ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/)
-   -   Ebay Z32 prices..edmunds, kbb... (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-performance-technical-47/ebay-z32-prices-edmunds-kbb-3786/)

TheEclipseGuy 10-11-2002 10:48 AM

Ebay Z32 prices..edmunds, kbb...

Was kinda bored, cos i didnt have class today, so = )

in continuing my quest to find THAT special Z32, i decided to look around at places that accurately rate and price the z32. Interestingly enough, they differ quite a bit...for example..i happened to look upon a 1990 Z32 on ebay...136,000 miles, leather, CD..etc..failry nice car...it was approaching the $6,000 mark at 5,900...kbb had that specific vehicle priced at $5,600..now i know that in essence a vehicle or product is worth as much as a certain indivdual is willing to pay for...but i mean...where does it cap off? I've been told Edmunds.com has a nicely realistic True Market Value (TMV) representation, so i decided to surf on over there...amazingly enough, buying from a private seller gets an average selling price of $4,533 for a 1990 std GS 300zx....wow...do people actually sell this low? Then I thought again....Z32's are becoming old enough and higher miled, so that in essence, the cost of repairing a sick Z32 would be the same or more than its actual TMV...therefore making it not worth the price of the vehicle...Another thing i wonder is..I see ads for Z32's all the time with higher mileage (such as 140,000) still attempting to get $8000 out of their car. Now, i know that when selling a car, the seller always sets the price a bit high, so that they can comfortably work down from there...but do some people actually think they'll get that kind of money for their cars? I dont know...in my quest for THAT Fairlady, im having many questions.....oh, and btw, sort of off the topic of this post, but...say I bought a Z32 with about 110,000 miles on it...would $4-6 thousand dollars set aside for repairs be enough?

Thanks guys!
Jim

xechnostreetz 10-14-2002 08:42 AM

Re: Ebay Z32 prices..edmunds, kbb...

I don't own a Z (atleast not yet) I am the same way been searching and searching. Prices for a 1990 NA around 130,000 to 140,000 miles are anywhere between, $5000 to $8000. These are cars I have seen in person or off EBay. right now book values are not a concern. as you stated before the price of ANY car is of the beholders and the customers. The question is what are you willing to spend? Of course you MUST take the repair history and what needs to be repaired into consideration before buying the car. Even in the Metropolitan are of Atlana, Ga that one Z 1990 arounf 130,000 to 140,000 I have seen anywhere between $5000 to $8500. Now yea they all differed from bodykits to local dealers and so on.. but again all were in pretty good condition nothing that owuld need work for atleast a year.. but look at the price difference of $3500. Now you got to pick and choose what features you want and are you willing to pay $1000 more for a red one instead of a black one? I know I'm rambling on but you shoudl get my point by now. My estimate that I am willing to pay is $4000 to $5000 for a coupe or 2+2. Color doesnt matter. nor does it matter to me if it is a/t or 5spd cause which ever it is I can convert to whichever and have to spend extra which I know but i can do it myself that is the bauty so there is no labor cost. not to mention i can wait till i have extra cash flow on hand before i convert. as far as your side cash, for repairs that is enough in my opinion to have saved up should last a couple of years.. if that isnt towards mods :)

TheEclipseGuy 10-14-2002 11:39 AM

Hey dude..

thanks for the reply..really appreciate it..

As winter sets in, my quest for the Z is going to simmer down just a bit ( winters here in Chicago are WEIRD, so a Z in snow isnt a priority)...unless i find a wicked good deal, im going to wait until the spring. Maybe prices will have gone down by the? lol, i wish...

Also, ebay cars are always WAY strange. For that matter, Ebay deals and prices are WAY strange. My brother picked up a 1999 Eclipse, 5 speed with only 37,000 miles for $7500...thats a WICKED deal. On the other side of the coin..i recently sold my Apple iBook laptop on ebay for $950 ...when in stores they can be had BRAND new, better model for 200 bucks more...Some people just bid on certain things, with certain prices in their heads. Im sure great deal'd Z's can be found more locally though...For example...Just 2 weeks ago, a 300zx was being advertised from a pontiac dealer...1992 n/a..70,000 miles..white, leather..etc...***$5000***...yes, thats right...thats all...i called to see if it was a typo, but much to my surprise, it was not...needless to say, it sold within 6 hours of the dealership opening that day..

xechnostreetz...if you find a z that you want for 4-5000 ...then you let me know..i want to know FOR SURE that people can be haggled down that low. I want to be assured that i wont be paying 2-3000 over blue book value...I have no problem paying $7000 or so for a Z...but if i can know i can haggle someone down that much...ill do it...let me know man!....btw, that 4-5000 stashed away is for repairs only...well...sorta..i'd like some Fairlady tailights and a new exhaust..but THATs all = )

ZxJR 10-14-2002 03:12 PM

I might be buying a 1991 NA this week. The lowest the dealership would come down to is 5600. I think that is very reasonable but the down fall is it has 160,000 miles on it but mostly highway miles to work and back. It has a new clutch and brakes(less than 20,000 miles). Every where else around my area seems to be asking 7,500 or 7,900 for NA's. So I am very interested in this one. If I bought it I am going to get new timing belt, water pump, etc. and a new starter on it(it needs these things). Does this sound resonable?

TheEclipseGuy 10-15-2002 09:13 AM

ZxJr..

Thats a pretty good price...kbb has that car with those miles rated at 8,000 still, so 5600 isnt too bad. If i were you, have some cashed stashed away...at that many miles, i'd assume the tranny and engine will need some work approaching the 200,000 mile mark. ...if i were you, and had some cash left over just in case..i'd definitely hop on it...good luck man!

ZxJR 10-15-2002 01:49 PM

Ok, thats for the advice. Yea I am going to have some money stashed away for repairs or whatever.
Good luck to you also!