ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   electrical drain (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/electrical-drain-8991/)

seafbyrd 04-14-2004 02:02 PM

electrical drain

I own a Z32, here in MIAMI, the thing runs really good, let it sit for a few days without starting it, sometimes a week, I will come back to drive it and no start till I charge it up, charged up, starts, runs great no other indications. I have been told that there are some connectors in the alternator that can stick when it is turned off and drain the battery. If that is it- how can one check out the alternator? - or do you go to a shop?

91zxtt 04-14-2004 03:03 PM

Most auto parts stores will check your alternator and your battery for free. That's the easiest way to go. I've never seen an alternator fail in the way you are describing. I bet your battery is a bit weak in the knees. How old is your battery? Check the water level in the battery. If you jump start the car, does it keep running after the jumper cables are disconnected? If so, then it's more likely a battery issue instead of the alternator. If not, then you can suspect the alternator. Check you ground terminal for corrosion. Isn't the electrical/charging system fun. :rolleyes:

Riz Z Speed 04-15-2004 01:14 AM

Battery.

2nd.

chrisc0623 04-15-2004 06:45 AM

I'ld go wit the battery too. If you didn't put it in you can check to see how old it is by the code. It's ussually a round sticker with a letter and number.
a= Jan.
b= Feb
etc
the number is the year. Anything more than 4 years old and the battery probably needs replaced. Most auto stores will check them for free.

seafbyrd 04-16-2004 03:41 AM

Thanks-Here is the REST of the STORY-

This is a new Die Hard of 8/03, I took it in and they charged it for an hour. Previous to this I had a new NAPA battery that lasted one replacement, two replacement, over a couple of years-. It seams like I have to drive the car evryday if I want it to keep going. It is a conv, and I am trying to keep the miles down (69K). I put in a new battery and start it maybe twice a week, sometimes longer. So when I come back to run it I have to charge it up. I took it to an alarm/audio shop and had it checked for a battery drain when the ignition is off and they only did a short check and said there was no drain when in the off position. Since then I have learned ther could be some electrical equipment that will switch on when the car is sitting there. The only things changed out are Radio work- and by the way I would like to shoot the PYTHON if I could find it. It is really the owner of the car. So this week when my DIE HARD was dead, I took it in for replacement and that was were I was told about the alternator. But once it is jumped off with any battery in it it runs great. So what I think I need to do now is move to some other electrical possible problem area-any ideas from there- once again thanks for your replys, and my dog ZEKE thanks you too.

undefined

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Most auto parts stores will check your alternator and your battery for free. That's the easiest way to go. I've never seen an alternator fail in the way you are describing. I bet your battery is a bit weak in the knees. How old is your battery? Check the water level in the battery. If you jump start the car, does it keep running after the jumper cables are disconnected? If so, then it's more likely a battery issue instead of the alternator. If not, then you can suspect the alternator. Check you ground terminal for corrosion. Isn't the electrical/charging system fun. :rolleyes:

91zxtt 04-19-2004 10:09 PM

Take the car to another shop to have it tested for an electrical drain. If it's a new battery, then it'll hold a charge for much more than a week.

If you disconnect the negative terminal, then reconnect it, is there a tiny spark when you touch the cable to the terminal again? If so, then you have something pulling on the battery.

Check the simple stuff, such as cabin lights turning off. Check the main ground (located behind the battery (attached to the firewall). You need to remove the battery to get to it. If the ground is inadequate, then the battery won't charge properly.

Riz Z Speed 04-20-2004 12:40 PM

Aftermarket stereo components could also be a culprit. If not wired correctly, they could cause a drain. Otherwise a short somewhere would be the only other possiblilty I could think of.
Have you had anything electrical replaced or worked on before you started experiencing this problem?