ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Tach and speedo wires for turbo timer (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/tach-speedo-wires-turbo-timer-31899/)

Mrmoose 01-25-2011 03:12 PM

Tach and speedo wires for turbo timer

Any one know which wire I tap my wires into for the speedo and tach? According to the service manual the tach is wire 22? For the speedo it has 5 different wires, which one?

hoov100 01-25-2011 07:44 PM

WTF do you need to know the speedo and tach wiring for when installing a turbo timer? the turbo timer just needs to keep the ignition on after the key is out.

ZLover4Life 01-25-2011 08:20 PM

... and a good turbo timer self-calculates the time the turbos need to cool down based on how hard you were driving it for the several minutes prior to turning the engine off, and also kills the engine if the car registers any speed after the key is removed (this prevents THEFT!)...

Familiarize yourself with TwinTurbo.NET. And when I say "familiarize," I mean "do what I did... read everything... even tech articles for products you don't own. You'll find everything you ever need to know somewhere on that site."

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...avcr/avcr.html

Step 6 has your answer.

Mrmoose 01-26-2011 06:54 AM

This turbo timer calculates 0-60 times, 1/4 times and data loggs the rpms... But yes if I wanted a simple turbo timer I could have spent 30 bucks and plugged it rigth in. I guess I'll figure it out on my own with the multi meter....

NismoPick 01-26-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 290142)
This turbo timer calculates 0-60 times, 1/4 times and data loggs the rpms...

Useful info that you SHOULD have included in your first post. :D

[Adam Sandler voice]

Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

Mrmoose 01-26-2011 09:43 AM

That is true... Can't wait to see my 0-60 times and stuff, new toys are great.

WanganDevilZ 01-26-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick (Post 290150)
Useful info that you SHOULD have included in your first post. :D

[Adam Sandler voice]

Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Myles Davis.

hoov100 01-26-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life (Post 290124)
... and a good turbo timer self-calculates the time the turbos need to cool down based on how hard you were driving it for the several minutes prior to turning the engine off, and also kills the engine if the car registers any speed after the key is removed (this prevents THEFT!)....

So will wiring it to the switch for the brake pedal/clutch. I have yet to use/install a turbo timer that needs to be wired into the speedo/tach to calculate how long to keep the motor running.

Guess I'm just splitting pointless pubes here though....

Mrmoose 01-26-2011 05:37 PM

it does not need it to keep it running.... it needs it to calculate 0-60 times, 1/4 times and lots of other data.

anyways i found the wire, thanks for the help.

ZLover4Life 01-26-2011 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100 (Post 290167)
So will wiring it to the switch for the brake pedal/clutch. I have yet to use/install a turbo timer that needs to be wired into the speedo/tach to calculate how long to keep the motor running.

Guess I'm just splitting pointless pubes here though....

lol Then you clearly haven't used or installed many turbo timers. My old Blitz Type II had speedo and hand brake wires... because the car can be driven with the parking brake engaged. Similarly, I can drive a manual car without ever touching the clutch... it's not good for the trans, but it'd get me somewhere that I could gut the car and sell it as parts. I could also drive a Z32 without touching the brake (I'd use the hand brake and not drive fast). But you can't move a Z32 without registering speed (unless you clip the speedo cable). The HKS Type-II also has such wires... (I know because I installed many of them when I worked at Ultimate Z).

Originally Posted by Mrmoose (Post 290142)
I guess I'll figure it out on my own with the multi meter....

Are you a moron? I gave you the answer in the link I posted.

Mrmoose 01-27-2011 12:00 PM

Ha ha ha so you did! I did not even realize there was a link as I was just skimming over looking for the color of the wire. White it is, my mistake. Thank you sir!