ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Hi from Australia (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/hi-australia-9106/)

ZmanAus 04-24-2004 06:05 PM

Hi from Australia

G'day guys, well before i start posting in this forum i thought i would extend the politeness of introducing myself first, My name is Matt i am from Sydney, Australia. I am an Electrical Enegineer so i know a fair bit about electrical circuits.
I drive a 1990 N/A Automatic J-spec (fully imported) 300zx Red in color
Okay question time...PTU's,
My car has series one ptu, this will probably die on me when i least expect it so i want to start taking some action, how hard is it to pull the ptu and replace it with the new one?
And i read somewhere that you can pull the PTU off and re-solder the connections and then re-locate the ptu itself thus avoiding anymore dramas?
Whats do you guys think?
Cheers mate

NISMO LMR 04-25-2004 07:43 AM

Good to meet ya' man! You are in Sydney? How do you like it over there? Im planning on visiting for three years (the maximum time that a normal Visa will allow)

Anyways, to answer your question. Im assuming you have the old polished PTU (Power Transistor Unit)... What you will need to do is this. Get one of the black PTU's, that typically are mounted on the passenger side cam gear cover.

You can relocate onto your upper radiator hose... I've seen this done before, after that, the VG should run like a champ! Welcome to the site bro, peace

-Zoso

ZmanAus 04-25-2004 05:23 PM

Yeah i got the pollished PTU, i saw on a website (forget which one) that they made a bracket and mounted it on the passengers side cam cover (drivers side for you guys).

Anyways, yeah Sydney is good, heaps cold here aout 15-20 degrees celcius...but then again i live on the beach so we get cold southerly breezes from the south pole.
Apart from that sydney is good, cheap fuel, cheap cars, chea[ everything...compared to America that is...so you'll come over here and have a field day...gotta run the Z is callin me

NISMO LMR 04-25-2004 06:09 PM

Well think of it this way... JDM Zed's, everything is backwards to us...

-Brake booster is on the left
-Fuse box is on the left
etc etc etc

Im assuming the PTU would be mounted differently... Got pics I could take a look at?

Riz Z Speed 04-25-2004 11:01 PM

PTU should be on the same side for both versions.
On the left when looking at the engine from the front of the car.

ZmanAus 04-26-2004 12:46 AM

yep

looking at the engine its on the left side...hey another question have any of you guys grounded down or removed the adjustment screw for the block of metal that prevents the throttle bodys opening all the way?
if you don't understand what i mean read on...
you know the little metal assembly that you move to accelerate the engine (whilst standing over the engine) there is a chunk of metal that stops it closing all the way...the reason is nissan tried to reduce power, so by removing this stop you get another 10 RWHP...or so i have read

Riz Z Speed 04-26-2004 05:16 PM

The throttle body mod....I've heard of it. It just allows the butterfly to fully open. I doubt you'd get 10 rwhp out of it though. You'd be lucky to get 1, I think.

NISMO LMR 04-26-2004 05:27 PM

My Z doesnt need any other mods! Haha. I dont think the engine can take much more power, after the rebuild. Im not risking it.

Intake... THATS IT! I'll save the huge upgrade's when I save up enough to get a TT...

You live in Aussey you basta'! I wanna! :p

Riz Z Speed 04-26-2004 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by NISMO LMR
You live in Aussey you basta'! I wanna! :p

Now, now, Nismo. Jealousy will get you nowhere. :p

NISMO LMR 05-08-2004 07:51 PM

Yea Right Riz. :rolleyes:

... Actually thinking about it now man, you've got a good point. Bad things come your way when you get jelous... Take my Z for example. :mad:

NISMO LMR 05-08-2004 07:53 PM

... I was thinking ZmanAus. Why not take your Fairlady down to Unique Auto Sports, and let them do their magic?

zed4life 05-28-2004 02:57 PM

Hey Matt!- Mark from Qld here...How goes it?

RU Registered on aus300zx forum also?