ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   odometer stops and starts working (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/odometer-stops-starts-working-5059/)

blkthghts 04-04-2003 12:13 AM

odometer stops and starts working

Does anyone have a clue whats that all about? Is it a cable or a sensor and where the heck is it. I heard near the transsmission. dxd

yage 04-04-2003 09:44 AM

re: odometer

By odometer I'm assuming you mean speedometer also.

This is usually caused by a bad speed sensor. You can test it by reading the voltage from the wires coming from the transmission.

If this is the case, you will notice your power steering changing resistance - pretty dangerous.

should be a quick swap, just loosen the exhaust bolts to get at it.

blkthghts 04-04-2003 04:04 PM

odometer

The correct speed does register but the mileage and/or trip odometer works one day then stops on another day. Strange!!! so does the sensor work for both the mileage/trip odometer and the speed odometer. If its the sensor..... which muffler and on what side left or the right. best regard dana

fantomZ 04-06-2003 08:34 PM

Try this

One day i was driving home from school and being a car nerd, I like to have my trip and odometer rolling at the same time, so when the odometer rolled to 0 i pushed in the trip to synchronize them, i noticed that everything stopped, I gained no miles for about 5-8 miles. So maybe it has something to do with a stuck trip? My best guess.

Boosted_One 04-21-2003 09:58 PM

Here's your answer.....

The odometer on these cars is driven by a small electric motor in the instrument cluster. I have had the same exact problem happen on my last and my present Z with the exact symptoms you describe. Somehow, the motor starts to stick. The way to diagnose whether the motor is bad is to remove it (held with two screws) and rotate it by hand....if you feel any stiffness or a rough spot...it's toAST AND YOU NEED ANOTHER. Unfortunately, the dealer only sells the complete odometer assembly($75) and not just this motor. You will need to acquire another cluster (preferably from someone who trashed their's when they tried to install white gauges and trashed the needles, and swap the motor out and you'll be good to go. If you want to read details on how to get at it go to www.twinturbo.net and look in the FAQ...on intermittent odometer. It has a good write up, but forget the wishfull thinking that you can just lube it.....it's ready to fail completely. When I lubed mine it made it worse....then it just plain stopped.

Good Luck!

outkast19 07-06-2004 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by yage
By odometer I'm assuming you mean speedometer also.

This is usually caused by a bad speed sensor. You can test it by reading the voltage from the wires coming from the transmission.

If this is the case, you will notice your power steering changing resistance - pretty dangerous.

should be a quick swap, just loosen the exhaust bolts to get at it.

my z does the same thing with the odometer and and steering chages resistance but only when i very first start the car, it is very stiff, then loosens up, why is that dangerous?

MetalTear17 07-09-2004 11:24 AM

I AM SO GLAD I READ THIS, it has been driving me crazy why my friggin odometer randomly works, but mines alot worse than your's guys, i get about 1 mile on the odometer like every 5 tanks of gas.... heh anyway thanks agian for input

Riz Z Speed 07-11-2004 10:58 AM

That's one way to keep a low mileage Z. :D
Keep your eyes on the For Sale sections for ppl parting out their cars. Ebay is ok too.