300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Power Windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Power Windows not working

I took my 1990 Z32 NA (swapped to TT) to a local mechanic to diagnose and fix a rough idle problem, and when I got it back the windows wouldn't go up or down (either side). He told me I probably just needed to replace a fuse (annoying since I gave him the car with working windows and he is a damn mechanic). Anyway it took a while to search for the fuse box diagrams on the net. I couldn't find the location of the power windows fuse, so I just checked all the fuses. They are all fine. I had new injectors put in and he did do some engine wiring harness work. My guess is he cut or disconnected a wire somewhere in the loom. The power door locks and all other accessories still work fine. I did read on the net something about a possible circuit breaker for the power windows that could possibly be reset, but the black and white technical drawings are not clear at all and I don't find anything like a breaker by the fuse panel by the drivers side foot rest. Any ideas would be appreciated. I would prefer to fix this issue myself instead of going back to that mechanic.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Sorry for the bump, but this is a real annoying problem. If anyone at least knows which fuse on the fuse block is for the power windows, I can at least try testing it with a volt meter to eliminate a bad fuse connection.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I believe it's either one of the 20amp fuses, or it could (honestly) be tied into the EPS HICAS 15amp fuse (I had problems with that fuse once, and it caused strange power window symptoms).

Could also be the 10amp ignition circuit on the bottom row...

Even if they don't look bad, replace them... they're cheap, and a fuse can look good while being bad.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM

update

I just now tried replacing every fuse. Still no power windows. All accessories still work including power door locks. Also to clarify, I am trying the window switches on both doors, not just driver side. If there was a cut in one doors wiring, I would think the other would work. If the fuse is good, and the door wiring harnesses are both good, I can't think of what it could be, unless there is a separate circuit breaker. The wiring diagrams I've seen show one, but I have no idea where it is would be located or if it is serviceable.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Well, actually, power for both switches pass through the driver's side (that's why you're able to lock and control the passenger's window from the driver's side), so that logic is faulty.

Along those lines, he didn't trip the window lock, did he? lol
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM

The window lock button was the first thing I tried. I inspected the wiring in both doors and I find no visible breaks or even suspect places. It looks like its not getting power to the switch, yet the fuse has been replaced. I'm still looking for advice if anybody has a clue what it could be. I guess it could be that the window lock button is broken, but it doesn't look or feel any different when I depress it.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Having the same issues!

I have the exact same problem. I even changed out my window amplifier too. Has anyone figured out any other causes to this?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Could be the master switch as main power does run through the master switch as Zlover has already said. I would try here Switch Doctor, Your Power Window Switch Superstore! Electric Window Switches For All Cars. and see if it can be gotten 30 day return policy if it doesn't end up being the issue.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 AM
G30

I had the same problem make sure EVERYTHING is plugged up in the door on both sides. The bose wire is the only one that doesn't have to be plugged in. That's how I fixed my window problem.