ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   injen intake (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/injen-intake-32071/)

hxc251 02-21-2011 05:07 PM

injen intake

ive read that there is no such thing as a short ram on the 300z, can someone please give me some insight on the injen short ram. i was thinking of getting it but not too sure if i'll have to put in a maf adapter for the cone

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta....aspx?kc=ffsku

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 05:17 PM

It already has a maf adaptor... Short rams are shit, and only for na engines that need air rammed into the motor. On a turbo car they are useless, not to mention the relocating of the intake results in hotter intake air temp. Which is very bad you want the intake air as cold as possible for max power!

hoov100 02-21-2011 05:25 PM

Short ram intakes are a scam. All the kit is in that link are hard pipes to the TB's and a MAF adapter. I wouldn't waste a dime on anything engine related, other then to improve mpg or reliability on an N/A z32.

hxc251 02-21-2011 05:25 PM

i just got the car and it still has the factory airbox and the air filters are almost straight up black, i didnt want to spend money on the airbox so i was just going to put in a cone, it didn't seem like it had the maf adapter on it. what intake would you recommend on putting on then?

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 05:33 PM

Just replace the filters with good ones, if it's a na an aftermarket filter won't make a noticeable difference...

hxc251 02-21-2011 05:42 PM

yeah its an na, not even a pop charger will make that much of a difference?

ZLover4Life 02-21-2011 05:47 PM

Don't listen to Mrmoose - there are noticeable gains for an NA.

And get JWT POP. It performs better than all others, and costs the same (or often less).

hxc251 02-21-2011 05:49 PM

so should i just leave the stock pipes on there and get a pop?

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life (Post 291382)
Don't listen to Mrmoose - there are noticeable gains for an NA.

And get JWT POP. It performs better than all others, and costs the same (or often less).

You can honestly say an average driver will notice a difference on a na car just by upgrading to a jwt huh? I never said there were no gains, just no noticeable diff with JUST a filter. Besides a Mildy louder car and slighty, oh so slightly better gas mileage a filter won't do squat he could notice.

ZLover4Life 02-21-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by hxc251 (Post 291384)
so should i just leave the stock pipes on there and get a pop?

Yes. Changing the intake pipes for others of the same diameter is purely cosmetic (and larger diameter pipes are only useful on TTs).

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 291386)
You can honestly say an average driver will notice a difference on a na car just by upgrading to a jwt huh? I never said there were no gains, just no noticeable diff with JUST a filter. Besides a Mildy louder car and slighty, oh so slightly better gas mileage a filter won't do squat he could notice.

If you didn't notice a difference in power, it's because your engine has other issues that are draining power... such as vacuum leaks. A healthy NA (the only kind that anybody should be modifying, and yet are rare because most NAs weren't taken care of) will yield noticeable gains.

P.S. Only a narrowminded ricer would think that peak horsepower is the only useful benefit of a modification... the fatter powerband (and thus more responsive engine) is a real-world noticeable benefit of a less restrictive intake.

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 06:03 PM

Ok we shall see, get the jwt filters bud. Keep us posted and let us know if you feel a difference.

hxc251 02-21-2011 06:04 PM

i got a '95 n/a, with 95k miles on it, it was in a storage for the past couple years before i got it. im getting the transmission swapped to a manual hopefully next month, a lot of people have been saying to just sell it and get a tt but i want to keep it. not really sure what to work on first

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 06:14 PM

If you are looking to modify for power, sell it and get a tr for sure. If you just want a nice car I would say keep it, put a good suspention set up on it and drive the crap out of it.

hxc251 02-21-2011 06:16 PM

its in such good condition that id feel robbed if i sold it.

ZLover4Life 02-21-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 291388)
Ok we shall see

Your skepticism amuses me, given your post history ("should I put the same turbo as my Ford Ranger on my Z32?" and "how can I tell the difference between TT and NA heads?" come to mind - both demonstrating ignorance to the Z32).

I can find much more testimony than this - http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...&forum=general

Increases in performance due to the ECU, intake, and exhaust are certainly noticeable, however they are completely overshadowed compared to any upgrades in a TT.
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...&forum=general

I had an NA for 7 years, and went from stock to all the bolt ons.
[...]
I would recommend going with the ud pulley, single pop intake, and a master cylinder brace. I think these parts give the best all around driveability and performance improvements for your dollar.
Sorry, but you have much research to do before anybody considers you to be an authority on modifying these cars.

Gains on a TT are obviously more substantial (there's even a 20rwhp gain on an otherwise stock TT by going from single POP to dual POP), but that doesn't imply that the NA's gains are not noticeable.

hxc251 02-21-2011 06:29 PM

zlover thanks for the links, thats exactly what i was looking for but just couldnt find it, i appreciate all the help

Mrmoose 02-21-2011 06:38 PM

Yeas an you who has never worked on a na z32 should have all the answers... The holset on my ranger has been used on the z31 with great success, similar to the gt30r turbocharger. And I asked opinions not "should I put on"

and again about the gains I was talking about a filter only, obviously gains are noticeable when more than a few are done...

hoov100 02-21-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 291394)
Yeas an you who has never worked on a na z32 should have all the answers... The holset on my ranger has been used on the z31 with great success, similar to the gt30r turbocharger. And I asked opinions not "should I put on"

and again about the gains I was talking about a filter only, obviously gains are noticeable when more than a few are done...

And me have owning three N/A's and having worked on more then I can count, agree's with Zlover. They are similar, but thats as far as it goes. They are not the same, nor will ever be the same regardless of how "similar" they may seem. Lastly there is no way in hell to compare a z31 against a z32, it's like comparing 63 vette to an apache helicopter. Quit being a dumbass, do a some reading and get back to us when you actually know your way around z's.

ZLover4Life 02-22-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 291394)

As a n00b, I wouldn't expect you to know that I worked at Ultimate Z, nor that a (now former) friend of mine bought an NA after I had my TT, etc etc etc

The first philosophical imperative is to not speak about things of which you have no knowledge. I'm pretty sure you don't know shit about me, and you don't know much more about NA Z32s. :)

NismoPick 02-22-2011 10:19 PM

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5877768_n.jpg

S_R_A_M 03-05-2011 08:11 PM

Has anyone tried a short ram air intake with the JWT POP? I have recently aquired a 93 N/A and love it (my first z). I have done some research on the venturi effect in my Machine Design Class, and i understand how it can increase the efficancy of air flow. The POP is a on its way, but is it a good idea to combo it with an intake? Thanks

hoov100 03-05-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by s_r_a_m (Post 292001)
has anyone tried a short ram air intake with the jwt pop? I have recently aquired a 93 n/a and love it (my first z). I have done some research on the venturi effect in my machine design class, and i understand how it can increase the efficancy of air flow. The pop is a on its way, but is it a good idea to combo it with an intake? Thanks

:075:

ZLover4Life 03-05-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by S_R_A_M (Post 292001)
Has anyone tried a short ram air intake with the JWT POP? I have recently aquired a 93 N/A and love it (my first z). I have done some research on the venturi effect in my Machine Design Class, and i understand how it can increase the efficancy of air flow. The POP is a on its way, but is it a good idea to combo it with an intake? Thanks

Please post back after you receive your POP charger. Then you'll see how unnecessary your question was.

S_R_A_M 03-07-2011 06:35 PM

I would rather ask then waste the money. Thanks for the input.

ZLover4Life 03-07-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by S_R_A_M (Post 292065)
I would rather ask then waste the money.

Originally Posted by S_R_A_M (Post 292001)
The POP is a on its way

Sounds to me like you've already ordered a POP charger. When you receive it, you'll (hopefully) realize your question was dumb.