ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Is it legal in the USA to drive a rhd car? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/legal-usa-drive-rhd-car-34540/)

Highlander 02-21-2012 09:56 PM

Is it legal in the USA to drive a rhd car?

I'm from canada and I bought a rhd 300zx tt fairlady from japan it legal to drive in canada, but I want to go to some 300zx z32 meets down south I'm in BC so west coast all the way down would be a nice ride if I can get past the boarder. ANYBODY know if I can cross?

snwbrderphat540 02-21-2012 11:56 PM

Not sure if the laws apply to foreign registered cars, there's nothing illegal about a rhd car, but it is illegal to import and register them for the road HERE, unless they are old enough. But I don't think any of those laws should apply since the car is legally imported owned and registered in Canada.

Rupe 02-22-2012 12:25 AM

Ya I agree with phat540. It's kind of like if you drove over to Quebec where it is now illegal to register (for the first time) a RHD vehicle. The cops wouldn't bust your chops if they saw the BC plates unless you're being a dummy in front of them. Even then, you never know when they might actually give a shit :biggrin:

Bates 02-22-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540 (Post 306896)
Not sure if the laws apply to foreign registered cars, there's nothing illegal about a rhd car, but it is illegal to import and register them for the road HERE, unless they are old enough. But I don't think any of those laws should apply since the car is legally imported owned and registered in Canada.

That's not true. The car needs to meet safety standards and needs to have had proper crash test results. Naturally it is easier to get a 25+ year old RHD car on the road, but if you have a RHD Land Rover that is 5 years old, and you want to register it and drive it in the states, there shouldn't be a problem since it is built on the same platform as a USDM version, therefore it's safety/crash standards would be nearly identical.

snwbrderphat540 02-22-2012 08:57 AM

Yea except you have to prove the crash test results etc which is near impossible. Cars over 25 I thought were exempt though from needing that stuff. Seems like people with rhd s30's just do some paper work and its registered.

Bleach 02-22-2012 01:21 PM

Its illegal. You will be shot on sight if driving a right hand drive car.... preferably with a double-barrel shotgun

But really his question is if you can drive the car into the US and then go back home to Canada at the end of the day. Its no problem.
RHD Skylines come down to Washington all the time; just make sure you go home. Cops don't want those cars down here. The Z32 is far less of an issue since we received the same car in the US when available new.

NismoPick 02-22-2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach (Post 306925)
Its illegal. You will be shot on sight if driving a right hand drive car.... preferably with a double-barrel shotgun

Brings a new meaning to "going postal" since all dem peeps delivering mail drive on the right side of the car! :D

hoov100 02-22-2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540 (Post 306902)
Yea except you have to prove the crash test results etc which is near impossible. Cars over 25 I thought were exempt though from needing that stuff. Seems like people with rhd s30's just do some paper work and its registered.

No you don't, the DOT has a list of cars that are "legal" to import. All except a few just had the manufacturer sign off on them as being "safe enough" even then nothing is stopping someone from bringing in a shell and then registering it as a kit or custom car.

snwbrderphat540 02-22-2012 06:50 PM

If you do and they find out though its illegal. Not likely they'll figure it out but its still illegal.

Lovenpain 02-25-2012 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No there's not an issue being RHD. Mine's a 90 skicktop TT RHD. Fully registered and insured!
Attachment 17978
Attachment 17979

Rupe 02-26-2012 02:34 PM

Yay! Someone with a steering wheel flaking apart just like mine haha. I'm missing those neat buttons and Z emblem though.

Lovenpain 10-05-2012 07:17 AM

Sorry for the really late and delay response, but there's nothing wrong with having the worn out, flakey steering wheel! Lol eventually will get that resolved! Lol

Rupe 10-05-2012 02:21 PM

Hell ya, once the endless maintenance and updating/upgrading is over with eh lol

Lovenpain 10-05-2012 05:28 PM

Hey bro, you might have the answer to this question. I like to install an aftermarket steering wheel. I have functional super hicas. I know there's got to be a hub that allows me to have one that caters to the hicas setup. I did see one that had the cruise control on top. But it mad no reference to the hicas system. Cause it would be awesome to have an aftermarket ith a quick release setup. That way no one would even attempt to try to steal the car without a steering wheel! Lol at least it's a good idea IMHO.

Lovenpain 10-05-2012 08:33 PM

Hey bro, you might have the answer to this question. I like to install an aftermarket steering wheel. I have functional super hicas. I know there's got to be a hub that allows me to have one that caters to the hicas setup. I did see one that had the cruise control on top. But it mad no reference to the hicas system. Cause it would be awesome to have an aftermarket ith a quick release setup. That way no one would even attempt to try to steal the car without a steering wheel! Lol at least it's a good idea IMHO.

Rupe 10-05-2012 10:17 PM

Sorry man, I've never had my HICAS properly function, so I deleted it this year and thus haven't looked into a way to keep it alive with an aftermarket wheel. Would it be possible to take the sensors out of the OEM wheel and put them in or on a new one?

hoov100 10-05-2012 10:54 PM

Just an FYI, the z32 was designed to be LHD, the RHD z32's are notorious for being right side heavy.

Rupe 10-06-2012 08:56 AM

That's interesting, aren't most of the car markets right hand drive to begin with? What was their reasoning for that?