300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

And now its dead...wtf...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
And now its dead...wtf...

i dont know what the F is up with this piece of ****...i drive it for a while last night, babying it everywhere i go, letting it cool before turning off, letting it warm before taking off...
i check the oil and coolant every time i stop, and add fluids where needed...
i drives beautifully all last night, real smoothe, on the way home from mighty i did stall once because i'm not used to the new clutch, got a bit of a scare when it didnt start right away...sat tight for a minute and then tried again, and it fired right up...

today, i wake up, beautiful morning, she fires right up, take it to work at 8AM, at 10AM have a 10 minute break, and some friends at work wanna hear and see it, and it wont start again. it turns over, but it will not fire...tried a few times...then let it sit, pumped gas, tried again...just kept turning without firing up....eventually gave up and got a ride home from a friend...car still sitting at work...

i'm hoping my NA fuel pump went out on me and that's whats causing it not to fire...lack of fuel...the reason i hope its this is because i already won a new tt fuel pump on ebay and its already on the way...would be nice to have that fix the problem, but with all the bad luck i've had with this car, i doubt it'll be that easy of a fix...

but other than that, i really am clueless...i mean, why would it run so nice for a while then 2 hours later not start at all, especially since every maintenance part has been replaced with brand new OEM parts...

please help people...so much money has gone into it...way more than i ever should have...i dont want it to end like this

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-15-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Bad Speller

yeah. your N/A fuel pump tooka big dhit. youre not supose to rev over 3K rpm on N/A pump. so if you did 3500 or so. u maxed it out. congratulations buddy so now U have 2 choises pay like 150$ fora walbro 255 unit.
or liek 260$ for a TT OEM unit. I'd ersonally go with OEM unit. alot more reliable.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-14-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

Location: Cheektowaga, NY...land of nothing but a mall and 10,000 old Polish ladies
i already ordered a tt fuel pump, used with like 15k miles on it, and all hardware comes with it...ordered it two days ago actually, i knew i needed one...but didnt think i would have this problem this soon

now i'm also worried about compression...i have brown foamy coolant, and a lot of people around here are saying it may be because the engine sat in japan for who knows how many years, and all the coolant passages were full of so much **** its gross....i'm going to flush the system out this weekend and refill it all, and see if it clears up...if not, i have a head gasket blown i think...i will also be doing a compression check again this weekend
Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
i already ordered a tt fuel pump, used with like 15k miles on it, and all hardware comes with it...ordered it two days ago actually, i knew i needed one...but didnt think i would have this problem this soon

now i'm also worried about compression...i have brown foamy coolant, and a lot of people around here are saying it may be because the engine sat in japan for who knows how many years, and all the coolant passages were full of so much **** its gross....i'm going to flush the system out this weekend and refill it all, and see if it clears up...if not, i have a head gasket blown i think...i will also be doing a compression check again this weekend
good Idea. and u did't do this before u put your motor in because?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:58 PM
confuzed member

What's the oil look like? Flush your system a few times. Hopefully after all your hard work, you don't have a BHG! that would suck! It's probably the fuel pump or somehting related. Also, run codes on it to check that as well.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Jack Of All Trades

So then, first things first. Pull the fuel line off after the filter. Turn the key. Does fuel spray out?

If yes, it's not the fuel pump.
If no, it might be the fuel pump.
Let us know.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

fuel did spray out, but we had to let some come out of the line before it would start...the pump could not flow through a line aleady full of fuel, couldnt work that hard...tt pump will be here monday at the latest...until then i'm parking it...the oil is not milky or abnormal in any way, so the HG is most likely not blown...the coolant is just gross from the rust and **** in the old *** coolant passages...but the low compression we now believe is result of a bad piston ring...not much easier than a HG problem, but at least it doesnt require pulling the engine...

we think its a piston ring just because we are almost positive its not a head gasket...what else would cause compression to be low in just one cylinder?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Jack Of All Trades

fuel did spray out, but we had to let some come out of the line before it would start...the pump could not flow through a line aleady full of fuel, couldnt work that hard...tt pump will be here monday at the latest...

we think its a piston ring just because we are almost positive its not a head gasket...what else would cause compression to be low in just one cylinder?
If the stock pump works, the tt pump prolly won't fix your problem... we'll see, heh

causes of low compression:
hg
piston
ring
valve / seat
cracked head
cracked block
Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
confuzed member

goodluck with that! THat sucks man!
Old 09-15-2005, 09:04 AM

but the low compression we now believe is result of a bad piston ring...not much easier than a HG problem, but at least it doesnt require pulling the engine...
I dont understand how you could possibly replace a piston ring without pulling the engine
tid bit: when a piston blew on my engine i was able to smell gas in the oilpan...along with low compression.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-15-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Old Polish Lady Lover

no smells of gas...no blown anything other than the ring, we are all but positive...no other signs of any problem anywhere else, no smoke, nothing out of the ordinary...other than slightly low compression...which we will re-test once the car is up and running with the new tt fuel pump within a week just to make sure of what the compression is...if its above 128 which i think is the minimum recommended drivable compression, i will probably just finish this season with it and over winter do a rebuild...which i am about to ask about in a new thread i will be posting shortly...

and Canyon Carver, why dont you think a tt fuel pump will be able to pump enough fuel for the tt engine when the na one wont? i've had several people come look at the car, several hear exactly what happened, and ALL say it is the fuel pump...including a few local ZX enthusiasts...please, enlighten me to what you know that nobody around here knows? because it sounds like i may be important to me in my present situation...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Jack Of All Trades

and Canyon Carver, why dont you think a tt fuel pump will be able to pump enough fuel for the tt engine when the na one wont? i've had several people come look at the car, several hear exactly what happened, and ALL say it is the fuel pump...including a few local ZX enthusiasts...please, enlighten me to what you know that nobody around here knows? because it sounds like i may be important to me in my present situation...
My point was that if the n/a fuel pump currently works, putting in the TT pump won't solve your problems with it running like crap. I believe the n/a pump is good for boosting to 11 psi or so???????

I really do hope that the TT pump solves your problems. maybe you'll be lucky.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 09-15-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mousier158
I dont understand how you could possibly replace a piston ring without pulling the engine
I agree....how do you plan on replacing the rings with the engine in the car? The engine will need to come out.