ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Need Help about Part I'm ordering tomorrow. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/need-help-about-part-im-ordering-tomorrow-25786/)

The_MuffinMan25 06-01-2008 04:32 AM

Need Help about Part I'm ordering tomorrow.

Okay so I want to order my exhaust tomorrow HKS Hi-Power. I have a 96' TT. On HKS's site it lists this part # 3106-EX003. The description is "NISSAN 300ZX 1990-1995 3.0 Turbo ; Dual Exhaust" (I made sure to go to the manufacturers page to verify my concern) I've punched in HKS-Hi Power, and 3106-EX003 on google. Many places list as 90-95 on these 2 pages (so far in searching) have read the exact same Part # but list as 90-96.

http://www.modacar.com/products/Niss...+Back+Exh.html

and

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/HKS/...-21_p-7794.htm

I'm not sure if the cats could be different or angled differently because of change to OBD II. Is that the correct Part for my car? I havn't found anything stating the exhausts were diffrent between 95' and 96'

Thanks, Tim

Also sorry if there was typo's it's 4:30 in the morning and I just got back from London been up 30+ hours!!!!!!

The_MuffinMan25 06-01-2008 04:39 AM

Also these are the two cheapest sites to Pick up the exhaust from I've found. Ever dealt with them or know where I can get cheaper

After Taxes Shipping and handling= $658.28
http://www.optionimports.com/3106-ex003.html

After Taxes Shipping and handling= $615.23
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/HKS/...-21_p-7794.htm

Thanks Alot!!!

Tim

b300z 06-01-2008 08:04 AM

buy it thru coz @ conceptzperformace.com

have a look at the vendors in rizz'z link page below

The_MuffinMan25 06-01-2008 10:51 AM

Okay they list as just coupe for a selection and no years listed so I'll assume they are the same. I guess its hardly more to pay to go through them and its a sure bet I wont get screwed.

ZLover4Life 06-01-2008 10:54 AM

IIRC, the exhaust flanges on the 96 are rotated. You will have to take the exhaust to a muffler shop, have the flanges cut off and welded in the correct position. Or you could just do a full aftermarket turbo-back and not have to worry about that because it's standardized.

The_MuffinMan25 06-01-2008 10:58 AM

Ordered It!!! Hopefully it will be shipped out tomorrow and I'll get it before the weekend. The kit comes with everything to bolt it in right? I read on another page that it does just makin sure (would be pretty dumb if it didn't)

Tim

ZLover4Life 06-01-2008 11:18 AM

... did you read my post in this thread? It will not just bolt in to your 96 without some work or additional aftermarket exhaust components.

The_MuffinMan25 06-02-2008 12:31 AM

I was typing when you were. when mine posted for whatever reason yours didnt show on my screen and I just read it now. That kinda sucks.

Specialty Z has 2.5" Test pipes and they state the following
"These pipes allow one to connect our 2.5" down pipes, stock pre cats, and other stock location pipes."

Heres the link http://www.specialtyz.com/testpipes.htm

They're saying that I can bolt the test pipes up to the stock-pre cats (downpipes) on the Z correct. I'm asking because I would need a little time to save for the downpipes and it would be hard to find the time to be able to install them since they're hard to get to. This would be one of the aftermarket exhaust components you are talking about correct ZLover.

Or will the Test pipes not bolt up to my stock pre-cats because a 96 has something diffeent there as well? In which case I need an aftermarket DP bolted to my turbo's for the test pipes to work as well.

Man I was excited because this is the newest car I've owned (runner up is a 95') But the differences from the 95's to the 96's is messin with my head.

I was planning on getting the Test Pipe and DP but not all @ the same time (though thats ideal)

If you have any more knowledge please bestow it upon me.

Thanks Tim

ZLover4Life 06-02-2008 12:36 AM

I *believe* the only difference is with the catalytic converters. As such, if you were to get test pipes, the problem should be resolved. However, I don't own a 96 and I'll admit that there's a chance that I'm wrong. I would HIGHLY recommend calling Specialty Z and asking them.

The_MuffinMan25 06-02-2008 12:53 AM

Man I'm glad your up late like me! I'll shoot em a call in the morning! Also Concept Z has a brand called Edge Racing that make DP's and Test pipes for our Z's for only $145 instead of the steep price of $400+. They list as 2.4" which may be less that the 2.5" exhuast I ordered but are better then the Megan racing. Any comments? I'll look where I can get 2.5" DP's and Test Pipes for closer to the 200-300 range I understand DP's being expensive but Test Pipes arnt anthing special.

Tim

The_MuffinMan25 06-02-2008 01:00 AM

I just read on a site about how the diffrence between a 2.4" and 2.5" Testpipe wouldnt be noticed until over 500HP THey could just be trying to sell there product but Kinda make sense since the cats are gone there's so much less restriction that the little diffrence wouldn't wake up the ride any or much more.

Tim

ZLover4Life 06-02-2008 02:11 AM

I have generic test pipes on my car. They don't fit perfect, but you're right... a pipe is a pipe (there's no real technology behind test pipes).

As for downpipes, you won't find anything other than Specialty Z on my car (and Coz doesn't sell downpipes other than SZ... he only sells Edge Racing test pipes, not downpipes).

The_MuffinMan25 06-02-2008 06:51 AM

Not to be a d!ck or anythung but http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...0764.30.109.77

Sounds good I'll get a quality set of DP's when I have cash more accessible and go and order the Test pipe right now hopefully can be shipped with my exhaust or at same time.

Thanks Tim

b300z 06-02-2008 07:11 AM

i just noticed those down pipes recently. honestly SZ or bust.

just talk to Greg or Seb at SZ about the 96 setup today whenever you call. they will let you know everything you need to know

Goofyz 06-02-2008 01:03 PM

I'm going to be the test subject on those

"Cheap downpipes" My application is pretty low power and hopefully they will last....we shall see....only time will tell.

ZLover4Life 06-02-2008 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25

I looked through the exhaust page and didn't see those anywhere... the only Edge Racing product on the exhaust page is the test pipes. Apparently he only put those on the turbo page (which is strange since he has SZ downpipes on the exhaust page).

The_MuffinMan25 06-03-2008 01:05 AM

I called this morning Coz said the flanges on the cat are the only difference so The Edge test pipes will bolt up fine to my pre-cats and the HKS from there. I'm in Cali and they're in Arizona so hopefully ill get them before the weekend. I'm going to Sac Raceway on Wednesday to get my base times so I can see how much of a difference the exhaust makes.

Thanks Again

Tim

ZLover4Life 06-03-2008 01:08 AM

What would you do without me? I'll tell you... you'd wonder how the f*ck you're gonna bolt up that exhaust when you got it. LOL

The_MuffinMan25 06-03-2008 02:01 AM

Yea I would of cursed up and down probably ran it with just cats until the next morning when I'd call Coz with my tail between my legs and then order my test pipe feeling like an idiot.

Weird though I talked to him today hes gonna ship everything at the sametime or together but I just checked and he still hasn't charged me for the parts, Everything was in stock. Hopefully the banks just slow and the order was atleast processed.

Tim

b300z 06-03-2008 07:22 AM

coz will have everything to you in a timely manner

also, dont forget about smogging and such. you have to keep the cat pipes and catback

The_MuffinMan25 06-03-2008 11:33 PM

Yep keeping it all in a shed. Too bad about the flanges on the cats being different would of just had to keep the cats whateva.

Tim

ZLover4Life 06-04-2008 12:10 AM

It's actually much easier to just unbolt the system from the downpipes/precats and remove the cats and cat-back as a single unit. So leave those connected and it'll be nice and easy to do the emissions tests later on. My cat-back has not been removed from the test-pipes since they were installed. lol

snwbrderphat540 06-04-2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
It's actually much easier to just unbolt the system from the downpipes/precats and remove the cats and cat-back as a single unit. So leave those connected and it'll be nice and easy to do the emissions tests later on. My cat-back has not been removed from the test-pipes since they were installed. lol

thats cause IL did something awesome for once and got rid of testing on all vehicles OBDI and older YES!!!!!!!

ZLover4Life 06-04-2008 12:31 PM

Even if that wasn't the case, his cats will not bolt up to his HKS exhaust, so he needs his stock cat-back to bolt up to his cats. Why even separate them at all? Just take them off and put them on as a single unit.

But yes, it is nice to never have to test for that crap again.

snwbrderphat540 06-04-2008 02:50 PM

oops. sorry i was more quoting the fact that you haven't had to touch your cat-back from test pipe setup, but yeah i didn't put two and two together to realize that when we DID have to pass emissions you just swapped the whole thing. lol.