ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   thinking of buying a 300zx, please help (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/thinking-buying-300zx-please-help-5931/)

tightflks 06-03-2003 10:04 PM

thinking of buying a 300zx, please help

hello,

Could someone please tell me what the 2+2 is, and if that is better than the twin turbo 300zx. Also, could someone tell me the difference between the cars from 90 - 96. Cause I dont know whichyear to get, and money is an issue. So if theres not that big of a difference, I'll jus go with the 90 or 91. But im very open to opinions. My limit now is about 10,000.

o also the difference between a t top and slick top

thanks

tsefreeflow 06-04-2003 12:09 PM

Ok, the 2 + 2 is nothing more than 4 seats, which the back seats really are not seats that anyone older than 10 could even sit in. Also here in the US they did not make twin turbo 2 + 2's so the TTs are better in terms of speed than the 2 + 2, plus the 2 + 2s are longer, which offers a better ride. To me the cars are pretty much the same between all the years but they made some changes in engine and gadgets. The 1990 is one that you might want to avoid because of the problems involved with the new style which was fixed there after. I would recommend a 1993 and a TT if you can afford one. Just be careful what you buy because many do not properly take care of the turbos in these older cars. As for the slick top and t-top, the slick top is just that, slick, there is no openings or anything. The T-tops have the t-bar roof that the tops can be removed from both the right and left and put in the trunk to go cating around while your hair blows all over the place. I would recommend the t-tops, I love em'.

tightflks 06-04-2003 12:56 PM

ww thnx for your help, that helps a lot

Atomzzz 06-10-2003 01:23 PM

seats in a 2+2

Seats are functional in the back. I'll defend my 2+2 cause theres been at least a dozen times when a hot chick with 1 or two friends needed a ride. They were snug in the back which made better viewing in my rear view mirror. I'll be converting my N/A to TT within the year ........... savin some money doin it with a friend whose stationed in Japan.

Here's some pics....... pics HERE

Riz Z Speed 06-18-2003 05:38 AM

if you like even more information overload you can't beat twinturbo.net vast archive. Be careful of posting dumb questions though, as you're obviously new you'll just as soon get ripped a new one as receive your answer. peace

http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/appendixz.aspx

NISMOSkylineGTR 06-18-2003 07:03 PM

Hmmmm

Agreed you should avoid a 90' TT because they have problems. I have a 90' TT 5speed and I love it. Sure I can't fix 4 ppl in there LEGALLY. But I have fit 2 girls in the back and a girl in the front seat before. As for which year you should get..get a 96 even though it might have a little less power than all the other years...there are less likely to have problems than the 94 and before. 95's and 96's are costly though. They are usually in the upper teens to low 20's.
Twinturbo.net is a great source but don't posted unless you want to get flamed.

By the way Rizzspeed where about do you live...I live about 30 min from chicago.
NISMOSkylineGTRv<<tt.net name

Riz Z Speed 07-16-2003 11:24 PM

you know Six Flags Great America? I live really close to there. Have you made any of the recent car shows? How bout the Windy City Z Car Club show in Villa Park bout a month ago? I was there. Most awesome all Z show!! The guy that does the advertising and represents their club at events won best in his class, people's choice and best of show with an older bright yellow 240Z. The cleanest 3 Carb inline 6 you've ever seen. Almost looks like he doesn't even drive the thing. Wouldn't you know it though, when I went to the last show at Navy Pier, I saw that very same 240Z parked in the city 2 blocks away from Navy Pier. Very Brave Man!!!

jonnyz 07-17-2003 09:38 PM

Skip the 96. They didn't mildly decrease the power, they made it a sissy. Also they are hard as hell to modify. Look around the vendors websites or at a Stealin catalog. See how many parts don't fit the 96. Find a 91 or 92 with fresh turbos and lowish miles. You'll be straight.

Wangster 07-18-2003 11:34 AM

What are some of the things they changed in the '96 model versus the other years?

W

Riz Z Speed 07-18-2003 04:30 PM

The main thing that ppl find undesirable about the 96 is that due to emissions Nissan eliminated the variable timing. More aggressive cams were used instead to sorta make up for the power lost. That and the newer OBDII ECU isn't as tuner friendly as the older OBDI ECU. Those are the main things that ppl don't like. But there are ways around that.

Wangster 07-19-2003 07:34 AM

Thanks rizzspeed

I did some looking around and I found this to be very helpful.

http://www.fiendation.com/300zx/300zxfaq.htm

Riz Z Speed 08-04-2003 12:48 AM

Yeah...that's a great page!! I have it set in my favorites folder so that i can refer to it. Lots and Lots of great info.