300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Just got a '84 50th anniversary edition 300zx!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 AM

Just got a '84 50th anniversary edition 300zx!

Well my grandpa surprised me for my 23rd birthday with his 300zx which just so happens to be a '84 AE! He is the original owner and I've been in it when I was a kid and always bugged him about giving it to me haha.

Anyway the car has been sitting in his garage for almost a decade, what do I need to do to get it running again???

He is making me put in all the work, but I don't mind (Pics soon)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

download the factory service manual (fsm) from xenon's website. if it hasn't run in 10 years. check fluid levels. new oil, gas, and air filter. put in a new battery and see if it starts. if so you are good. get some new gas in the tank. take it to jiffy lube get the diffy and tranny oil changed. I like redline for the manual tranny and a synthetic for the diffy. New plugs and dizzy cap and rotor. new tires the old ones may be ready to disintegrate.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
download the factory service manual (fsm) from xenon's website. if it hasn't run in 10 years. check fluid levels. new oil, gas, and air filter. put in a new battery and see if it starts. if so you are good. get some new gas in the tank. take it to jiffy lube get the diffy and tranny oil changed. I like redline for the manual tranny and a synthetic for the diffy. New plugs and dizzy cap and rotor. new tires the old ones may be ready to disintegrate.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates.

Thanks for all the info! I am starting this weekend!