ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Dont Bash on me (FMIC) (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/dont-bash-me-fmic-26982/)

The_MuffinMan25 10-17-2008 02:58 AM

I know I thought I was going to be able to keep the bumper support stuff but I didnt realize how big it was. I was just saying I had been planning on a E-Fan in the future (if I get one it will be a Taurus fan so it actually will help unlike those ebay kits). I'll let you know in like 6 months when I start driving it again the results on how well me engine is cooled. I think your blowing it out of proportion. You're opinionated just like everyone has a right to be. I got it shitty purchase, I'm ignorant. If it doesnt workout then yes I will go back to stock with my head held high. Plenty of people run Front mounts you cant possibly tell me tey are all having issues, if so no one would be dumb enough to buy kits for $1000+ (unless it was some crazy build and they needed a FMIC)

I know I'm shit out of luck it I hit someone or crash I plan to basically make this a cruiser with some pick me up for the drag strip. I'm not going to be driving it often.

To quote a famous bald child with a crazy zigzag shirt- Good Grief...

The_MuffinMan25 04-19-2009 02:32 PM

Dusting this old topic off

A couple months now I've been driving my Z again and I have incurred no heating issuewith my FMIC. Today it finally hit 90 degrees With hotter days finally coming I'll keep you posted but so far even sitting in traffic with AC, taking long drives 1-2hrs, and drifting @ the track I have not seen my temp guage rise at all (any higher than with the sidemounts)

Clutch Fan
Boostin Stock 9psi (it's 9 right thats what I believe I was told)
Can't really think of anything else that would effect the cooling properties of my Z compared to anyone elses.

19twiztedz90 06-21-2009 09:56 AM

i have a front mount apollo intercooler{ was on it when i bought it} and dont have any heat issues, but i also have a big a$$ howe aluminum radiator and a custom noser piece that is compltely open too{stock clutch fan}. dont have any issues with lag or anything really. it's all in your prefrence with smic or fmic, you will always have diff. in opinions as to the pro's and con's, but i will agree that without upgraded cooling the fmic on the z32 will have an effect, i mean it is common sense just looking at them.

ZLover4Life 06-21-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 19twiztedz90 (Post 260988)
it's all in your prefrence with smic or fmic, you will always have diff.

Wrong. Go read my writeup in the General Tech section - Apollo FMIC's negate the natural cross-flow design of the VG30DETT. Please read more before providing insight - misinformation is dangerous.

Not to mention, since it was on your car when you bought it, your comment about not having "any issues with lag or anything" is absolutely null... you have no basis for comparison. Pressure drop is real and the Apollo FMIC has a LOT of it... your car would perform better with any aftermarket SMIC arrangement. You cannot argue the physics and numbers, much of which are posted in my writeup.

The_MuffinMan25 06-21-2009 08:54 PM

Yeah I plan on just getting SMIC's again. After I'm done building my 240sx that is....

The_MuffinMan25 09-04-2009 03:30 PM

Update: Driving on streets in traffic 100+ degree weather no heating issues (I know stock guage can't be trusted!) But if I drive with the AC on in like 98+ it will go to 3/4 on the temp guage. I turn off the AC when it starts to go up or just sweat it out to protect the Z. On the HWY AC on for 2+hours it was fine.

I finally put my FMIC up for sale and am trying to get cash+stock smic's until I can afford bigger SMIC's.

caliitali 06-25-2013 10:28 PM

Someone who actually has an Apollo

a posting that is long since dead, but...

I've had an Apollo FMIC on my Z for 6 years now. Stock clutch fan moves way more air than electric SPALs, don't bother with the electric. For cooling I have a Howe radiator and a few years back I had an Earls oil cooler installed. Never over heated, ever.
I still have the front bumper support. I make 465whp on a mustang dyno at ZCar Garage in San Jose (91 octane California crude).
I installed and 675rs turbos & Z1 motorsports 'wild' cams, 5+, when I got the inter-cooler installed, there is lag until 4K, and then it is a rolling coffin with a Nissan badge.

My opinion: Aesthetically they look badass. I've never personally met someone with a faster Z running side mounts. If you love your 20yr old car, you will upgrade the radiator and oil inter-cooler any ways, it's an insurance policy you only have to pay once. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

As I type this, I don't think Apollos have been made for 5 years. Don't buy it used they catch tons of debris.