasn't too difficult to do. Maybe someone else can get more indepth for our cars?

ZLover4Life 01-27-2006 07:08 AM

... what's the point?

nismo613 01-27-2006 08:15 AM

It's a novelty...kind of like angel eyes.

RodMoyes 01-27-2006 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nismo613

Heh heh heh... :)

emo236 01-27-2006 08:41 AM

ROFL! Have to admit...that was witty.

justinmy300z 01-27-2006 10:33 AM

keys

ok, thanks. ya it wont be hard. I too said whats the point when i had to do it to customers cars...because you still had to put the keys in and turn the ignition on. With that said, i am doing it because my ignition is totally jacked up and the car can be started with any object that resembles a key. So, i will hide the ACC toggle switch and have the nifty "angle eyes" push button start..lol. I will hardly ever use it though because i put in an alarm w/remote start anyway.

ZLover4Life 01-27-2006 12:45 PM

... touche... :p

nismo613 01-27-2006 12:56 PM

though i must say those look pretty sick.

WhtFairLadyZ 01-27-2006 09:50 PM

I have been considerin doing it. Get a IGNITED DIN panel with the puch button hole already drilled. Move the factory cigerette lighter there. And get the NISMO ON/OFF switch lookin lighter to go in it. Then hide the started button where the cigerette lighter was.

Aphrodite 01-28-2006 12:06 AM

eh, I say leave starter/ignition in plain sight and use a cutout switch for the fuel pump... that way if someone disables your security system, bypasses starter kill, and drives off they will only get a little ways down the road before it dies on em :)

ZLover4Life 01-28-2006 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
eh, I say leave starter/ignition in plain sight and use a cutout switch for the fuel pump... that way if someone disables your security system, bypasses starter kill, and drives off they will only get a little ways down the road before it dies on em :)

actually, it'd only run for about a second... I doubt they'll get far on that (I had my fuel pump control unit die on me, and when I started the car, it started then almost instantly died and that was it)

WhtFairLadyZ 01-29-2006 08:40 AM

I tried wiring up a started kill switch a few weeks ago but I m assuming that this setup just completes a ground circuit when the relay closes. I wired in the toggle switch with an indicator lamp that had a seperate grounding point. When the car sent the signal for the relay the light would turn off. But as soon as the car stopped sending a signal for the fuel pump. The indicator came back on and the fuel pump started back up and my car ran ritch. I thik it was grounding itself out.

bardabe 01-29-2006 01:40 PM

that's because ure suppose to wire it up to the Relay box, (orange and white wire [Ignition coil] and run it to the cabin,) it;s quite simple but yet stupid.

WhtFairLadyZ 01-29-2006 03:06 PM

Yeah i think that is the one I jumpered into. I m going to try it again soon. It s just not high on my priority list.